Hard Lock Up on linux

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    Quite randomly my system will lock up and require a REISUB.

Bunch of logs here: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/x2x3g6qrggeqj/Starmade_Logs_Oct_27_2015

It doesn't matter if its the dev or release branch, and about the only things I haven't tried is saving my ship and reloading it in a new world, or switching gfx drivers. Unfortunately I really need to sleep right about now and have lost track of what I have tried. I welcome any suggestions at all, and hope the logs help. I am running nvidia-340 drivers because the 346 ones cause KSP to lock my system much in the same way :(

Since I'm not sure if it's a system thing or starmade specific I don't feel that going thru the bug tracker is really appropriate....

Thanks!

Reaction score
    I am running nvidia-340 drivers because the 346 ones cause KSP to lock my system much in the same way
    Looking through your logs I couldn't find anything obvious, but especially in light of your KSP experiences, I'd guess there is something wrong with your system, either driver installation or quite possibly hardware related. I haven't had lockups from either SM or KSP, with Nvidia drivers from before ancient, to 355 currently...

Just in case... when you say you had to raise elephants, did you try switching to another virtual console, and kill X from there?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Just in case... when you say you had to raise elephants, did you try switching to another virtual console, and kill X from there?
    I would have but it literally froze everything. Ctrl+alt+backspace would occasionally work, but alt+tab never did. I am a pretty casual Linux (ex windows) user tho so my knowledge of other things to do is pretty sparce.

Interestingly I was doing some testing yesturday morning and when i ran it with a dedicated server, I had less lockups, but they would still happen at randomer intervals. I then ran the game in 800*600 windowed so i could have the server term, sys monitor and the game all viewable, and no lockups. I've had the game running for like 1/2 an hour now and no locking. Before I was running in 1280*720 windowed, but the ui was behind the os panel, so I had it maximized to something closer to 700 hight. I'm wondering if maybe the size difference was causing some messed up malarkey with rendering. I've set the panel to auto hide and will test with 1280*720 windowed to see what happens, after my breakfast.

Reaction score
    I would have but it literally froze everything. Ctrl+alt+backspace would occasionally work, but alt+tab never did. I am a pretty casual Linux (ex windows) user tho so my knowledge of other things to do is pretty sparce.
    CTRL-ALT-[F1] to [F6] are usually bound to virtual consoles, and are independent of X.
    C-A-F7 is usually bound to the X session, but that may vary by Linux distribution. You may want to experiment with that before your next test run ;)
    If your X locks up the next time, try CTRL-ALT-F1, or should that fail, ALT-SysRq-R to release your input from X followed by C-A-F1, and see if it drops you to a console.

Interestingly I was doing some testing yesturday morning and when i ran it with a dedicated server, I had less lockups, but they would still happen at randomer intervals. I then ran the game in 800*600 windowed so i could have the server term, sys monitor and the game all viewable, and no lockups. I've had the game running for like 1/2 an hour now and no locking. Before I was running in 1280*720 windowed, but the ui was behind the os panel, so I had it maximized to something closer to 700 hight. I'm wondering if maybe the size difference was causing some messed up malarkey with rendering. I've set the panel to auto hide and will test with 1280*720 windowed to see what happens, after my breakfast.
    All this sounds a lot like you have some hardware issues, likely overheating or possibly electrical problems, or defective components.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    CTRL-ALT-[F1] to [F6] are usually bound to virtual consoles, and are independent of X.
    C-A-F7 is usually bound to the X session, but that may vary by Linux distribution. You may want to experiment with that before your next test run ;)
    If your X locks up the next time, try CTRL-ALT-F1, or should that fail, ALT-SysRq-R to release your input from X followed by C-A-F1, and see if it drops you to a console.
    Thanks!!! I'll have to remember that.

All this sounds a lot like you have some hardware issues, likely overheating or possibly electrical problems, or defective components.
    As far as overheating is concerned my rig runs pretty cool as I have all the fans running at max. Even REISUBing and looking at the bios confirms that temps are OK. The highest I've ever seen my rig get is 40° cpu and 50° gpu

Only had a few freezes running in windowed 1280*720, running at that actual resolution. As soon as I put the panel back to non hiding and maximized starmade to make the ui fully visible, it locked up. I hadn't read your post yet, so I'll prolly test this some more and see what I can do.

Even stranger is the fact that all the freezes happened when looking at logic blocks..... ?

Reaction score
    The highest I've ever seen my rig get is 40° cpu and 50° gpu
    Not bad, I usually run into high 60s to mid-70s...

Even stranger is the fact that all the freezes happened when looking at logic blocks..... ?
    Could be low memory? Now that I think of it... if you say starting the server separately helps, that may be just it... I can't remember seeing anything in your logs, but have you tried assigning more memory to Java (the notorious -Xmx switch)? It would seem weird that low memory could hang the X session, but who knows.

Also, if you manage to switch out to a console, you might not even have to kill X, maybe it's just the SM or Java process that's hung up... try looking at the process list to find out more (man ps).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    No luck on switching to another console when it locks, but I literally played for a couple hours yesterday with no lockups, and in order to produce them I had to maximize it into a different resolution. Even running without a dedicated server, although the game lagged a couple of times without it.

The first thing I did when I got starmade was to look for the option to increase ram available to java. Learned that from minecraft, lol! Both the client and server are set to 16gb.

Anyways, strange, but at least I can play the game for more than 5 minutes again!

Thanks for the Linux knowledge!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I stuck 32gb of ram in my system for a game that was supposed to be able to take advantage of it. I set the client to the kb equivalent of 16gb, and just copied that value into the script for running the server, when i was testing that out as a solution. Never thought about it, although even running separate client/server sm never used more than 8 or 10 gb total.

I think there are intel boards that have 6 ram slots tho, so 32gb free ram isn't a stretch.

>_>

Reaction score
    I stuck 32gb of ram in my system for a game that was supposed to be able to take advantage of it. I set the client to the kb equivalent of 16gb, and just copied that value into the script for running the server, when i was testing that out as a solution. Never thought about it, although even running separate client/server sm never used more than 8 or 10 gb total.

I think there are intel boards that have 6 ram slots tho, so 32gb free ram isn't a stretch.

>_>
    Certainly not a stretch, considering 16GB modules are already on the lower end :)
    However much RAM you have, it might be better to not assign all of it. In my experience, 4GB for the client is ample, and for the server as a single player host 2GB is easily enough.