Ship Melee: Energy Melee

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I recently thought up a system to have ship-based melee weapons that is fairly balanced in the current state-of-game. The basic concept is to create a ship mounted ramming / contact melee weapon for ships, that aren't disintigrator modules (which explode on contact).

Energy Melee

Using the working title of Energy Melee, it has similar requirements to the current weapons systems - a weapon computer and weapon modules. Unlike most weapon modules - which are all cubes - the Energy Melee weapon modules come in the full range of shapes available to hull. Also unlike most weapon modules, the Energy Melee weapon modules are placed on the exterior of the ship, as they require direct contact to deal damage to an enemy.

How it works

Energy Melee have two modes, on and off. While on, it deals block damage relative to the speed of the ship it's on. It delas damage to every point of contact. At the max speed (relative to server speeds, unless someone can think of something better), this will destroy systems/decorative/hull blocks outright, deal some damage to armour blocks, and does no damage whatsoever to advanced armour blocks (and their equivilants). This reflects the fact that melee weapons can be used without being powered, but are not as effective (read effective = op) as they could be. When a melee weapon is turned on, it drains energy per second. The energy drained is at an exponential rate for every weapon module linked to the weapon computer (preventing people from covering their ships in melee modules and leaving them turned on). When turned on, Energy Melee deal the ram damage plus damage per second to blocks in proximity (by default ~1m). Any damage while turned on can damage advanced armour (fine tuned balancing is required). This damaging aura is represented by a glowing energy field (eg, shiny particle effects) around the weapon modules while turned on only. The particle effects also linger for a time, effectively leaving a glowing trail to help identify ships using a turned on Energy Melee.

Extra information

Like other weapons systems, Energy Melee could use secondary and effect systems, as well as coloured lights to change the colour of the particle effects.

Energy Melee modules would weigh as much as advanced armour and have high damage resistance values, but would count as system hp. This makes them durable in combat, but not so op as to be needed on every ship.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I like the idea because of the recent mecha designs and the ability to make a ram. On the other had I think most server administrators would prefer people to not be ramming things from the collision detection lag created.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Could be simple and go something like Damage Pulse + Beam slave for the energy sword type weapon? I assume most people don't use damage pulse with slaves currently?

Reactions: Parameter
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Could be simple and go something like Damage Pulse + Beam slave for the energy sword type weapon? I assume most people don't use damage pulse with slaves currently?
    If you mean like having a beam slave change the shape of the pulse generated to be more like a blade than I am all for that.

As for blocks that are meant solely for ramming I cry to think of the lag that would result. Then they would either be too weak to bother compared to a pulse, or so powerful that people just try clipping into each other.