Read by Council Rail Rotator Snapping

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    In a quest to build something awesome. I was stuck with a monster that would twitch around.

I wanted to build a walker that actually walked a long a surface. I even worked out a scheme that would allow it to do it with the new pickup modules, and minimal logic.

The problem was that due to the way the rails snapped it would jerk around and looked awful. I'm hoping its pretty easy to implement but when something docks, and the rail is set to an angle it would attempt to dock to the closest of the set angle that it could instead of snapping all the way around.

The other way would be having a rotator that just rotated it to the point it was aiming instead of starting at that point. This version would make mecha pretty awesome as you would just be setting a destination instead. Particularly useful if it worked on 45s. Basically a servo vs a rotator block.

It would allow my docking/undocking legs to move fluidly instead of snapping all over the place.

If this breaks existing mechanics maybe adding this to some sort of free axis rail might work.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    It would definitely be nice to have some sort of rail/axis that doesn't change a ship's rotation at all when docked to. It would be really nice for station-docking and mechanisms alike!

ToasterBorst

Formerly known as Weishaupt
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Wired for Logic
    So instead of rotating to set angle when docked, you want it to dock into that position? Just to make sure I understand before inquiring up the chain as to if even possible. :)

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    So instead of rotating to set angle when docked, you want it to dock into that position?
    Right but then start rotating like it's does. It's not completely thought through. I just think something like the mech above should be possible through a little ingenuity.