Wheels and landing gear

• Thread starter Deleted member 392097
    • Start date
    D

Deleted member 392097

I think that there should be some sort of wheels. And even landing gear that can unfold out of your ship. Because as collision damage is used more in the game and becomes a default, we will need some sort of 'wheel' that can help us to land and move on land and space stations without getting damaged.

We also need to be able to make land vehicles of some sort which have power blocks connected to wheels which can then move around. This wouldn't have to be only for planets, you could have it so that your station or ship is patrolled by robots in this way.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think that there should be some sort of wheels. And even landing gear that can unfold out of your ship. Because as collision damage is used more in the game and becomes a default, we will need some sort of 'wheel' that can help us to land and move on land and space stations without getting damaged.

We also need to be able to make land vehicles of some sort which have power blocks connected to wheels which can then move around. This wouldn't have to be only for planets, you could have it so that your station or ship is patrolled by robots in this way.
    I'd love to see patrols of robots like you describe, and real rovers, etc

But the overall collision seem to be very bad handeled by the game. For example, the elevators like we used to see in videos are too much in terms of perfs to be an acceptable way. (If everybody had one in his base and used the server would handle it very bad)

I think that's why shema come up with the new rail system (by the way revisiting the turrets mechanics is greatly needed) to allow momentum without increasing the amount of lag too much. So what we can hope for close future is having "turrets on rail" patrolling (even on roofs/walls) and trains system for land travels (Huge difference with the minecraft rails: the whole "minecart" is a docked entity so you can build it like you want in theory)

Firstly, I agree we had no news (neither for christmas D'=) for the promised update so I can't say if it will be "forgotten" by the next update or delayed (like the previous focus I 've seen on the news)
    But I think it should do it for the most part, even if the shitty collision system will prevent us to have true exploration rovers like you describe for very long I think.

But if possible, yes, because it'll be awesome

Reaction score
    HerrColonel If we keep blabbing on about it he won't forget. I really hope we see it before Springtime.

Turrets on rails...so awesome. I would LOVE to see that. Oh you're dicking around my base? Say hello to mah lil' friend cock a roach!

I hope we get some news soon. Sad santa :'(
    Ho Ho No... :(

Reaction score
    This is my solution to the landing gears, it works well, but I know about collusion damage..
    Plex-landing gears for my miner! :) (and a walkway to the entrance)

Reactions: mgwerner
    D

Deleted member 392097

This is my solution to the landing gears, it works well, but I know about collusion damage..
    Plex-landing gears for my miner! :) (and a walkway to the entrance)
    Plex landing gear is good, but it would be much cooler instead of them just appearing there (even if it does that bit by bit using logic), for them to actually unfold, or have a panel slide back and allow landing gear of some kind to extend.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    We need some landing gear that it's much more resistant to collision damage than other blocks :s

Reaction score
    We need some landing gear that it's much more resistant to collision damage than other blocks :s
    No collision damage on planets/stations for this block, but same damage for ships and asteroids. Thus isn't used for ramming, nor used to stop ramming from happening.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think it shouldn't be totally immune to collision damage. But should be more resistant so You would be able to land with small shuttle with small mass on planet.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Personally, I think standard plex doors should be naturally rubber-like They would resist collision damage on itself and what it's hitting. Bumpers on some ships will become norm, as well as using them as the bottom of landing gear. It could also be used as an airbag type deal that would deploy on small ships as they bounce onto the surface (like the mars rover). It wouldn't make for ramming ships as the target ship would take as little damage as the ramming ship does.

Spikes however. I think a hardened variant that is slightly more susceptible to impact damage than plex doors, but does more damage to what it hits would be cool. They could have some particular weakness though such as being vulnerable to weapons fire while shielded?, or just being damned expensive. They could also weigh a lot more, considering they'd be extremely dense.

D

Deleted member 392097

Well when we have some sort of sliding doors and rails with push pull beams to open and close the doors. Then we will also be able to extend landing gear. We would then even be able to make doors slide open underneath the ship and have landing gear being able to extend out and then when fully out the doors would close to a degree and clamp on the landing gear so it could not move.

http://starmadedock.net/threads/sliding-doors.5045/

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    The plexlander is still technically in the game. its defunct of course but from what I've heard it was schemas original attempt at "magnetic" landing. it apparently didn't work however i have heard that schema is trying to find a docking blockless way for ships to dock to things.

with the news that docking will be revamped i hope we get a rotor like setting for turret docking blocks. that way actual foldable landing gear will be possible.