Why the heck is the speedlimit still so low

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Ok so 50 -> 75 was a good improvement. But still. NOBODY uses that slow speed if they're going to actually play the game and not just build. At least 150-300 should be the default speed limit.

Reaction score
    I personally switched back to the defaut speed limit because of it ratcheting up projectile speeds if you touch it - battles look a lot better visually imo when you can actually see what your shooting and what's being shot at. unfortunately, it is a bit too low. now me myself would like it if there wasn't a hard cap and speed was based off of your ships design, but doubling it would be nice imo

Reaction score
    now me myself would like it if there wasn't a hard cap and speed was based off of your ships design,
    This.
    Acceleration based on thrust/mass, with either no, or a ridiculously high max speed. You know, like real space :P

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    has anybody tried setting the sector size to 1000km,and speed limit to 5000 m/s
    you feel like you are dropping from a warp speed

Last edited:

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Yea, the low speed means that it takes a huge amount of time to get anywhere in the early game before you get a jump drive, and besides that simply makes no sense. Why is a futuristic space ship slower than a 20 year old car?

Reactions: SkylordLuke
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yea, the low speed means that it takes a huge amount of time to get anywhere in the early game before you get a jump drive, and besides that simply makes no sense. Why is a futuristic space ship slower than a 20 year old car?
    cause our so called futuristic spacecraft are retired US and Russian nuclear submarines refitted for space travel... albeit very slow space travel

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Speed limit in Starmade is m/s, not KpH. KpH = m/s * 3,6.
    150m/s is 540 kph.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Because tunneling, game physics are not IRL physics; when an object moves it doesn't really 'move' rather it jumps or teleports in small increments. A ship moving at 5ms is teleporting 5 increments along the games coordinate grid every game-step. A ship moving 50000ms is teleporting 50000 increments along the games coordinate grid every game step, at that point the increments become larger than objects and the ship simply skips over them without ever colliding with them or even occupying the same space. This makes the ship appear to fly or tunnel straight through objects.

There is a system known as ray-casting where the ship checks the line between its current position and the position it is about to jump to before moving, and stops at/collides with any intervening objects it finds along that line. IIRC there is a setting in server.cfg that allows an experimental version of this feature to be turned on but I haven't tested it.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    If it's such an issue for you, increase it. I think it's a good limit for default, though.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    bump it to 100 and it feels fine but anything over 300 in overkill most times.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    As Lecic mentioned, it is easy to change to your liking at any moment; changing the setting wont affect your world in any way, and it's a single variable. Default value is but a middle ground between 'unbearably slow' and 'relatively safe' in relation to default sector dimensions.