Maximum ship/station mass in the survival mode

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Will be possible add some kind of max ship/station mass/size in the survival mode? (Yes i know about battle mode, but prefer survival) As server owner dont want megastructures, which cause collision lags, server crashes and another unwanted actions. I would like have better control own server. I think nobody want flying cubes 3 sectors long.

Last edited:

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    I don't know if there is a server config for that, but generally server admin can post, in several ways, the maximum sizes for ships and stations. You can remove things that break your rules, both in game, and in the code (as in you can open up and delete entities in the server's database).

But your suggestion is handy as you wouldn't have to worry about people going over your desired max limit.

Reaction score
    I don't know if there is a server config for that, but generally server admin can post, in several ways, the maximum sizes for ships and stations. You can remove things that break your rules, both in game, and in the code (as in you can open up and delete entities in the server's database).

But your suggestion is handy as you wouldn't have to worry about people going over your desired max limit.
    And then getting slammed by lossing it, even if they did break the rules

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    In my experience, if asked, most players have no problem with structure size/mass limits provided it is reasonable.

Reaction score
    Not sure what the problem is?
    If you envest enough resources into a ship that it passes the ship limit, and then it poofs, it's really hard to try and build back up. Maybe make it go poof but give them a cargo crate with 50% of the blocks, randomly selected that the ship had.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    If you envest enough resources into a ship that it passes the ship limit, and then it poofs, it's really hard to try and build back up. Maybe make it go poof but give them a cargo crate with 50% of the blocks, randomly selected that the ship had.
    Okay, but that's up to the server admin, right? Obviously the admin might want to go easy on new people. And if you're going to invest time and effort into building, wouldn't that compel you to learn and understand the rules?

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Does GameConfig.xml/GameConfigDefault.xml still have mass and/or block count limits available? (toward the end of the default file)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Does GameConfig.xml/GameConfigDefault.xml still have mass and/or block count limits available? (toward the end of the default file)
    Yes this is stil an option of the GameConfig.xml. Generally this works well!

You can set a limit to ship size. If the ship is bigger then you get a message that unless you scale it down it will not work.

<!-- IMPORTANT: to change the config, please edit ./GameConfig.xml, and NOT ./data/config/GameConfigDefault.xml as that is only a template that gets copied on first startup, so a server's config doesn't get replaced on update. Any new features of this config will have to be copied over manually first-->
    <!-- uncomment and edit the following to have a ruleset on how many groups may be fired at once per computer. And how many computers of a type are allowed at a ship Exiting entities will not activate that controller if there are too many groups Use ID of the controller ('4' is salvage computer in the example)-->
    <!-- <GroupLimits> <Controller> <ID>4</ID> <GroupMax>30</GroupMax> </Controller> <Controller> <ID>544</ID> <ComputerMax>2</ComputerMax> </Controller> </GroupLimits> -->
    <!-- uncomment and edit the following to have a ruleset on ship sizes (existing ships over that size become unusable) If you only need one limitation, remove the one you don't need -->
    <!-- <ShipLimits> <Mass>1000.0</Mass> <Blocks>100</Blocks> </ShipLimits> <PlanetLimits> <Mass>50000.0</Mass> <Blocks>2000000</Blocks> </PlanetLimits> <StationLimits> <Mass>5000.0</Mass> <Blocks>500</Blocks> </StationLimits> -->

You can set both ship size limits and computer output limits.

Example of a 100K ship size limit:

You can choose between a Mass "weight" limit or a total block count limit.

<ShipLimits> <Mass>1000000.0</Mass> <Blocks>1000000</Blocks> </ShipLimits>

If have not tested if a modular multi core ship can under mine this set limit. But it should prevent most players from going over the CPU and Network limits of the server.

Reactions: Erth Paradine

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Hmm...! :)
    This sounds like potential for a an in game mission, job and/or business opportunity for players on a server.

You could create a law enforcer faction and employ select players to be your law enforcers. They do not need to be admins.
    Provide them with the resources and privilege to instruct the offending player to dismantle, giving them enough time to save the blueprint and then dismantle. If they do not comply, BOOM! As in an actual war declaration (faction wise) and attack using enforcer ships and AI fleets. ;)

Every server could do with a law enforcement faction. And again, they don't need to be admins.

If the offending user is causing severe lag effecting server performance, then you could apply the same time constraints to save and dismantle, but instead of war just use admin commands to destroy.

This would create an active role that a player could apply for without being given admin of the server.

If you wanted, you could just add them to the Traders faction, where they could use the Traders resources, ships and backup.
    Or, you could create a whole new law enforcement AI faction that focuses on building military systems, ships, stations and is an ally to Traders.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    I don't know if it's a good idea to pit a faction backed by admin vs regular players.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I don't know if it's a good idea to pit a faction backed by admin vs regular players.
    There would have to be strict rules for this faction.
    We already have players being given admin capability to assist with server admin, so I don't see a problem with having a non-admin faction acting as a police force.
    It's completely an opt-in thing for server owners and from experience there are already factions allied with admins in every server I've been on.

If players obey the rules, it could be quite boring for a player to be part of a server police force. So it may/may not work, but would be something for a player to do when playing Starmade that isn't turtling or building.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    There would have to be strict rules for this faction.
    We already have players being given admin capability to assist with server admin, so I don't see a problem with having a non-admin faction acting as a police force.
    It's completely an opt-in thing for server owners and from experience there are already factions allied with admins in every server I've been on.

If players obey the rules, it could be quite boring for a player to be part of a server police force. So it may/may not work, but would be something for a player to do when playing Starmade that isn't turtling or building.
    It very often goes bad when you have people "policing" others. Better to let server admins do it, because the server admins should be acting in the server's best interest, which in turn is in everyone else's best interest. It'd take just one whiff of impropriety to cause a stink with an actual factioned police force. Especially if they get a say in what happens to people's stuff if they make a mistake.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    It very often goes bad when you have people "policing" others. Better to let server admins do it, because the server admins should be acting in the server's best interest, which in turn is in everyone else's best interest. It'd take just one whiff of impropriety to cause a stink with an actual factioned police force. Especially if they get a say in what happens to people's stuff if they make a mistake.
    This is true. I have noticed the upsets that occurred on one server I was on with a hard line response and that was from the admins themselves. They had a specific allowable build area and if you built outside that they would either relocate your homebase and unfaction it or remove homebase protection and bombard it with spawned pirates.

Perhaps a police faction aligned with the gods could be abused, but this also applies to any faction on any server. And there are many factions with their own designated high ranking officers and enforcers that patrol and police their space.

I believe somebody will eventually do it at some point. Most likely when the server population is at a state where it's too large for admins to manage.