What to call "Tech Points"

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    So the new Power 2.0 proposal is out, and it seems that most like it. The only thing that people are complaining about is the arbitrarily named Tech Points. From my understanding this is because nobody can really figure out what to call them. So I propose this thread for people to offer suggestions of what we can call it.

For reference:
    1 TP/ 1 sec per chamber
    It seems that :schema:is trying to describe some kind of alternate form of energy, and not some kind of Auxiliary Slot.

So here are some suggestions, that I came up with off the top of my head:
    Quantum Ether
    Trans-Mater Flux
    Polaric Residue
    Anti-Proton Flow
    Dimensional Accelerant

Come on guys... lets come up with some good ones!

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    As I mentioned before, here are my ideas about it:
    - Transient Particles (TP, there you go, even the same abbreviation)
    - Energized Particles (EP)
    - Exotic Particles (XP - lol, since you mentioned tech trees)
    - Cubatomic Particles (CP - a blast from the past, anyone?)
    - Plasma
    - Electromagnetic Flux (EF)
    - Dark Matter (DM)
    - Antimatter (AM)
    - Residual Power (RP)
    - Quantum Current (QC)
    - Tachion Flux (TF - sounds like those big words they usually signed with a capital T for Techblabber in Star Trek scripts)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I understand that every ship core/entity has the same amount of 'tech points' no matter what the size of the reactor. Therefore it seems they are more related to the computer/ship cores ability to control the systems rather than the amount of power the systems generate or use. Therefore I propose they be related to processing power like:

PROCESSOR POINTS
    CPU POINTS or CYCLES

or some variation on processing power.

Reactions: winggar

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Core Control Channels, or Core Control Units. A lot of suggestions like "energy plasma" or "antiprotons" or "cubatoms" sounds cool, but doesn't make any sense... Why would you have a specific limit of those? Every ship only has one ship core, though, and it would make sense if that ship core's processor only had a certain control capacity.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    One thing to keep in mind is, StarMade parlance is very generic. Jump drives aren't "hyperdrives" or "subspace drives" or "zero-point-whatever". They're just that, "jump drives", because that's what they do. Generally speaking, the naming convention is to say what it actually does in the game, not some technobabble about what we're supposed to imagine it is. Thus, "antimatter" and "tachyons" are right out.

What I believe is worth looking into-

Something about "plex" or "cubatom". It's... not generic, exactly, but still better than something with a real-world meaning. "Cubatom pressure", anyone?

Or, we could go for the fully generic, something like "secondary power" or "boost points".

Reactions: NaStral

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Core Control Units abbreviated is CCU which is alright, I like that. But it might confuse new people and think they need to connect them to the core, so the word reactor should be in their as well.
    Primary Reactor Points? Core Reactor Points? Reactor Control Units?
    hmm, RCU's... it could work.

Reactions: Top 4ce and winggar

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I agree, but "Quantum"-something-or-other seems generic enough. I just want to stay away from points and chips and pips and scores and counters and spinners and things you find in games, in favor of things you find aboard spaceships... But I also want to stay away from names that don't make any sense for limited, discrete units that are presumably stored in the ship core.
    [doublepost=1495040039,1495040001][/doublepost]
    Core Control Units abbreviated is CCU which is alright, I like that. But it might confuse new people and think they need to connect them to the core, so the word reactor should be in their as well.
    Primary Reactor Points? Core Reactor Points? Reactor Control Units?
    hmm, RCU's... it could work.
    Sure... Not sure if the points come from reactors but I'd be willing to take it if the devs like it.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Exergy - "Exergy is the energy that is available to be used. After the system and surroundings reach equilibrium, the exergy is zero. Determining exergy was also the first goal of thermodynamics."

-Wikipedia

Reactions: jayman38

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Radiation and quantum-related names seem really fitting for some reason, likely because both act more out-of-the-box. So why not both?

-Quantum Radiant
    -Q-Rads
    -QRs

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Come to think of it, my "Core Channels" idea could be used to create a really cool revamped structure menu. Instead of the current categories, you would be given an actual diagram of the existing systems represented as boxes linked to the core, with information on each system's status inside the system's box. On the core's box itself, it could indicate how many open channels remain on your core. If a system - say, a cloaking device - took up multiple core channels, this would be visible as multiple connections from the core box to that one system box.

Reaction score
    I just started calling them the Specialization Points internally as I was watching the video :-p

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Let's not just slap together some sciency-sounding words please. I HATE when scifis just slap together some science-type words with no regard for their actual meaning. A quantum-tachyon-polarizer, or a subspace-plasma coil, just makes NO. GOD. DAMMED. SENSE. Why star trek? Why do you do this? Why is "weapons grade dolomite" a thing? Why would you EVER want to remove the baryons from your ship? WHY ARE TACHYONS THE CAUSE AND SOLUTION TO EVERY PROBLEM!

Rant over for now, something to do with computer processing power makes the most sense to me.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I said it on like Page 5 of that thread.

I like the word Nodes, so bleh:

-System Enhancement Nodes
    -Power Nodes
    -Reactor Nodes

Bleh.

Daeridanii

Detail Devil
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Auxiliary Systems Support?
    But that has a profane acronym...
    Auxiliary Systems Points?
    Now with extra snakes!
    Chamber Support Points?
    I actually kind of like this one.

Just some ideas.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Cubatoms... it'd be nice to rework some of the old stuff back into the game.

RIP Dr Plex :(