Kupu's thread

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Aside from the odd-looking shield tank block, those look awesome; can't wait to see them all in game.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    As always, great work. When your textures were first added I was a little hesitant to use them but I really warmed up to them.

Will the pixel pack be receiving a similar update as well?

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Will the pixel pack be receiving a similar update as well?
    Not any time soon, no. It's something i'll consider when the new default textures are all done and up to an acceptable standard, but until then it just dilutes my effort.

I'm sure eventually it'll get a facelift to better correspond to the new set.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Ah, C'est la vie.

I don't know if this is the place to ask but are you considering adding more default player skins to choose from?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    So, if we not gonna see it too soon, why not talk about the idea to create that visual, and what other ideas some blocks give you, or even what kind of design you cant get right

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Ah, C'est la vie.

I don't know if this is the place to ask but are you considering adding more default player skins to choose from?
    I'd like to make more player skins and just upload them in this site's own content library for pubic use. Having anymore skins shipped with the game as default is more Omni's domain. (I've been stacking up ideas on potential skins i want to make though :D)

So, if we not gonna see it too soon, why not talk about the idea to create that visual, and what other ideas some blocks give you, or even what kind of design you cant get right
    I'm sorry, i don't understand the question. :oops:

What did you want to know?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    You should have a whole rainbow of default skins, plus a female version. players can edit from there.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I'm sorry, i don't understand the question. :oops:

What did you want to know?
    That is what you get when typing in a rush.

I was trying to say that if we will not see these new textures so early in the game, so what do you think of talking about the creative process behind them.

As blocks which were most difficult, or one you are having a creative block. Even which is the most beautiful texture that you did.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    That is what you get when typing in a rush.

I was trying to say that if we will not see these new textures so early in the game, so what do you think of talking about the creative process behind them.

As blocks which were most difficult, or one you are having a creative block. Even which is the most beautiful texture that you did.
    Ah :D

Well these textures should be ready in 2 weeks if everything goes well. As for the process? I start by drawing on a scrap of paper with a biro, haha. My desk is a mess with random papers and scribbles on. Some of them are painted by hand in photoshop (like the attached picture) but most are done with clipping masks and shape tools in photoshop. I'd like to say i had a really clever or interesting process, but i don't, sorry! :P

Most difficult block so far has been the Ice planet flowers... i'm still struggling to create something i like for them.
    My favourite? Possibly the shield generator, but thats probably going to change when i make some of the weapons.

What do i hope to achieve with new textures? I want Starmade to clearly have it's own visual identity and stand pretty amongst other popular voxel titles. It will be a slow and steady evolution as we develop the game, but i hope near the end Starmade looks as good as it deserves.

Here's a quick peek at some flora concepts! Another project that will take place after this main texture update.

generalBLT13

Scary grrrrr
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Purchased!
    Ah :D

Well these textures should be ready in 2 weeks if everything goes well. As for the process? I start by drawing on a scrap of paper with a biro, haha. My desk is a mess with random papers and scribbles on. Some of them are painted by hand in photoshop (like the attached picture) but most are done with clipping masks and shape tools in photoshop. I'd like to say i had a really clever or interesting process, but i don't, sorry! :p

Most difficult block so far has been the Ice planet flowers... i'm still struggling to create something i like for them.
    My favourite? Possibly the shield generator, but thats probably going to change when i make some of the weapons.

What do i hope to achieve with new textures? I want Starmade to clearly have it's own visual identity and stand pretty amongst other popular voxel titles. It will be a slow and steady evolution as we develop the game, but i hope near the end Starmade looks as good as it deserves.

Here's a quick peek at some flora concepts! Another project that will take place after this main texture update.

now that is just mind blowing, i can't wait to play with these new textures :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Some people know that some mods from minecraft support connected textures. the best example here is the hull blocks, but if any other blocks could get that feel, that would be great.

other question if i may ask, what do you take in mind to chose the design of a texture for one block, like the shield generator for example?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    WOW. Those purple-planet textures are really awesome... Can't wait to see more.

EDIT: Also, I just realized that Yholes are... actual holes now... :D

Last edited:

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Some people know that some mods from minecraft support connected textures. the best example here is the hull blocks, but if any other blocks could get that feel, that would be great.

other question if i may ask, what do you take in mind to chose the design of a texture for one block, like the shield generator for example?
    Connected textures is something we have briefly talked about. I quite like the idea of it for hull blocks, however I can't remember if it was completely possible or not though. If it was, it would take some time to make / bugfix. Precious time that would be better spent on the weapons / shield / thrust currently.

Using the shield gen' for an example, i try and make system blocks look modular. I think it's important they look right with 1 block or 10,000 blocks together. The colours are usually 1 per system, shield systems are yellow power storage is green, power gen' is blue etc. Most people are never that close to blocks, so colour is a good indicator for what does what. Then i try create symbols we associate with the effect. Hexagons for shields, filling cylinders for storage etc, it just helps with how we can recognise blocks and their use. Then it's just a case of trying to make it look pretty!

Reactions: Omni and mrsinister
    Reaction score
    Really loving the look on the new stuff. Especially the plants and the shield module :)

The colour coding is very handy and not just for new players. We had the power tanks and power storage very similar for a while after the new texture packs came and it made it rather easy to accidentally break stuff by placing or removing the wrong type of block (totally didn't place a 10x10x10 block of power generators instead of storage in the middle of an intricate system of 16 individual generators). :oops:

Keep up the good work :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    After watching ur concepts of purple plants. I hope that there will be some farming system :p

I also have idea.
    What do You think to replace block model of AMC with cone?
    It would look more like cannon

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Wooooo! I like the new core texture.

Also, will the new computer textures be distinct on each face (I can look at any one face and tell instantly which computer it is?)