WizTech Fleetworks Ship Classification Guide (WIP; in-depth, role-oriented)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I've been thinking and working on this for quite a while, and finally got the WIP into a state I'm willing to share it in. As the title says, this is a classification system primarily oriented around the roles of the vessel instead of arbitrary mass measurements, though it does take length into consideration (with no strict size requirements).

WizTech Fleetworks Ship Classification Guide (wip)

( I apologize that the table-of-contents is meaningless with this link... it seems when you publish a google doc, it doesn't maintain separate pages.)

Reactions: aRottenKomquat
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Is always interesting to see what another player considers size wise as certain things :D

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Is always interesting to see what another player considers size wise as certain things :D
    Yeah, I've taken inspiration for the sizes from various things. My issue with a lot of build scales is people's fighters tend to be fairly large, and capital ships small. Imo, capitals should absolutely dwarf fighters, like an x-wing vs an Imperial class star destroyer.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Yeah, I've taken inspiration for the sizes from various things. My issue with a lot of build scales is people's fighters tend to be fairly large, and capital ships small. Imo, capitals should absolutely dwarf fighters, like an x-wing vs an Imperial class star destroyer.
    I mean you arent wrong, however that is pretty impractical in starmade, at that size scale i mean.
    The x wing is only 13 meters long, maximum, good luck making a ship thats that big have the same amount of firepower an x wing has in the star wars universe xD

Though, to me a capital ship is anything over 500 meters. With most of my frigates being 100-200 meters long.
    Dont really make fighters, they arent fun for me to make, but the one i have sits at 75 meters.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Everything in StarMade is bigger due to the fact that in order to be effective, ships need a minimum amount of power/shields/weaponry/etc. So while the capital ships might be close to proper size, a fighter needs to be bigger to be effective. If they're just for show, well, you can make them any size you want.

But we all know that ship classification systems are arbitrary and different for each person.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I mean you arent wrong, however that is pretty impractical in starmade, at that size scale i mean.
    The x wing is only 13 meters long, maximum, good luck making a ship thats that big have the same amount of firepower an x wing has in the star wars universe xD

Though, to me a capital ship is anything over 500 meters. With most of my frigates being 100-200 meters long.
    Dont really make fighters, they arent fun for me to make, but the one i have sits at 75 meters.

Eh, I tend to base "capital ship" classification off of how it's done irl, and generally only (historical) battleships or (modern) carriers are considered capitals. Still, my build style tends towards cosmetics, so I have no qualms building, say, a 13 m x-wing (and if at all possible, make the s-foils move like I did with my ARC170).
    [doublepost=1498146751,1498146668][/doublepost]
    Everything in StarMade is bigger due to the fact that in order to be effective, ships need a minimum amount of power/shields/weaponry/etc. So while the capital ships might be close to proper size, a fighter needs to be bigger to be effective. If they're just for show, well, you can make them any size you want.

But we all know that ship classification systems are arbitrary and different for each person.
    By all means you aren't wrong, though as I replied to the other person, I go more towards the aesthetic side of things XD I mean, I still want functioning weapons 'n' shit, but... obviously my fighters won't be as powerful as the fighters of others.