Read by Council Make use of laser colors etc

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    We have ability to change lasers colors as we like, but we could make use of the fact, that it's easy for SM engine to change beams' colors and add more depth to the game.

Instead of using it as pure decoration, we could make multiple tiers of lasers, like:
    red, blue, UV, gamma etc.
    More advances weapons could be crafted similiary how advanced hulls are.

It will have its purpose. Enchanced fleets arrive, they will make possible to automate minning. To prevent gigantism, we can encourage people to compress their technology into smaller components, rather than build huge but paper gigants.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I'd rather keep decorations separate from function for the purpose of creative freedom.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    No. Just no. This is an absolutely terrible idea. It seriously limits creative freedom while giving nothing in return.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    It would be nice to have a different look depending on the power of a weapon, but not by using colours. Some ships just need coloured projectiles to look at their best, really.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    Well I agree with those above about it limiting our builds. But there is one other point that can be made which I think is far more important.

The idea of compressing the tech has one big inherent flaw.
    Lets say it takes 2 beam modals to make 1 adv beam modal. Now if the advanced beam has a higher overall DPS then the normal version everyone will just opt to use only that. Same with titans. Power gen will not be an issue. In the past we had docked reactors, now we have aux power gens. So requiring 2x the power to compensate wont help ether.

Effectively you allow 2x damage from the same amount of blocks. Who wouldn't use that on every ship? I mean once you got a good salvage rig, you would have the resources to do it in no time. Thus all it would do is mean that if your starting out your at a disadvantage because adv. beams are too expensive so you have your pea shooter normal beams until you get your big miner setup. As for the possibility of upping the weight on them, Titans are not too worried about weight. They are slow as hell as it is and use turrets for their primary frigate/battleship murdering. They really only use the main guns when fighting another titan, as they just can't turn to face anything. Adding for example 2x the weight wouldn't as far as I am aware stop them from being used on a titan.

Thus it has no positive game play impact. It also serves to limit things visually because color would be determined by the beam type.

Now. I don't mind different sized and 3D projectiles based off the damage output or size of the "gun barrel" (iirc people have suggested that in the past). But I just cannot support tiered weapons due to the overall negative effects it would have on game play.

This suggestion has no positive game play impact. It also serves to limit things visually because color would be determined by the beam type. So I do not support it.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Effectively you allow 2x damage from the same amount of blocks.
    For 2x mass and 3x energy? with 1x mass it would be completely imba.
    I would require 4 normal blocks for that and yield some scrap which is worth 1 normal block

Alternatively it can cost 3x mass, 2x energy and 2 normal blocks.
    You would still use them if weapon block mass is a very low % when you need more space.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    My point still stands though. People will just use them as the standard and alter their designs to do so. Its the same thing you were complaining about with min-maxing before. Everyone wants the best they can get. If you raise the maximum efficiency bar, the standard will raise with it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    My point still stands though. People will just use them as the standard and alter their designs to do so. Its the same thing you were complaining about with min-maxing before. Everyone wants the best they can get. If you raise the maximum efficiency bar, the standard will raise with it.
    I meant something more like adv hulls are to normal hulls.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    No, but you choose between completly different texture patterns.
    That's just the thing, though! The pattern should change, that's all fine and dandy. The colour is what doesn't change much with hull, and shouldn't with beams either.