Nebulae

Reaction score
    I've heard some talk of nebulae, but I was never quite happy with people's suggestions so here's my idea of what they should be and what they should do:

The Nebulaic Sector
    When sectors generate, they should have a chance (say 1/100, configurable) to be a nebula (there could be sector clusters that generate as a nebula, or even entire star systems). There could be indicators such as a different colored sector marker outside as a warning of what it is, and/or an image around/at the sector boundary.

Inside the sector, many things would happen:
    -Fog (like the void fog of Minecraft) would appear around the player, and at a configurable radius (probably 300-500 to start) it's thick enough to block all sight beyond, and if they are that distance from any non-nebula sector they become entirely hidden to those outside of it.
    -Lowered energy recharge
    -All navigation goes away, including indicators of ships/rocks/planets/stations etc
    -As players stay in the nebula longer and longer, or move too fast, their craft attracts a charge causing systems to short out such as weapons, turrets, and AI (but not thrust or shields, which could instead be nerfed). Docking to planets/stations could discharge this static charge and thus allow for bases
    -Homing and heat seeking missiles fail, even if fired from outside the sector (if the target enters it)

Instead of a fully mineable nebula (which might be very resource intensive) there would be asteroid-like clouds that, while much rarer than asteroids, are many times larger and represent the dense portions of the nebula, and can be mined (additionally, they would be physicsless and not buildable on). The gasses (mainly hydrogen and trace helium, although some nebulae contain other things like basic molecular gasses and dust) could be used as fuel (if it's ever implemented), an intermediate crafting ingredient, etc.

This would have many advantages:
    -completely hidden bases
    -new resources
    -interesting new combat mechanics in battles near/in nebulae
    -easy way for the game to detect players in a nebula
    -massive nebulae
    -resources that aren't virtually unlimited as they would be if nebulae were both massive and fully mineable

They might be planned already, but this is how I think they should be implemented to be both interesting and reasonable.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I want to see nebulae done in a similar way to how they were done in Freespace 2

-dense fog that can be different colors
    -disruption of sensors and missile targeting
    -limited range of site
    -particle effects like lightning storms

It may be completely unrealistic from what real nebulae are like, but then again this game isn't shooting for realism.

Reactions: jayman38

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I would like these nebulas be something like a fuel-depot.

Some resources (like fuel) may be infinite, but you can only carry a limited amount with you (fuel tank arrays much like power tanks which deplete on removal through build mode)

Fuel would especially be fun if required by warp, almost only for large ships which don't fit through Star-Gates (or if consumption = ship mass^1.x, thus requiring more efficient power systems the bigger your ship is)

It would add a lot more strategic options (scouting nebulae, building/holding gates, ...) and finally add a purpose of having a network, small ships and visit familiar places again.
    If nebulae would be rarer around or far away from spawn, it would draw peoples together while keeping capitals away from spawn.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I like that idea. But Nebulae needs some pros, not only cons... If there will not be anything usefull from them, then players will just avoid it.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I like that idea. But Nebulae needs some pros, not only cons... If there will not be anything usefull from them, then players will just avoid it.
    They provide crafting ingredients / fuel, sensor jamming and purrtyness. I think those are some fairly awesome pros.

If we ever get to have buildable asteroids again, imagine slowly dragging one from a regular solar system into a nebula to build a hidden base on it. Somehow gravity-anchor it in space and you have your Freelancer-style smuggler's den, man.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    this idea reminds me of a game called freelancer a good game and its nebula's were cool but an idea of a pro of it could be a good place to hide bases since you would have no sensors all in all i like this idea and i hope the devs do implement this since it would be soo cool just to explore the nebula's even if they affected my systems not destroy them but say for weapons lock on would not work you would have no nav but not destroy or damage the ship your in and starmade does need a bit more things to explore

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Maybe it should reduce weapon range also. It would be silly to be shot out of nowhere.
    Max range = 90% sight range. As sight range will probably be around your core, your ship can be 10% as big or parts far away from your core may get hit without a chance to strike back = good nerf vs big ships.

Reactions: Dragon2000
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Maybe it should reduce weapon range also. It would be silly to be shot out of nowhere.
    Max range = 90% sight range. As sight range will probably be around your core, your ship can be 10% as big or parts far away from your core may get hit without a chance to strike back = good nerf vs big ships.
    even if i had big ship i would still explore this idea i agree with what you say but who can resist the exploration of the unknown (i can say this not me)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    BTW: if you think that nerfs big ships too much, remember turrets have another origin of view.
    Though it would separate turrets, let one fight without help from others.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    An extension of this idea:
    beams and AMC get 90% of sight range.
    In nebulas or other disruptive areas, Missiles can't lock, but can still dumb-fire straight ahead. "Weapons lock inoperative, sir!" "Best guess, Mr. Sulu. Fire when ready." Checkerboard missile arrays might still be OP in this scenario. Maybe to counter that, give the missile group a 50% chance of a misfire, where nothing launches out, but you still have to wait for a reload.

Reaction score
    I only saw that hours after I made this (if you look at the dates, it was inactive for 2 weeks before my post). I did a search before making the thread, and nothing came up (except nebula-class ships, really). Besides, that post is fairly vague about it and isn't exactly what I was thinking and I wouldn't want to post an entire tangent about what I personally think nebula should be when the other thread is much broader.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    I'm not criticizing you, just giving you a link with more ideas. Think of it as a gift.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I like the idea, but you might want some sector fade around the nebulae, to add a little realism instead of just having nebulae blocks - You'd dont necessarily want to be flying blind into one of these
    Maybe sector + 3/4 of a sector with fade (essentially a faded cube?)

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    In order to not create a new thread of an already given idea, I'll revive this one with some content.

With the new Universe living, we could have not sectors in Nebulae, but entire systems made of it. They could have not planets, but a lot of very rich asteroids, making it an interesting place to visit. Also, a higher rate of pirates might be good as well, to add balance and danger.

I'll add the concept of Tachyon : The Fringe game, of the nebulae almost making you blind, in the Twilight system.

Not sure if it's that screenshot, this game were'nt famous, and I played it A LOT on my childhood, but you get the idea,