Block placement edge-to-edge and corner-to-corner

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    When making diagonal lines, circles or curved surfaces lots of extra blocks have to be placed and deleted again afterwards, like the red blocks in the following example:

StarMade EdgeEdge 2.png

It would save much time and effort if it was possible to attach blocks to edges and corners of other blocks. This could be implemented with click-sensitive areas close to edges and corners:

StarMade EdgeCorner 2.png

(1) Normal face-to-face placement.
    (2) Clicking on the red area close to an edge places a block diagonally.
    (3) Clicking on the red area close to a corner results in the blocks only touching at a corner.
    (4) Corner-to-corner placement is only possible where edge-to-edge placement isn't, and edge-to-edge placement is only possible where face-to-face placement isn't, otherwise there would be an overlap of the sensitive areas of neighbouring blocks.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I think it should be a toggle option in ABM (Advanced Build Mode) so it doesn't mess with people who don't want the feature/get annoyed when placing blocks when suddenly they have a staircase instead of a line.

Noc

Reaction score
    And here I am believing the opposite, diagonals shouldn't count as connected at all.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    And here I am believing the opposite, diagonals shouldn't count as connected at all.
    I think they don't (if you enable experimental breaking of unconnected ship parts).

It is not about being connected, but more easily place diagonals mid-air (or mid-space ;)).

You gave me an idea...

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    I like it, but it could get frustrating though. Now we have something that if you go near the edge that it flips the box area. Not entirely sure if that is a bug or something intended since it is useful from time to time.