Anyone want to help out with this?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    Alright, so I'm going to try to build...wait for it...wait for it...KUAT DRIVE YARDS! For those of you who don't know, Kuat Drive Yards (from Star Wars) build the Ships, transports, and all sorts of armored vehicles for the Republic, and later the Empire. The Yards themselves were a rotating ring that wrapped around the planet Kuat. Much of the Yards workers lived in the ring, and hosted families here.

More background http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kuat_Drive_Yards

Ok, so I plan to pick a planet on the NFD Build Server to do this on. Obviously this will take a lot of work. I'm not the best builder in the world, which is why I need YOUR help in this project. Any questions, or saying you want to build, just speak up.

THANKS GUYS!!!

Spartan4845

Master of Chimichangas and Star Trek Shells
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Tried it, planet self destructed.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1449799269,1449799154][/DOUBLEPOST]To expand, I built it off the top plate of the planet so that it had built in Gravity, but the size was so much that when I got knocked away lag stopped me from getting close until the whole thing disappeared.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Tried it, planet self destructed.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1449799269,1449799154][/DOUBLEPOST]To expand, I built it off the top plate of the planet so that it had built in Gravity, but the size was so much that when I got knocked away lag stopped me from getting close until the whole thing disappeared.
    Well, with new optimizations from hotfixes, patches, and updates, hopefully a skilled team can pull this off. Thanks for the advice though. We can make a station out of it instead of extending it from the planet itself.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    Bruh, make a station as close as you can to the planet but still maintain the correct idea and ascetics. Then build off the station, and just go in a ring. I'd also suggest finding a smallish planet to build around.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Guys.... you do know you can create your own planet??
    I created a earth-like planet (diameter of 100) by hand and boy does it look good (and not produce lag)

Reactions: idiotplaysgames
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I personaly prefer more 'natural' looking planets to the ones starmade currently has (plus next to no lag).
    If anyone wants, I can always upload a copy of it.

What sort of size planet were you looking at OP :?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I personaly prefer more 'natural' looking planets to the ones starmade currently has (plus next to no lag).
    If anyone wants, I can always upload a copy of it.

What sort of size planet were you looking at OP :?
    I wouldn't mind using a prefab planet if it reduced server lag.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Alright, so I'm going to try to build...wait for it...wait for it...KUAT DRIVE YARDS! For those of you who don't know, Kuat Drive Yards (from Star Wars) build the Ships, transports, and all sorts of armored vehicles for the Republic, and later the Empire. The Yards themselves were a rotating ring that wrapped around the planet Kuat. Much of the Yards workers lived in the ring, and hosted families here.

More background http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kuat_Drive_Yards

Ok, so I plan to pick a planet on the NFD Build Server to do this on. Obviously this will take a lot of work. I'm not the best builder in the world, which is why I need YOUR help in this project. Any questions, or saying you want to build, just speak up.

THANKS GUYS!!!
    Played around with the idea a little.
    I went to a planet found with one rotational axis. Found corn of the plate that lines with the block that divides plate near in half then made a line of blocks across the axis to other side to measure distance across plate. Cut in half to find center. Then I went out blocks equal in 4 directions. to see what it would take to get past the edge of other plates. 300 blocks on the small planet I was on.

I figured it wouldn't be to hard to set a rotater at the center point. It woudn't be much good to rotate the entire platform because you would end up having gravity issues. However it could be use to create a train that runs around the planet so that one can get off on each segment of platform rather than having to walk all the way around.

the plat form would be easy enough from that stage I ran the posts out. run post down to equator. Then start making a circle. It might cause some gravity issues because the plates below would be trying to get gravity one direction while the platform would have an over lapping gravity field . Not sure exactly what issue that will cause. who knows build it out far enough and it might cause none at all.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Played around with the idea a little.
    Assuming gravity mechanics have not changed too drastically, in the last update or so, you should only have one direction of gravity shared with the single plate that ring came from. That's because each plate is a separate entity with it's own gravity.

It may be easiest of all to just nuke a planet with plates you like, gather them up, and then copy/paste each plate onto a single chosen plate. 1 entity, 1 gravity, minimal lag, direct core access for rotators and the like too.

Otherwise best of luck on this one. Tried a while back to make a jump planet with a massive (warp)ring gate, was fun, and then it smoked my server and I had to start from scratch.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Assuming gravity mechanics have not changed too drastically, in the last update or so, you should only have one direction of gravity shared with the single plate that ring came from. That's because each plate is a separate entity with it's own gravity.

It may be easiest of all to just nuke a planet with plates you like, gather them up, and then copy/paste each plate onto a single chosen plate. 1 entity, 1 gravity, minimal lag, direct core access for rotators and the like too.

Otherwise best of luck on this one. Tried a while back to make a jump planet with a massive (warp)ring gate, was fun, and then it smoked my server and I had to start from scratch.
    In the past I've built from one plat into another's gravity field and it causes some issues. Crossing the plate line I lost gravity some times it would try and orientate me to that plate. Not sure how much it changed since then. I suspect if you build the ring out far enough it won't be an issue one way or another.

Shouldn't be to hard to do either.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Alright...THANKS GUYS!!!
    This took right at 2 hours. 1 person.
    The planet plates are 500 meters across. The inner circumference is right at 1000 meters. The platforms are 100 meters deep.
    Its only an octagon. There may be faster ways of doing it. Just used what I currently know. The bays are 40 meters high only.

The block count at his point is over 2 million and mass just using hull is already 74,000+ Which doesn't matter much its a station grant you.
    But the block count does. You will also notice it is over 1 Km so you probably want a sector of at least 5 with a planet that is very centered in it.

As you can see you can't see the majority of the station. From what I've seen as block count increase that gets worse. So you probably only see an 1/8th or so of the station by the time you are done. But that also is good bit dependent on your system and settings. Not trying to discourage you but just saying be prepared for it.

I also tested out the gravity no more issues like the last time I ried something like this guessing that update a while back fixed it.
    If you are wondering about how much room there is. Each of the 8 sections works out to nearly 500 meters each with 100 meter depth.
    I might actually keep this but I am not going to spend the time trying to make a circle out of it. It can be done with a not a great deal of work but not sure its worth the effort.
    I'd upload the sector file but it says its to large is 2 meg in size zipped.

Last edited:
    Reactions: nightrune
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    This took right at 2 hours. 1 person.
    The planet plates are 500 meters across. The inner circumference is right at 1000 meters. The platforms are 100 meters deep.
    Its only an octagon. There may be faster ways of doing it. Just used what I currently know. The bays are 40 meters high only.

The block count at his point is over 2 million and mass just using hull is already 74,000+ Which doesn't matter much its a station grant you.
    But the block count does. You will also notice it is over 1 Km so you probably want a sector of at least 5 with a planet that is very centered in it.
    for all the Halos,man (x_x) JUST BUILD A 600 RADIUS DONUT SHIP. dock it around planet and build shipyard points stuff from planet so the thing can work as it supposed to work.
    why do ppls always wants to surely crash game by overkmsized things ON PLANETS?
    and why would you build such tediously hard to build thing on a single planet on a BUILD SERVER? ship version can be :
    1)modified into a mobile mothership unit.
    2) bringed between multiple servers
    3)used as fancy but silly thing to rotate around your space station

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    for all the Halos,man (x_x) JUST BUILD A 600 RADIUS DONUT SHIP. dock it around planet and build shipyard points stuff from planet so the thing can work as it supposed to work.
    and why would you build such tediously hard to build thing on a single planet on a BUILD SERVER? ship version can be :
    a) Cause Big is cool
    b) Shipyard ships can't be built
    c) people are silly.
    d) And crashing the game is actually kind of the point in alpha.

Just a few reasons I can think off the top of my head. :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2

I have to agree the better option would be to simply dock a core and do the exact same thing. Just need to adjust for whatever planet size you put it around. A ship would also give the ease of moving it as you say.
    That said with the optimizations done to planets it seems to work find. Sure works a hell of a lot better than it did in the past. plus you have instant gravity. not always a good thing though.

i didn't do it on a build server I did it on a test server. It really wasn't that hard. now that it has been down 1 time it will take a lot less to do so again.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    a) Cause Big is cool
    b) Shipyard ships can't be built
    a)it wont be any smaller.
    b) reread my post. with rails you can build with perfect alignment. just build a piece of planet floating in the Halo shipyard port like its 1 piece.
    ima gona go sleep. seeyal and yal's bright ideas to resist my simple concept of a ship tomoraw.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    a)it wont be any smaller.
    b) reread my post. with rails you can build with perfect alignment. just build a piece of planet floating in the Halo shipyard port like its 1 piece.
    ima gona go sleep. seeyal and yal's bright ideas to resist my simple concept of a ship tomoraw.
    well if it's not any smaller why bother moving it? if it's a station, mass is irrelevant. Adding engines to the thing would take out huge chunks of space you could use for other stuff no? So it would be a smaller space to work with after adding enough thrust to move 100-200k mass ship. Unless you like crawling along :P

Even if you align it that way you still need to power it from the planet. So you're building on the planet anyways. I get what you mean by rail docking it to the planet and having it "hover" but you still gotta power the thing, build all the way out to the ring anyways and at that point you've sort of negated any bonus in just having a donut. Taking into account all the effort it requires to calculate the exact positioning, well it removes a certain, creative freedom.