Overdrive and damping

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I had this thought on how to solve the entire issue about linear damping that usually comes down to "we need a toggle for it."

How about overdrive? Any overdrive active on a ship (even just a computer) eliminates damping completely.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Half support. It should still require an active overdrive system and associated power and block costs.

I think block costs of effects should all be halved, and power costs seriously nerfed. That's discussion for another thread, though. But it ties into why I think keeping the block and power requirement for removing dampening 100% (partial overdrive removes dampening partially) in.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    No, because every ship should be able to do this. One block versus some fraction of the mass.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    No, because every ship should be able to do this. One block versus some fraction of the mass.
    Friction is, by default, part of the game. If you want to have your ship ignore friction, it should have to have some sort of block and energy cost beyond a single overdrive computer.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Friction is, by default, part of the game. If you want to have your ship ignore friction, it should have to have some sort of block and energy cost beyond a single overdrive computer.
    friction was put into the game to prevent ships from getting bumped into eternity. As long as it can perform that function, any way to prevent it from interfering with the rest of the game is good.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    friction was put into the game to prevent ships from getting bumped into eternity. As long as it can perform that function, any way to prevent it from interfering with the rest of the game is good.
    Ships already stop moving when they reach an unloaded sector.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Ships already stop moving when they reach an unloaded sector.
    So friction is actually NOT NEEDED. The only reason I came up with this idea is thought there was some sort of debate over whether linear damping should stay or not, and thought a compromise between having it and not was needed. So I looked through the forum to find the post, and...
    Am I the only one who actually likes the linear dampening as is?
    And while there are situations where I think damping is important (things getting bumped) I would rather not have it, and get it added to the game where it is needed and only there.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Actually, friction is "not needed" because of the Stop tertiary and the Overdrive defensive effect. Otherwise when a sector loads a ship would continue to zip off, possibly with no chance of recovery. Regardless, though, perhaps there should still be global space friction when traveling at Overdrive speeds, but at that would stop when you decelerated back to normal speed. Something to do with warp field decay or mass dephasing.

Reactions: Mariux

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Wait, what do mean by that? Doesn't the sector load with all objects stationary?
    Oh, waitasec... Forgot about that. In that case, we have literally no need whatsoever for linear damping. Still, though, stop effect and overdrive helps.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Oh, waitasec... Forgot about that. In that case, we have literally no need whatsoever for linear damping. Still, though, stop effect and overdrive helps.
    Defensive stop makes you resistant to planetary gravity. No idea what you're talking about with this.

I actually like the existence of linear damping from keeping my ships from flying off without waiting for them to hit unloaded sectors, which would be an especially big issue in servers with larger sector sizes. And I don't think people should be able to bypass linear damping so easily with what you're suggesting. How about a reduced ratio is needed for overdrive to cancel linear damping?

It currently needs 10% of the ship (personally I think that's too high) for the full server speed breaking effect. How about only a quarter of that (2.5%) is needed to completely ignore linear damping on a ship?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    The effect block usage is a bug. The power usage that came with them was supposed to be the limiting factor. One for every hundred blocks was a bit low though, so maybe it probably should be a bit more than that.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Defensive stop makes you resistant to planetary gravity. No idea what you're talking about with this.

I actually like the existence of linear damping from keeping my ships from flying off without waiting for them to hit unloaded sectors, which would be an especially big issue in servers with larger sector sizes. And I don't think people should be able to bypass linear damping so easily with what you're suggesting. How about a reduced ratio is needed for overdrive to cancel linear damping?

It currently needs 10% of the ship (personally I think that's too high) for the full server speed breaking effect. How about only a quarter of that (2.5%) is needed to completely ignore linear damping on a ship?
    I meant the other way around. Stop tertiary on a weapon to stop a ship, and Overdrive defensive for catching up to ships drifting at max speed.

Reaction score
    Why the Overdrive (something that adds a useful effect) instead of putting it on Stop/Pull/Push?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    We could have damping only active on entities once they get hit on a collision, until they either activate thrust in a direction or their speed reaches zero. That's basically the one case that I think everyone can agree on for being useful.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    We could have damping only active on entities once they get hit on a collision, until they either activate thrust in a direction or their speed reaches zero. That's basically the one case that I think everyone can agree on for being useful.
    Ok, that's something I could possibly get behind.