Read by Council Flow of NPCS

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    One of the things I've been thinking about is how civilian life or NPC life would actually flow. As well as how much players/heros really effect it.

The main suggestion is, if feasible, don't let NPCs just warp around. They should follow the same rules as the player. I'm imagining that you'll need NPCs to fill your stations and planets. I don't really want them to just show up. It would be astoundingly cool to see transports show up and drop off NPCs as you build civilizations and outposts.

Freeform thought now: This would also give an interesting gameplay feature where maybe named NPCs had to actually board certain ships destined to certain areas before they could escape and what not. Giving more of a feeling that there are certain power house AI players like the current PCs.

Reaction score
    So you're basically going for AIs following standard transport rules?
    I'm reasonably certain this was always in their works for NPCs. I don't think the devs would break their own laws of physics for NPCs.
    Powerful NPCs are an interesting idea. I don't know if they planned that kind of thing out, but it seems likely (they've gone in-depth with the NPCs, sounds like this system's gonna be their pride and joy when they GIVE IT TO US ;) ).
    It's still a neat idea, but it all sounds very much like what they've already planned.

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    So you're basically going for AIs following standard transport rules?
    I'm reasonably certain this was always in their works for NPCs. I don't think the devs would break their own laws of physics for NPCs.
    Powerful NPCs are an interesting idea. I don't know if they planned that kind of thing out, but it seems likely (they've gone in-depth with the NPCs, sounds like this system's gonna be their pride and joy when they GIVE IT TO US ;) ).
    It's still a neat idea, but it all sounds very much like what they've already planned.
    That might be true, but they've never explicitly stated it. So I did!

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    One word: Breeding

I imagine it would be weird if you are at your base and NPCs are just popping into existence. I'm not sure how population growth will happen, it may be something that happens only in an unloaded state.

Reactions: alterintel

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    One word: Breeding

I imagine it would be weird if you are at your base and NPCs are just popping into existence. I'm not sure how population growth will happen, it may be something that happens only in an unloaded state.
    This is another fair point.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    This brings back the happy thoughts of me trying to build a trading outpost in Minecraft. I would set up a villager breeder, let it go and just keep the villagers that had good trades. It was allot of fun. I can't wait to do this in Starmade :D

Reaction score
    I would imagine that players would be able to set up colonies and manage them. NPC factions I hope will try to grow their own populations to feed a workforce or battle fleet.

I have some interesting ideas of my own on how you could do this. 4x games provide a lot a possible systems to use in the macroverse of Starmade. Food is a key component in many of those systems so I'm hoping for farming and other food systems alongside population growth.

Reaction score
    I doubt they're skipping that, it'd be an amazing addition. It'd be a huge pain in the rear for some, but hey, if you can't spend the time to enslave --- I mean hire NPC farmers, well, that's your problem.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    This brings back the happy thoughts of me trying to build a trading outpost in Minecraft. I would set up a villager breeder, let it go and just keep the villagers that had good trades. It was allot of fun. I can't wait to do this in Starmade :D
    There are villagers with good trades?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I have a feeling that the happiness ratings that the devs have been talking about means that committing genocide on any NPCs you don't want is going to make them very unhappy.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Hey, I can't be held responsible should a couple lazy NPC's without any redeeming qualities should happen to fall in a pit full of lava. Can I?

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I have a feeling that the happiness ratings that the devs have been talking about means that committing genocide on any NPCs you don't want is going to make them very unhappy.
    what if the happiness rating only effects individuals. if their buddy dies and they see it they'd be saying "glad its not me"

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    what if the happiness rating only effects individuals. if their buddy dies and they see it they'd be saying "glad its not me"
    Most people get a little bit sad when all their friends start vanishing.

I would imagine they'd have some sort of system in place to prevent mass genocide without the population becoming incredibly unhappy, ineffective workers, who are prone to mutiny and system-wide rebellion.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Most people get a little bit sad when all their friends start vanishing.

I would imagine they'd have some sort of system in place to prevent mass genocide without the population becoming incredibly unhappy, ineffective workers, who are prone to mutiny and system-wide rebellion.
    since we employ them I think we should be able to lay them off if they arn't useful to us. Although I get the feeling that the way NPCs will develop they will learn skills as we put them to work. They might start off with an advanced knowledge of propulsion systems but we need them to work on repairs and as they repair they will eventually become as proficient as they were in propulsion. so in a sense no NPC will ever be useless

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    since we employ them I think we should be able to lay them off if they arn't useful to us. Although I get the feeling that the way NPCs will develop they will learn skills as we put them to work. They might start off with an advanced knowledge of propulsion systems but we need them to work on repairs and as they repair they will eventually become as proficient as they were in propulsion. so in a sense no NPC will ever be useless
    Laying them off isn't the same as killing the civilians that exist within your empire, is what I mean. Of course, people might get sad if you're laying everyone off as well.

Reaction score
    Laying them off isn't the same as killing the civilians that exist within your empire, is what I mean. Of course, people might get sad if you're laying everyone off as well.
    Man, I'd be sad if I were just laid off cause the boss didn't like my work.
    Not as sad as I'd be if there were genocide going on, though that'd create more of a "Vengeance for the Victims" sort of feeling. Not a good way for your overseer to stay in said position for long.

Reactions: Lecic
    Reaction score
    This would be really cool. I imagine if they are mistreated or neglected the NPC's will form their own faction.

Reaction score
    I would imagine that players would be able to set up colonies and manage them. NPC factions I hope will try to grow their own populations to feed a workforce or battle fleet.

I have some interesting ideas of my own on how you could do this. 4x games provide a lot a possible systems to use in the macroverse of Starmade. Food is a key component in many of those systems so I'm hoping for farming and other food systems alongside population growth.
    This is one of those things I'd only want to set up the first time, then let the AI handle after that. It would be great if you could 'teach' an NPC how to set up a farm, or a mining outpost, or what have you, then just have them take care of it the next time you need one.

Then again, my idea of a great 4X game is Age of Wonders, not Civilization, which is a pretentious way of saying I hate micromanagement of resource collection.

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    which is a pretentious way of saying I hate micromanagement of resource collection.
    I think this is a fantastic point. Since we seem to be headed the way of a 4x RTS it makes sense to try to define what kind of gameplay we'd want in super lategame. I would not be happy with that kind of micromanagement either. I'm think hoping for a more Risk like late game. Very little micromanagement expect for battles and moving combat assets around.