Why not color projectiles with weapon effects instead of lightblocks?

Reaction score
    Right now you can give your weapon any color given that there is a light block with that specific color.

But when I saw that schema also added weapon effects, it kinda made me wonder:
    Wouldn't it be much cooler if the weapon effect would influence the projectile's color depending on the % of it being applied instead of having light blocks influence it?

This would have two effects:

-People will probably dislike the idea because of this, but it will "take away" projectile color "customization", as projectile color will fully depend on the effect you apply to it.

-Projectile color can possibly give tactical information to some extent: you can determine what kind of effect the enemy is using by looking at the color of their projectiles.

I personally think that it would be much more logical if weapon color depended on the effects, adding too much unconstrained customization to the game will make it meaningless.

But you can sort of imagine the colors already:
    -Push could be purple
    -Extra shield damage could be blue
    -Piercing could be red
    -etc etc

What do you guys think?

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I support more customizability. Of course I will be coloring my weapons appropriately as I feel. This is sort of along the same lines as the discussion to rename missiles but starmade itself should be as vague as possible, allowing for the creation of unique lore. One server may say emp shot has to be green.

Also this would limit the ability for factions and shipyards to have weapon color sets specifically for them. Or team based competitions that require you to color your guns to match team color.

I love Stargate so all my rapid fire guns are yellow to mimic this, an option that would be closed off. Also remember any lights source can be a color and not just lights, all crystals and even lava works.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Projectile color can possibly give tactical information to some extent: you can determine what kind of effect the enemy is using by looking at the color of their projectiles
    The effect is determinable, the moment you are affected by (insert system name here). E.g. the AMC-subsystem-effect(higher RoF, lower DpT), can be easily found out by
    A: measuring the shot projectiles/second
    B: measuring how often your screen flashes when hit by the beam

Last edited:

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    i thought about this a while ago. It does make sense for balance reasons. if your up against an opponents knowing what type of effect he's using just by the color of his weapons will allow u to know how to defend against it

Reaction score
    The effect is determinable, the moment you are affected by (insert system name here). E.g. the AMC-subsystem-effect(higher RoF, lower DpT), can be easily found out by
    A: measuring the shot projectiles/second
    B: measuring how often your screen flashes when hit by the beam
    I'm not talking about those effects.......

I'm talking about the ones that aren't weapons, under the General --> Effects tab in the shop.

How would one spot a push effect without getting hit first?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Instead of different color of projectiles, we could have different effects for them (graphical ones). EMP could have small lightnings around it, etc.

Reactions: Archer6621
    Reaction score
    Instead of different color of projectiles, we could have different effects for them (graphical ones). EMP could have small lightnings around it, etc.
    I like the sound of this, perhaps each of the projectiles could look slightly different then in shape as well, might be interesting for sure!

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    When the particle system is done we could have different impact effects allowing you to see what's hitting you. Of course I think I would rather have some kind of sensor system that allows us to scan ships and get an outline of their systems.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Right now you can give your weapon any color given that there is a light block with that specific color.

But when I saw that schema also added weapon effects, it kinda made me wonder:
    Wouldn't it be much cooler if the weapon effect would influence the projectile's color depending on the % of it being applied instead of having light blocks influence it?

This would have two effects:

-People will probably dislike the idea because of this, but it will "take away" projectile color "customization", as projectile color will fully depend on the effect you apply to it.

-Projectile color can possibly give tactical information to some extent: you can determine what kind of effect the enemy is using by looking at the color of their projectiles.

I personally think that it would be much more logical if weapon color depended on the effects, adding too much unconstrained customization to the game will make it meaningless.

But you can sort of imagine the colors already:
    -Push could be purple
    -Extra shield damage could be blue
    -Piercing could be red
    -etc etc

What do you guys think?
    I was actually thinking of this, but the thing is we have different opinions what colours would do what. I for example wanted purple to be the stop effect. Some blue lasers could be very damaging, but at the same time they could be ion lasers and whatnot.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Nah, I'd prefer colors to be customizable, thank you very much.
    That would be a million times better, and make a lot more sense.