Recognized Wireless Touch Logic

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    There a quite a few instances where wireless doesn't work well. I'd really like to not have to connect them in astronaut mode.

My suggestion is this.

Add a new block or add a feature to the wireless block. If there is an adjacent wireless block on a different entity. It should send events to that one.

In the above image there are two entities, If I activated the activator, and it was connected to the bottom wireless. I would expect the top wireless to activate as well. Thus allowing contact logic. This could allow small data buses to be connected and help automate things like storage pulling or robots.

Reaction score
    Sounds like a good idea to me, this could be very helpful for some designs

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    +1
    I don't see why not, it would sure save people a lot of time. One thing though, don't you have to leave one ship to place the second wireless block on the other one anyways?

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    +1
    I don't see why not, it would sure save people a lot of time. One thing though, don't you have to leave one ship to place the second wireless block on the other one anyways?

Not when you start auto building fleets,torpedos, storage containers, or have fighters close thier wings on the ladding area.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Not when you start auto building fleets,torpedos, storage containers, or have fighters close thier wings on the ladding area.
    Okay, you've got me now. :p Definitely needs to be a thing!

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I concur with this. The touch concept itself could probably have other uses, too, such as transfer of firepower, backup docking points, or perhaps centralized turret control.

Reactions: nightrune
    Reaction score
    That would be a blessing. First: would be very handy. Second: would open HUGE possibilities. Imagine an entity which movement could change connections. Third: would be stable. Sometimes BP-loaded logic is missing wireless connections which have to be re-made by hand. And it's real-world-based -- just look at a simple power socket.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    That would be a blessing. First: would be very handy. Second: would open HUGE possibilities. Imagine an entity which movement could change connections. Third: would be stable. Sometimes BP-loaded logic is missing wireless connections which have to be re-made by hand. And it's real-world-based -- just look at a simple power socket.
    It also eases making serial logic. You don't have to make the connections between the [possibly thousands of] serial elements.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    +1
    Yay! A local wireless signal the thing I have always wanted! (but somehow never thought of this)
    The new ways of using this for my circuits are endless think of a pseudorandom signal made with a rotating entity. Or ship recognition based on the placement of the wireless block.

Reaction score
    the thing that can solve the entire problem whould be a gui or a list of all wireless blocks on entity's that are connected to the main entity like the transporter menu.

Because everytime i load a ship form a server to single player i need to reconnect all the wereless connections, and a list whould realy speed it up

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    the thing that can solve the entire problem whould be a gui or a list of all wireless blocks on entity's that are connected to the main entity like the transporter menu.

Because everytime i load a ship form a server to single player i need to reconnect all the wereless connections, and a list whould realy speed it up
    While that would speed it up, having adjacency based logic transmissions as an option is a huge advantage when building serial systems[e.g. a memory unit or elevators with thousands of floors]

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    this would work nice to make a rotary firing engine that could be linked to numerous entities.You got my vote on this nightrune

Reaction score
    Okay, going to Necro this so I don't get hit for not using the search function.

I was thinking about introducing 2 more no-collision build-only blocks to achieve this and reduce the server load from the checks required. When an input and an output block overlap the input block mirrors the state of the output block from the other vessel. This would allow us to only use them when we want contact logic ability and reduces the required checks from the use of regular wireless logic modules.

Has the council presented this to the Devs? Any News?

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Okay, going to Necro this so I don't get hit for not using the search function.

I was thinking about introducing 2 more no-collision build-only blocks to achieve this and reduce the server load from the checks required. When an input and an output block overlap the input block mirrors the state of the output block from the other vessel. This would allow us to only use them when we want contact logic ability and reduces the required checks from the use of regular wireless logic modules.

Has the council presented this to the Devs? Any News?
    This is definitely a cool solution. When the title recognized by council is added it means theyve read an likely brought it to schine.

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I like the original concept of effectively linking two wireless (or new type) modules if they are adjacent but on separate docked entities. This likely should only require extra checks when docking or undocking entities, to connect or disconnect these links. I think it allows some great potential for automated interaction between docked entities--coordinated airlocks and lights, control of a docked ship's logic, etc.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Sounds like a good idea. I will keep hold of this suggestions.