Moon Problem

Reaction score
    Now I know that some people have been posting that there should be a moon system and that there should be tiny planets going around big planets (though not knowing if there will be an update that contains this and not knowing if anyone else has come up with the idea), but there is already a way you can make an artificial orbiting moon, station, turret, etc. the way is with rail systems and thats it, just have an enormous chunk of dirt or something on an invisible line of deleted block (if you get my meaning) and have it connected to and endless rotation block and set it spinning. This of course is just a temporary fix until moons are actually added

If this idea hasn't already been made and theres not a thread for it, posts pic on this one, THANKS

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    shesh, it was just an idea

Besides, i said to make an artificial moon like the deathstar but you could just make an elipsod of rock or something , plus all you would have to do is slow the rotations down to stop the "deathball" problem.

Last edited:

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Just joking about the Death Ball thing. It's a fun idea.

Reaction score
    tell me if you manage to get it working because ive had some trouble getting it to work

the main problem ive found so far is that once ive actually built something and placed it on the rotator it dont rotate

Reaction score
    where original idea came from, accidentally flew a ship into the (don't ask how) and though 'why not attach this to a rotator and set is spinning with something attach on the outside of it, plus you could have multiple moon,stations or turrets flying around on different orbits.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    indeed - in fact it is possible to set up an orrery and then by rail, "sink" it into a planet core with the moon ship attached, creating a planet orbiting moon!
    A few questions for anyone who has managed to make this work:
    • Do docked entities extend the planet's gravitational effect the same way that tall builds on a face plate do?
    • Is there a way to use gravity blocks to provide a pull to six different sides of a your cubic moon entity as it orbits?
    • How is the orbit speed? IIRC my rail basics correctly, we cannot change the speed of rotation, only that of straight rail segments. I'd imagine at that distance, your orbiting body moves pretty darned fast.

Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    A few questions for anyone who has managed to make this work:
    • Do docked entities extend the planet's gravitational effect the same way that tall builds on a face plate do?
    • Is there a way to use gravity blocks to provide a pull to six different sides of a your cubic moon entity as it orbits?
    • How is the orbit speed? IIRC my rail basics correctly, we cannot change the speed of rotation, only that of straight rail segments. I'd imagine at that distance, your orbiting body moves pretty darned fast.
    1. you will not experience planetary gravity on a "moon" (remember it is also two docket entities deep ideally: one orbital axis, and one rotational axis)
    2. i have not had a good experience trying to set up "gravity" on a satellite other than manually. the triggering setup needed would be ugly, unreliable, potentially cause collisions with ships flying by, etc. with how easy it is to align yourself to proper gravity, i don't find this to be a problem. moons are notoriously low-grav anyway.
    3. i generally do not find additional speed needed on large orbital structures. remember that the speed you're setting is rotational speed! the actual tangential velocity of an orbiting object increases with the distance it is orbiting at. so even at very low rotational speeds, something that's rotating 300-400 blocks away from the planet core will still be moving at pretty brisk pace. also, the faster something moves on a rotator like that, the better chance it may go completely non-physical altogether (moving so fast it will just phase right through any other objects it may collide with). i often just rely on mass to slow my orbital rotators down, but you can control rotational speed as well: http://starmadedock.net/content/ninewerks-products-rail-rotator-beginner-tutorial.2827
    4. i should also add that as of a few patches ago, gravity-ing to rotating objects (and some other docked entities) tends to break when the player attemts to align. after a second or two, alignment will end and cannot be re-established. this is already in the bug reports, so no need to re-submit, but as a purveyor of rotating restaurant builds, it has made me very sad. if you cannot get a moon base working properly, don't worry about it for now and come back to it in a few patches.

Last edited: