Read by Schine Procedural backgrounds OP plz nerf

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I love the procedural backgrounds as much as the next guy, but right now they're kind of annoying. They cover the entire sky in every single system, and the novelty just kind of wears off after a while. They're incredibly pretty, sure, but why should I always see THIS:

...in the night sky, when it can sometimes look a bit more like THIS?

Also, now that we have an awesome system that actually draws all the real stars in the galaxy, the awkward stretched oval stars in the procedural backgrounds have to go.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I agree, the horribly pixelated "stars" in the procedural background kinda defeat the point of stars being visible in the first place. Not to mention that they're incredibly ugly.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    That comparison is a good point. At the time, procedural backgrounds were a great addition, but I think along with real drawn stars and the possibility of actual in game Nebulas one day, the backgrounds will just be superfluous. Also, if you really have a discerning eye, you can see where the textures crimp up to the poles of the skybox.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    That comparison is a good point. At the time, procedural backgrounds were a great addition, but I think along with real drawn stars and the possibility of actual in game Nebulas one day, the backgrounds will just be superfluous. Also, if you really have a discerning eye, you can see where the textures crimp up to the poles of the skybox.
    I never said they should be removed entirely, but they should just be toned down a bit and that the derpy stars have to go... If you see a nebula somewhere in the distance or subtle orange clouds covering some of the skybox it's fine, but currently the skyboxes are almost always busy as hell and way too bright/saturated. See EvE skyboxes and real-life nebulae for a decent but still colorful kind of nebula skybox.

(Oooh, pretty jumpgate.)

Reactions: mo05mAn
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    If you don't want the backgrounds you can switch them off.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    yeah,you can switch them off,and i dont understand the part where someone said they are ugly,they look awesome in 2k and 4k resolution
    Yes, you can switch them off, and have no cool skybox whatsoever. That's kinda boring too. All I'm asking for is more reasonable-looking skyboxes, while preserving (possibly amplifying) the awesomeness.

Reactions: SkylordLuke

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    There needs to be more black in the skyboxes to make the color look cool and make it interesting.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    If you don't want the backgrounds you can switch them off.
    I actually did recently. I think it looks a lot better now. I never said I wanted to get rid of them or anything, but if we ever get actual nebulae in the game I just think they'll feel "fake" like how the real drawn stars look so much better than the textured stars now.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    I personally love the procedural background, I think it looks amazing. Maybe I don't play the game enough, but I can't help but appreciate it constantly when I do.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    My god... Whatever you did, tell Schema to dump it in the next patch. Looks so much better o_O

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Had a little play, if anyone cares for it i can make it public.
    Id like to have some fun playing around with that too, can you tell me which file is used and where i can find it? I thought its data\textures\simplestarfield.png at first, but thats to low res to be the file in question.

Also, id like to donate any good results i may achieve to Schine afterwards.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Had a little play, if anyone cares for it i can make it public.

Note, this example is the exact same sector and is at resolution 1024 (yes. 1024)

View attachment 12007
    Cool. If it would be possible it would be nice to add clouds in place where galaxy is. Like if You see Milk way with no any city light around You:

So backroung will be more than background. It will help You navigate through universe so universe will stop to be just boring empyty space.

DAMN How I would love to see real nebulas in game that would also be see from distance in procedurally generated background :D