More alignment options for Ships

Is this a feature you'd like to see added to Starmade?

• Maybe, the idea needs some work.

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Other (Comment Below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Hey all,
    During my playtime in the game, there has been one feature that has really always irked me.
    That is the limited alignment features in ships. In my experience, it's near impossible to align a ship to a station or a fighter craft to a mothership's docking bay to fly the ship in for a smooth landing without a docking mechanism. That's always been annoying to me when attempting to recover fighters after a battle and having them get stuck in the doorway. That's why I thought of this suggestion: Align to Ship.
    That would be a keyboard command (similar to x and z to roll) that would align the ship to either the first object/ship in range ligned up with the reticles, or the selected ship (F key). That would make it possible for a friendly ship to align to it's home base to come in for a landing without needing to look stupid doing a bunch of rolls that eventually end up unsuccessful. The feature could be made as only friendly-friendly alignment, or to align to an enemy fighter. The alignment would be just changing your x,y,z axis and camera view to line up with the ship, you wouldn't follow it, so if your target changed direction or orientation, the align would be broken.
    I think that this feature would be a great addition to starmade, and I thank you all for reading. Suggestions and critiques are welcome below.

Thanks,
    Rixxan

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Just gonna bump this as the issue of not being able to align for ships is really annoying me today. I spent about about 5 minutes doing a bunch of rolls and attempts to fly my fighter into and dock with my friend's ship today when we were in combat. We ended up losing because I couldn't get docked fast enough to jump away.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I question the poll.
    Why would you want to align to enemy ships? Isn't that too OP?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Alignment to enemy ships could
    A) allow for borders to align to airlocks,
    B) allow you to align your cannons to enemy ships
    C) Allow you to perform more manuvers in dogfights

Although I can certainly see how it could be op. The align suggested should compansate by reducing your speed to that of your target, and align your x y and z axis and align your camera to the ship targeted. The align would be broken by any change by either party on their rotation or xyz axies

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I question the poll.
    Why would you want to align to enemy ships? Isn't that too OP?
    I think he doesn't mean align as in astronaut-align but more like rotate me once until I point into the same direction as the entity I am aligning myself to. Any action of that other entity afterwards will not affect you.
    Unless I didn't understand correctly.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Alignment to enemy ships could
    A) allow for borders to align to airlocks,
    B) allow you to align your cannons to enemy ships
    C) Allow you to perform more manuvers in dogfights

Although I can certainly see how it could be op. The align suggested should compansate by reducing your speed to that of your target, and align your x y and z axis and align your camera to the ship targeted. The align would be broken by any change by either party on their rotation or xyz axies
    well then it would be near useless for some peoples fighting styles

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I think he doesn't mean align as in astronaut-align but more like rotate me once until I point into the same direction as the entity I am aligning myself to. Any action of that other entity afterwards will not affect you.
    Unless I didn't understand correctly.
    No, you understood perfectly. You have to be going approx. the same way, it would just rotate your ship to align perfecly.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1440696702,1440696580][/DOUBLEPOST]
    well then it would be near useless for some peoples fighting styles
    true, but for aligning to allied ships to go in for a landing it would be a very good feature if you need to do a quick jump or need to get to shelter.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    No, you understood perfectly. You have to be going approx. the same way, it would just rotate your ship to align perfecly.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1440696702,1440696580][/DOUBLEPOST]
    true, but for aligning to allied ships to go in for a landing it would be a very good feature if you need to do a quick jump or need to get to shelter.
    i wish people luck trying to land on anything im flying...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    i wish people luck trying to land on anything im flying...
    The Fighter-Carrier aspect is one place this is useful, as well as boarding parties and shuttles. I can understand it wouldn't work well in singleplayer but in multiplayer it would be a great thing for factions or fights.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    No. This is a very bad idea. What needs to be fixed is ship controls so that it is easier to align to other objects manually.

I'd love to see at least a key modifier that allows for fine adjustments. And lets not get into how much a small ship rotates on a single tap of z or x keys.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    No. This is a very bad idea. What needs to be fixed is ship controls so that it is easier to align to other objects manually.

I'd love to see at least a key modifier that allows for fine adjustments. And lets not get into how much a small ship rotates on a single tap of z or x keys.
    While I personally like my idea, yours would also be an acceptable solution. The lack of fine adjustments is what mostly is setting me off. If I could succesfully align to my ship's docking port Every Time without using rails or docking systems then I would be happy.