Votes: 1 14.3%
    • It shouldn't be added

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    My suggestion is that each ship has a transponder that contains data about the ship like name (current not the name when it was spawned), Faction and Current Pilot. These transponders would always be active however they would only be read when the sector was scanned. This would mean that the scan data would contain not only players in range but also all empty ships in range. It would also display the ships location in addition to the transponder data. There would also be an option in the galaxy map to overlay the most recent scan data. It would allow you to chose what data about ships is displayed on the map. This list would include name, faction, pilot, direction/speed and how long ago the scan was. The location of the ship would be displayed automatically as a dot on the map and the direction/speed would be displayed as a line pointing in the direction and the size representing the speed. There could also be an option to extrapolate their current position from that data (this would fail if ether their speed or direction changes). The other data would be displayed as text. The transponder would always be on and be part of the core not a separate block.

There are 2 possibilities for disabling the transponder signal:

1. The transponder signal could be blocked by a radar jammer and use the current system for unjaming ships using a sufficiently powerful scanner.

2. There could be a transponder inhibitor block that has modules. This would disable the transponder on your ship. The mechanics to reveal the transponder would work like the jump drive and the jump inhibitor. If the transponder inhibitor has more modules then the scanner doesn't receive the signal but if the scanner has more modules then it dose. If they are very similar then the scanner might receive a partial signal that would contain some data but not all. if there are 6 possible data points that the transponder transmits and the scanner has the same number of modules as the inhibitor then the scanner receives a random 3 data points. If the scanner has say 3 more modules then it receives a random 4 data points. If it has 6 more modules it would receive 5 random data points and if it had 9more modules then it would receive all the data. The same is true in reverse for when the inhibitor has more modules.

This would be useful for finding lost ships and tracking people who are not in range of the navigation menu.

Reactions: jgames666
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    those who vote that this shouldn't be added can you please post to explain why so that your problems can possibly be addressed.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I like the first option since it uses existing mechanics and doesn't require new blocks. Many of my ships already have radar jammers to hide me from pirates and other troublemakers so not having to refit my ships is a big bonus.

Reactions: jgames666
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    What exactly would the transponder add, as in what additional info would it provide?
    Please sell me the idea of why I should add this block on my ships.
    I want to know just why I should take up space on my ship with this block instead of say a little stronger weapon system.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    But there is currently another thread which discusses basically the same and has more opinions.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    What exactly would the transponder add, as in what additional info would it provide?
    Please sell me the idea of why I should add this block on my ships.
    I want to know just why I should take up space on my ship with this block instead of say a little stronger weapon system.
    The transponder would always be on and be part of the core not a separate block.
    But there is currently another thread which discusses basically the same and has more opinions.
    then can you pleas link it here as i looked but couldn't find one

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Well then, what does this add to the ship core? Why would I want this feature added to starmade? Sell it to me.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Well then, what does this add to the ship core? Why would I want this feature added to starmade? Sell it to me.
    the main advantage is the galaxy map overlay and the scanning of ships that are not occupied. i admit this could be achieved with out this but i thought it would be better to add some believable reason for this to happen.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I like the idea of scanning to show them on the map. I'm not sold on the transponder block though, since I'm unsure what it would add to the gameplay.

Here's an idea, based on the things I liked. How about a radar scanner that increases your range for seeing ships/planets/asteroids with each scan, and plots the entities on your map for a certain time period?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The transponder would always be on and be part of the core not a separate block.
    why is no one reading this? i am not proposing any new blocks. the transponder is part of the core and the blocker can be part of the radar jammer.