Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    So, this is an idea to allow a temporary status of "noclip" on an entity. This would allow either a ship or a player entity to become ghostlike, moving through other entities with no collissions. This would be useful for:

1. Admins to stop lag bombs in sectors where entities are crashing into each other, and then safely move the entities away from each other.
    2. Players that want to build complicated things in single player (or in special build sectors, such as what we have set up on LvD). This would be useful for where the player has to physically move to specific parts of their enclosed entity, such as a maze, then turn clipping back on.
    3. Creative uses, such as scripting quests where ships might become ethereal momentarily.

There are other uses for it, but these are the things that made me have the idea for it. Many 3d games in the past have had admin controls for turning clipping on and off, and I think there's a place for it in StarMade as well. Though I know there are some other commands, such as "/soft_despawn_dock," which can be used for troubleshooting lag bombs, but these commands all have their drawbacks. Such as for "/soft_despawn_dock," it makes the entity disappear, so it cannot be moved. Putting no clipping onto an entity still allows admins to interact with it and then clear up the issue without having to rely on doing things like writing down the UID of an entity that they have made disappear, to then use commands on the UID to move it while it has been soft despawned.

The commands that I'd suggest adding are as follows:
    "/noclip_selected true/false"
    "/noclip_uid [UID] true/false"
    "/noclip_self true/false"
    "/noclip [PlayerName] true/false"

Well, as always thoughts and constructive suggestions are welcome. :)

Reactions: Macharius

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Maybe /noclip_sector when there is such bad lagg affecting the server the admin can use this to calm things in order to assess then fix.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    This is definitely a must. Such a tool in the hands of admins would really help with many of the current issues facing servers.

Reactions: Macharius

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    something I've always wanted since I started making videos. Being able to clip through objects without worrying about hitting something would be amazing for filming. Also a ship version of the invisibility command. the current one only makes the player invisible and only makes them not produce shadows when shadows r enabled.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    So, this is an idea to allow a temporary status of "noclip" on an entity. This would allow either a ship or a player entity to become ghostlike, moving through other entities with no collissions. This would be useful for:

1. Admins to stop lag bombs in sectors where entities are crashing into each other, and then safely move the entities away from each other.
    2. Players that want to build complicated things in single player (or in special build sectors, such as what we have set up on LvD). This would be useful for where the player has to physically move to specific parts of their enclosed entity, such as a maze, then turn clipping back on.
    3. Creative uses, such as scripting quests where ships might become ethereal momentarily.

There are other uses for it, but these are the things that made me have the idea for it. Many 3d games in the past have had admin controls for turning clipping on and off, and I think there's a place for it in StarMade as well. Though I know there are some other commands, such as "/soft_despawn_dock," which can be used for troubleshooting lag bombs, but these commands all have their drawbacks. Such as for "/soft_despawn_dock," it makes the entity disappear, so it cannot be moved. Putting no clipping onto an entity still allows admins to interact with it and then clear up the issue without having to rely on doing things like writing down the UID of an entity that they have made disappear, to then use commands on the UID to move it while it has been soft despawned.

The commands that I'd suggest adding are as follows:
    "/noclip_selected true/false"
    "/noclip_uid [UID] true/false"
    "/noclip_self true/false"
    "/noclip [PlayerName] true/false"

Well, as always thoughts and constructive suggestions are welcome. :)
    I like the idea primarily as it would give them a tool to use till they get the code fixed dealing collision detection.
    They could actually create an effect that would do possibly better for the ethereal aspect.
    I certainly see where one might want the easy of moving an entity into another entity for build purposes. It could be a lot easier than building that entity while inside.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This is something server owners have needed since the beginning of Starmade. DukeofRealms would you poke the code team with this?