Who plays with "draw logic pipes" on?

Do you have "draw logic pipes" turned on or off?

• On

• Off

• On, thinking about turning them off.

• Off, thinking about turning them on again.

Results are only viewable after voting.
    Reaction score
    Yeah so I am wondering, if I build stuff for the CC and for factions, how many people have them activated?

I personally have them turned off, as I am able to place my logic in structured patterns that don't need pipes anyway. I often place blocks next to my logic for indentifying purposes, and in rare cases displays. My labeling scheme is made so I know in one year how stuff works.

How are you guys doing it? Do you really reroute the logic beams throughout your station? I am way too lazy for this and I was like: Hell this is the future, ofcourse we technology here, and each room is wired up. Why do we need extra big pipes for a full networked station?

Or maybe I turn them on for immersion? So it feels like: hey in this tunnel are all my logic wires connecting different systems.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I leave them on for engineering reasons (so I can see what I have hooked up to what), but I do admit to having fun with buttons to keep the logic pipes out of corridors and rooms. I toyed with the notion of turning them off, but I saw an absolutely brilliant station blueprint that used logic pipes as part of its look, like spokes on a wheel. After that, I left logic pipes on; I look at it as more of a challenge to design aesthetics rather than a nuisance.

Reaction score
    most people leave them on, and yeah to them your stuff will look like a mess if you just ignore them and design with them off.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    To be honest, I play StarMade these days just for the logic circuits and rails :P

I always have "show logic paths" ON.
    Cuz when you make stuff like this:

there really is no option...

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    7 to one is a pretty straightforward answer. Are there actually not more people who turned them off? :D

So if I guess right now, if I make a station for many people, it will be 4 out of 5 (and that's very positively rounded, one out of 10 seems reasonable) see the logic pipe mess. Meeeh.

Reaction score
    I'm the opposite. Many of my logic circuits are too dense and complex for me to see what I am doing with piping turned on. I guess if you are just doing basic auto-gravity or clocks, it is fine, but once you start getting into things like memory gates and recursion, or if you have a system that affects things in 8 different directions all across your ship, those pipes are just way too much. It's like the power stream had a thousand little babies and they are invading your whole ship.

Also, from a PvP perspective, small circuits are better because it means a smaller target. Having to space things out to be able to see those lines makes your logic systems more vulnerable. I suspect your survey is a bit skewed with most of the PvP crowd not around right now. Designing a logic system on a warship is very different than a home base or an RP ship because routing your logic is a good way to lose it. PvPers use logic for timing AI systems for creating firing patterns. If I added extra routing blocks and I lost just one of them, then you could take one of my turrets off of the circuit prohibiting me from resetting the pattern mid fight if it got out of sync.

Last edited:
    Reactions: JinM
    Reaction score
    I'm the opposite. Many of my logic circuits are too dense and complex for me (...)
    Exactly this is it man. I use logic heavily on some of my builds, and I just see things clearer without them. Then I allready design and lay out my logic blocks in a easy to recognise way. Some thighter but complex systems take longer to build if there are those pipes distracting the view all around.
    It's like the power stream had a thousand little babies and they are invading your whole ship.
    The hypocrisis of players. Many find the power stream ugly, but the logic pipes are okay then? Jajaja. I don't like the looks of these white pipes neither. Their are just not blocky enough for me. :)

Also, from a PvP perspective, small circuits are better because it means a smaller target. Having to space things out to be able to see those lines makes your logic systems more vulnerable. (...) because routing your logic is a good way to lose it. PvPers use logic for timing AI systems for creating firing patterns.
    Another very good point against those pipes, as they encourage to build in a way that makes your systems more vulnerable.
    If I added extra routing blocks and I lost just one of them, then you could take one of my turrets off of the circuit prohibiting me from resetting the pattern mid fight if it got out of sync.
    This is not just the thing for pvp, it is also the same problem in non-pvp builds. It's a basic concept, that the more connecting points you place in your system, the more likely it get's to make mistakes. And routing a mass of logic pipes around your station does exactly this.

I mean I will maybe turn them on and reroute the logic, and use colored hull wedeges to route them around my station. Buuut. I think they should be turned off by default tbh, and people who really need, like Arcaner with his complex builds them should turn them on.

I mean I really don't know if I want to wrap my building style around this gamemechanic element of rerouting, just because of a visual graphics option... But it's no big deal. I just declare that any new faction member has to turn these pipes off. :)

Reaction score
    To be honest, I play StarMade these days just for the logic circuits and rails :P

I always have "show logic paths" ON.
    Cuz when you make stuff like this: ( Its about time )

there really is no option...
    I don't see how you even look at this without getting lost in the pasta of lines. I've built stuff at least this complex before, and this is the kind of build that makes me feel like having it on is no option, I guess it's all about how we learned to do it in the first place.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    I use logic heavily in my builds, I keep pipes on.

It's the default option, you should always assume the majority run default settings when releasing something.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Another very good point against those pipes, as they encourage to build in a way that makes your systems more vulnerable.
    I've never felt compelled to build a stretched out logic circuit to see the connections, but maybe it's just me. I've always kept my logic to as small a space as possible, so the only time I have to worry about the logic pipes is when hooking up my circuits to input buttons. I never turned the option off because it is a default, so I deal with rerouting them out of the way so new players or players who don't know you can turn them off won't see a mess.

Last edited:

Maramonster

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I tend to build for others to see, so I feel it's best to keep them on, that way, if my super simple logic system has pipes going through the hall, I'll catch them.

Reaction score
    I'm the opposite. Many of my logic circuits are too dense and complex for me to see what I am doing with piping turned on. I guess if you are just doing basic auto-gravity or clocks, it is fine, but once you start getting into things like memory gates and recursion, or if you have a system that affects things in 8 different directions all across your ship, those pipes are just way too much. It's like the power stream had a thousand little babies and they are invading your whole ship.

Also, from a PvP perspective, small circuits are better because it means a smaller target. Having to space things out to be able to see those lines makes your logic systems more vulnerable. I suspect your survey is a bit skewed with most of the PvP crowd not around right now. Designing a logic system on a warship is very different than a home base or an RP ship because routing your logic is a good way to lose it. PvPers use logic for timing AI systems for creating firing patterns. If I added extra routing blocks and I lost just one of them, then you could take one of my turrets off of the circuit prohibiting me from resetting the pattern mid fight if it got out of sync.

this would make sense if logic circuits didnt load in before blocks do, and logic didnt show up on invisible shit. if you pvp, leaving it turned on is just another edge.

Reaction score
    I've never felt compelled to build a stretched out logic circuit to see the connections, but maybe it's just me. I've always kept my logic to as small a space as possible, so the only time I have to worry about the logic pipes is when hooking up my circuits to input buttons. I never turned the option off because it is a default, so I deal with rerouting them out of the way so new players or players who don't know you can turn them off won't see a mess.
    Small is not always an option, for example, I am working on an event base right now where I have controllers that literally effect systems 1 km apart. Since that is a public base though, I may need to rethink some things now to make sure those lines are hidden since it will be in a very public place.

this would make sense if logic circuits didnt load in before blocks do, and logic didnt show up on invisible shit. if you pvp, leaving it turned on is just another edge.
    Good point, I should start floating some logic systems out in space to try to get people to aim for them :D Joking aside, I turn them off in PvP because looking at complex logic systems with lines on puts way more strain on your GPU than they should. Just looking at a logic heavy ship with those on can cause more lag than the entire ship it is in; so, unless you're flying low mass ships, the lag is not worth the tradeoff.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I don't understand, call it my ignorance, but what amount of logic is really necessary in a PVP ship? Maybe inner ship remotes and stuff but well, that's it. What's with all the logic heavy ships?

Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    • Thinking Positive
    How are you guys doing it? Do you really reroute the logic beams throughout your station?
    I keep them On, I wire stuff up very tidily, and use onboard-to-onboard wireless connections to avoid having to reroute pipes when large-distance connections would break the rectilinear grid, passing through RP-oriented interior spaces.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Briaireous
    Reaction score
    I don't understand, call it my ignorance, but what amount of logic is really necessary in a PVP ship? Maybe inner ship remotes and stuff but well, that's it. What's with all the logic heavy ships?
    Well, the number of applications have fallen off due to power 2.0 trying to kill practical logic, but uses include(d):

-Chaindrives: used for perma-jumping
    -Logic inhibitors: staged jump inhibitors create a continuous inhibitor signal which effectively doubles it's effectiveness.
    -Staged turret systems: By connecting your turrets to a logic system you can create firing patterns to do all sorts of things like fire ion ahead of block weapons, reduce power capacity requirements, etc.
    - These same systems also doubled for turning on/off fire-on-target turrets to prevent friendly fire.
    -Staged swarmers: staging swarmers is great for killing drone fleets and acting as distractors.
    -Logic guns: less accurate than traditional hull mounted weapon systems, but can be much more powerful through staging, and can also do unfocused fire in a way that staged turrets can't
    -Auto-defence systems for killing boarding astronauts.
    -Hanger logic for a recon shuttle and/or escape pod(s)
    -Laminar or wave shield activator (to reduce lag when not in use)
    -Raildocker doors: used to keep people from force docking you with boarding ships or tracker tags.
    -Detector Turrets: Fire-at-any turret used as a sensor system to activate certain kinds of systems such as jump inhibitors, or just to alert you of nearby enemies with something like a blinking light.

I'm sure I'm missing a few, but these are probably the most common.