Read by Council AFK kick

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Can we please get a server setting that will kick people after X minutes (0 minutes for disable) of not moving/doing literally anything. Server resources are precious. People sat there doing nothing but keeping things loaded should be automatically kicked.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Personally, I'd prefer a default of 60 minutes instead of, say, 15 minutes. Sometimes, I have to be pulled away from my keyboard, and 15 minutes just isn't enough time to get back from something important.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Personally, I'd prefer a default of 60 minutes instead of, say, 15 minutes. Sometimes, I have to be pulled away from my keyboard, and 15 minutes just isn't enough time to get back from something important.
    Why? For 15 minutes you're wasting RAM when disconnecting would have no adverse effect

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I like being AFK to make sure factories and refineries still do their thing, but I can definitely support this as an option to help servers that have a larger number of active players.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Does it really waste that much server RAM to be idle in a sector? Server stress seems greatest when performing actions like generating planets, constantly loading new stuff in, collisions, and battle.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Does it really waste that much server RAM to be idle in a sector? Server stress seems greatest when performing actions like generating planets, constantly loading new stuff in, collisions, and battle.
    RAM isn't the only concern. Imagine sitting at a large homebase with tonnes of stuff docked. All of those rail things causing lag because schema. Kicking them would solve that issue. In a game with so many performance issues, it would just be nice to remove anyone doing that.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I see your point, but it's kinda sad to need this solution to help deal with game code huh?

For some reason I thought requiring rail speed controllers to set a rail for non-moving docking to zero was fixed.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Why? For 15 minutes you're wasting RAM when disconnecting would have no adverse effect
    Because when it's important enough (an emergency), I don't even have time to disconnect. I'm up, out of the room in the time it would take to go through the motions just to quit suddenly. (What can I say? Some of us lead exciting lives.) :cool:
    However, this is one of the reasons why I play single player, not on a public server.
    If you are concerned about the timing, and this were implemented, you could set the time-out time lower on your particular server. This suggestion includes a server config option.

Reaction score
    I'm up, out of the room in the time it would take to go through the motions just to quit suddenly.
    Then the game logs off for you. Just 5 minutes, let alone 15 or 60, should be enough time for any ship to stop flying(unless logic happens, but thats afk stuff). If you run away in the middle of a fight, it'd be better uf the sector unloaded than the enemy slowly killing you.