Bug Missile+Explosive Not boosting AoE

Napther

Grumpy builder of Kaiju Design Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I was running some tests in Multiplayer on the Shattered Skies server, before switching over to Single Player to better Spawn in targets and Test platforms.

What I had discovered, is that Explosive Effect is having NO Effect on the AoE of a fired missile (Or missiles), even when changing the damage per missile to more than easilly kill all blocks inside the radius that it describes in the Weapons Menu.

All of these Craters were created with a 4900 block arrays of different combinations with and without Explosive effect and Damage Beam; it doesnt matter which made what, as each are an Identical 12 blocks radius explosions, Which ties in to what is seen as a Standard missile detonation:

However, Explosive Effect clearly states that it Boosts the radius of a missile detonation to 22:

I have yet to test Missile+ Pulse, But im sure that this isnt the current intended behaviour of missiles. Either missiles+ Effect are bugged, or this is the intended result, and the Radius Explosion number is showing incorrect.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1440352346,1440350753][/DOUBLEPOST]Also just tested with Missile+Pulse then With or Without Explosive Effect

Target blocks are 100x100, Left is Without EXP effect, right is With EXP effect. Since the EXP effect "Supposedly" adds +10 radius to the explosion (Just like the weapons tab details say for normal missile variants), this would make the total exceed 100 diameter and would almost entirely destroy the block that was hit. I should mention that this was the same ship as before, firing at a New single ship of 2 panels.

I am also rather new to this forum bug thing. So I am unsure if what I am doing is correct

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Unfortunately your images are not working for me but I checked it out myself. Seems I'm experiencing the same thing which leads me to believe <MissileExplosiveRadius>10</MissileExplosiveRadius> simply doesn't work (as you concluded). This means that 4 effects (explosive, punch-through, piercing and overdrive) don't apply their bonus. Same for damage pulse.

I'll put your report on phabricator in queue, thanks for reporting!

Napther

Grumpy builder of Kaiju Design Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Unfortunately your images are not working for me but I checked it out myself. Seems I'm experiencing the same thing which leads me to believe <MissileExplosiveRadius>10</MissileExplosiveRadius> simply doesn't work (as you concluded). This means that 4 effects (explosive, punch-through, piercing and overdrive) don't apply their bonus. Same for damage pulse.

I'll put your report on phabricator in queue, thanks for reporting!
    So on missiles, the extra damage effects provided by Tertiary effect were outright being ignored?

That might explain why when I was testing, an tiny (200 modules) Overdrive missile was leaving the same hole as its explosive Counterpart (Incomplete, jagged, 10 radius hole)... I never thought to test that fully on SP, as I was more concerned for my "Mini Nukes" feeling vastly underwhelming in block kill counts, and testing that out

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    hmm well that could explain why something me and an admin were toying with wasn't doing anything.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    So on missiles, the extra damage effects provided by Tertiary effect were outright being ignored?

That might explain why when I was testing, an tiny (200 modules) Overdrive missile was leaving the same hole as its explosive Counterpart (Incomplete, jagged, 10 radius hole)... I never thought to test that fully on SP, as I was more concerned for my "Mini Nukes" feeling vastly underwhelming in block kill counts, and testing that out
    The other damage effects work properly with the new explosion damage system, but the explosive radius increase doesn't. It's implemented code-wise, but it seems to be overridden by the default radius so it's definitely a bug.