Wireless Logic Activator (Remote Control)

Reaction score
    Basically a Starmade version of the wireless redstone controller from Minecraft - can't remember if it's actually in vanilla MC or part of a mod, but still.

The concept is awesomely simple, there are two elements to it, the Receiver Block, and the handheld Wireless Controller. You input a frequency into the Receiver Block (a number), and input the same frequency into your handheld controller. Then when you "use" the controller, it will fire a wireless activation pulse to any of your placed Receiver Blocks that hold that frequency. This could also be regulated by faction ownership/permissions of the entity the Receiver Block resides upon. The activation pulse received is then fired through the relay of logic systems it's attached too, essentially functioning like the "starter" activation block, but wirelessly.

This would create some awesome dynamics in tactical combat, remote detonation minefields, forcefields, defensive arrays - making a ship "play dead" to lure in scavengers, only to remotely unleash hell on them as they come to take your bait.

There are countless ways this could be awesome for the game.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    The only thing i'd change is i wouldn't have it as a hand held controller, but a block to allow communication between one ships logic systems and another, no reason not to have both though.

Reactions: Vakna
    Reaction score
    The only thing i'd change is i wouldn't have it as a hand held controller, but a block to allow communication between one ships logic systems and another, no reason not to have both though.
    The whole point of it being handheld is that it is wireless and literally remote control, you can activate it from wherever you are, be it in another ship, another station, or floating out somewhere in the void of space. Having it as just another block would defeat it's purpose.

Having a ship to ship logic communication block also sounds like a nice idea though, could open up things like command and control stations operating a fleet computer network.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The whole point of it being handheld is that it is wireless and literally remote control, you can activate it from wherever you are, be it in another ship, another station, or floating out somewhere in the void of space. Having it as just another block would defeat it's purpose....
    My Spidey Sense is tingling. I want to like this idea, but it sounds like Troll Candy.

Reaction score
    My Spidey Sense is tingling. I want to like this idea, but it sounds like Troll Candy.
    If it's implemented properly, based on ownership/permissions of the entity you're remote controlling, then it's troll-proof.

If some random dude boards your ship, gets your frequency codes and decides to mess some stuff up because your ships is not factioned, well then you live and learn. No different from what happens already if you don't protect your ship.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Actually, what if the codes were faction-locked? (so channel 2 being activated on my faction's channels doesn't activate channel 2 somewhere else.)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Actually, what if the codes were faction-locked? (so channel 2 being activated on my faction's channels doesn't activate channel 2 somewhere else.)
    You mean that sending faction-signals only triggers faction-receivers? Like.

But I more like the idea of having everybody being able to send maybe a 5+ bits sequence, 5 bits password, + bits signal and ignore further requests after 3 failed password attempts.
    • Would require a shipload of logic as long as 5 useless (on logic) orientation bits not get sacrificed for 1+ 5 more logic bits, but a nice feature (hacking).
    • You would have to build your password:
      • entirely built-in (flip-flops or buttons) with sent pw-state, intern pw-state comparators are safe.
      • bit-relays with "(0bits ->or->not), (not, 1bits -> and -> pw ok)" checks can be hacked through build mode
    If you don't want to build the more complex bit-comparators, you have to pay the price if somebody tries to hack it.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I would like to see this, but in the following form.

A personal item that when left clicked (not that annoying rollover on helmets) on the hot bar will activate an activator with a logic connection. It should have a cooldown and a block radius of about 64-100 blocks. Right clicking on an activator block would set its link.

A block that is tuned using an already linked remote activator, perform the same action using the same logic as the above but in block form instead.

Security would not be an issue as you would be using internal position and uuid data to bind the objects.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Basically a Starmade version of the wireless redstone controller from Minecraft - can't remember if it's actually in vanilla MC or part of a mod, but still.
    It's from a mod.

Yes, this would be a handy feature.