Implemented Save player relative to ship upon logout

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    All of that stuff is cool, but for some reason, to me, it just seems like it'd be simpler to save the character's position on the ship. That would allow beds and stuff to have other purposes. (Survival content will probably happen eventually.) Still, it would be cool for a character sitting in a chair or lying down in a bed to be saved so that you could jump in a bed, log out, and log back in in the same place, or log back in still sitting in the cockpit of your fighter.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    All of that stuff is cool, but for some reason, to me, it just seems like it'd be simpler to save the character's position on the ship. That would allow beds and stuff to have other purposes. (Survival content will probably happen eventually.) Still, it would be cool for a character sitting in a chair or lying down in a bed to be saved so that you could jump in a bed, log out, and log back in in the same place, or log back in still sitting in the cockpit of your fighter.
    Roger that! :) Stasis can wait anyhow, meanwhile I will place my undeathinators inside fake chambers made of blocks. :P

Reactions: Ithirahad

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yea, maybe a bed could be cheaper to buy and manufacture and the stasis chamber would be more costly and work the same but have a neat look?
    Meh... If they're more expensive they should have SOME advantage, even if it's just more armor.

kiddan

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Meh... If they're more expensive they should have SOME advantage, even if it's just more armor.
    Yea, maybe if they break the player inside respawns in his last undeathinator when he rejoins? Hence beds would be weaker and chambers would be heavily armored?

Reaction score
    I think all the ideas for beds, chairs, stasis chambers, etc for keeping you aligned to the ship are cool, but I think it should just be based on location if you are in the ship's gravity. Period, doesn't matter if your faction matches.
    If you make it based on what bed, chamber, or chair you are in, this still allows for the issue of getting disconnected while on board a moving ship. No matter how well the game is polished in development, this will always happen. Internet connections and client computers are not 100% reliable.

Issues with spying by sneaking onto a ship and logging out? Gravity modules already can't be used unless you are in the same faction or there is a faction permission module. Further protection for ships that do allow visitors could be added by making faction permission blocks logic bound, so you could turn on and off gravity access for visitors when you want. Turning off the faction permission module for a gravity block would unbind any non-faction members from the gravity of that block, whether they were logged in or not.

Issues with getting kidnapped via players tricking you into the gravity of their ship? Add a simple game mechanic that allows you to unbind from gravity via a hotkey, even if you can't see the gravity block.

kiddan

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Uh, are you even allowed to 'bump' topics up without using actual conversation? :confused:
    Though this is an awesome idea. :p I would love to see it in-game. (The idea of saving relative to ship not bumping topics :P)

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Since we have these nice new tags for threads and none of the dev team have replied to this thread yet, I'm going to bump this. Hey, Bench , would you mind giving your thoughts on this one?

Reactions: Snk
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    This remains as valid an idea as before. So let's grind it's contents against the dev teams' retinas.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    This would work but only if the player is aligned to the ship (the npc script sees this value as affinity) the problem is (as someone has already stated) that being inside a ship is no different to being in space apart from when a player is aligned to a ship it counts as affinity, we see this setting changing when the alignment changes when moving from one body to another. (It gives a popup about gravity yet this is not the gravity being changed its the affinity) so for logic reasons the player file would need to retain the value for affinity and upon login it would check that it is not a null value and then perform a lookup. There are several problems that arise.
    The ship might be moving at the time the player logs in
    Every ship in the game will have to have it location stored in its ent file and this be updated every tick, lag condition.
    The players instance would need to check this table at every login, if the ship is moving at the time then this could cause a desync problem, login lag, or even glitching the ship itself if the system was in the middle of a write process.

But it could be done, it would be a matter of weighing the pros and cons. I created a plugin that does some very similar gameplay to this game on MineCraft. The way I solved this problem was;
    New block: Stasis tank
    new dimension: stasis
    activating the block caused a power drain of 10% on the ship, and the player is teleported to the stasis dimension.
    If a ship has a stasis tank that is occupied then the cords of the tank block are updated on movement.
    In the stasis world there is a "punch out" button, clicking this button notifies the current pilot (if any) that someone is "waking up" and the ship will then come to a halt. the player is then loaded into the world and translated to a free block around the stasis tank.

In this case this would work but instead of using a dimension for this a simple addition of a new state into the player states table and a gui that informs the player that they are in stasis, like the respawn screen. (I would set the orbit around location of the screen to be bound to the ship that the player is in stasis)
    for sanity logic I would simply make it that is the stasis block or ship is damaged so that the player can not get out, they are then set into a death state and that logic can take over from there.

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    I'm fairly certain that the feature originally suggested has since (or always?) been planned, so no worries everybody. :)

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I'm fairly certain that the feature originally suggested has since (or always?) been planned, so no worries everybody. :)
    Where does it say that?

At any rate, could we get a dev tag on this?

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    When a player logs out while in the gravity of or "aligned" to a ship, that player's position should be saved relative to that ship on logout....might be exploitable...
    Having thought on this for a while, and seeing it's renewed discussion...let's crack this can and see what the worms catch.

I suppose the "exploits" mentioned could be easily mitigated by dialog box
    ->"you have entered the gravity of..." 'warning' that EVERYBODY IN THE SECTOR SEES, could be fixed to show the $playername instead of "you." -> Lets you know when and who is aligned to your craft.

->the TBI "fleet" part of the game would benefit from listing the "crew" currently bound to ships. Including something like tags to each listed. "crew" would make it manageable and informative without too much network overhead. things like {pilot} {gunner} {gravity} {offline} {$Faction} {NPC} {EVA} -> A nice button to "jettison" offline players from a ship in some kind of "bouy" or undocking a turret or drone....or send them to undeathinator instead? Should that be treated as a suicide or a kill? either way, see who's riding piggyback in something liek the [Del] menu, maybe a new use for [Numpad 5] ? :)

->Leaving an "NPC" clone of yourself when you logoff might be an option too. Disconnect at speed? Re-inhabit your body when your reconnect. Persistent world option. Makes "beds" "safe sleeping rooms"/"cryopods"/"NPC Kennels" an interesting thing to add to ships n bases. -> Spaceman and NPC navmarkers also need to "merge" with ships better for this to be even remotely viable. Becoming jammed/cloaked when aligned, actually invulnerable while in home-base gravity, etc... :) -> If your npc gets killed, does it respawn or wait for you to login to do that? Will it "keep piloting" a ship unless ordered out by a higher rank? Can/should higher ranks order offline player NPCs around in faction? May make a new thread to explore that concept later. Any interest? :)

Additional thoughts: Once/if scanners as a passive system(with an activation component?) are reworked, being able to spot individual nav markers like 'life-signs'{gunner} {pilot} {EVA} {offline} 'AI block' 'faction block' {faction}etc based on scanning vs jamming could add to all the above dynamics.

Reactions: jorgekorke

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Last Post
    Snk, Feb 25, 2015

->Leaving an "NPC" clone of yourself when you logoff might be an option too. Disconnect at speed? Re-inhabit your body when your reconnect. Persistent world option. Makes "beds" "safe sleeping rooms"/"cryopods"/"NPC Kennels" an interesting thing to add to ships n bases. -> Spaceman and NPC navmarkers also need to "merge" with ships better for this to be even remotely viable. Becoming jammed/cloaked when aligned, actually invulnerable while in home-base gravity, etc... :) -> If your npc gets killed, does it respawn or wait for you to login to do that? Will it "keep piloting" a ship unless ordered out by a higher rank? Can/should higher ranks order offline player NPCs around in faction? May make a new thread to explore that concept later. Any interest? :)
    YES !!!

Not offline.... "Sleeping" adds more to RP.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    So, just found something out related to this that isn't just an annoyance - it's outright gamebreaking.

Astronaut positions appear to be saved constantly, rather than simply at the autosave intervals.

When a server crashes and you're in transit in a jumpship, you have a very good chance of finding yourself hundreds, if not thousands of kilometers away from your ship when it comes back up.

Can we *please* fix this problem?

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This is purely conjecture of course since I haven't seen the code, but I would guess that the engine improvements needed for the rail update might bring this feature a lot closer to reality. I recommend adding this with or before the next major update if the engine is ready or if the code team thinks it can be gotten ready in a reasonable amount of time. The difference this would make in gameplay and roleplay is much greater than it may seem and it would improve the overall quality of the game experience considerably. Deploying ship-relative save and the HP update simultaneously would represent a huge leap in playability by setting the groundwork for a solid meta and cleaning up an important aspect of the player experience at the same time.