Why enforcing the use of stations?

Reaction score
    The developers made some blocks to be staion-only just to encourage the use of stations. I've readed and heared that. But why is so important?

I guess they assume players don't like to have stations and we would never build them, right? Because they have to enforce stations in several ways, not just for homebase or warpgate purposes.
    So, why don't just remove the stations from the game?

Well, that's too radical.
    So, why don't just leave stations to keep claimed systems and warpgates? Also the users who like stations will keep building stations. Stations could even have extra energy bonus or something to encourage them (something extra on stations, instead limits on ships).

Is there any reason to enforce the construction of stations? (besides performance reasons)

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I'd suggest reading through this:

Frequent Suggestions Megathread

Stations and Planets are likely to be a big part of larger gameplay. I'm excited for it.

There are plans right now to allow station only blocks on "Capitol ships." If you are antsy though. There is a config setting that allows station blocks on ships right now.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Because factories on ships don't work.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Wait, do factories actually not work on ships? I've put them on ships and opened them up before, just never tested to see if they can produce anything. This is different from putting a shipyard on a ship, which will crash the game when you try to open the computer.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Wait, do factories actually not work on ships? I've put them on ships and opened them up before, just never tested to see if they can produce anything. This is different from putting a shipyard on a ship, which will crash the game when you try to open the computer.
    awhile ago, it did work fine. but i cant remember how long ago that was

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Last time I tried it, a few months ago, the factories flat-out didn't do anything on a ship. Gave me a blank GUI, I think.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Up until now there is actually very little use for stations or planetary bases. The only purpose most players use one for is the construction of a homebase that keeps their assets safe. With future plans for NPC's, crew members and passive resource gen, it will be much more lucrative to build multiple stations as it will be the only way to make use of these gameplay features.

Factories do not work on ships. This will change, when I am unsure.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Up until now there is actually very little use for stations or planetary bases. The only purpose most players use one for is the construction of a homebase that keeps their assets safe. With future plans for NPC's, crew members and passive resource gen, it will be much more lucrative to build multiple stations as it will be the only way to make use of these gameplay features.

Factories do not work on ships. This will change, when I am unsure.
    You call it "very little use", I'd call it ultimate reason.
    It could change if devs will implement sth that will require a lot of surface to use (like farms) so putting it onto ship would be useless.