What is the Avg block count for ships

Reaction score
    As the thread name implies, what is the Avg or max block counts your server or personal playstyle do you limit yourself to?

My servers limit is currently 7million blocks but personally i stick to 1million max due to the games performance and the ships maneuverability

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Most of my ships are in the 30-50 K (blocks) region. My largest was around 150K. Built mostly on a build-friendly server. My reasons for not building bigger:
    -Takes too much time.
    -Don't want to lag players with toaster-comps.
    -Still learning good design. My learning curve improves if I make a bunch of smaller mistakes instead of one big one.

Reactions: Dire Venom

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    -Still learning good design. My learning curve improves if I make a bunch of smaller mistakes instead of one big one.
    Mostly that - funny way to say that.

Although you can use 2x2x2 cubes as you can use 1x1x1, I wish for adv build mode support for that (aligning pastes)
    Currently I use A mesh-like structure with doors to block wireframe vision on demand.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Smaller mistakes are also less disheartening and easier to recover from. Smaller projects are also easier to discard when you have to.

And having a ship yard with several ships under construction looks busy and productive. :P

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    My limits are determined by the sort of performance I'm looking for in what I want to build. A fighter is usually something incredibly small, for small fighters my docking space is limited to 13m wide and high and 21m long. Large fighters 27m wide and high and 33m long. Those are the only hard limits I really use, simply to standardize fighter and shuttle sizes so that I know they'll be compatible with docking bays on any ship. The avg block count for them then is probably like 800 for smaller craft and 6-7000 for larger ones.
    I've never really finished and fleshed out and pretty-fied anything bigger than 150m on any axis, so I guess that's another limit. Too long staring at the screen and coming up with nothing and I just give up. My bigger frigates reach about 18k blocks

(edit: oops, math error. My Canidae frigate reaches about 180k blocks.)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    See my ship classification thread and multiply the masses by ten to get typical block counts. Most people fly ships between 100K and 1 million blocks, with the average on the lower end of that scale. That is not necessarily what everyone is 'building' all the time, but that's what they fly, mostly.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Ship sizes vary massively from player to player and server to server. It's pointless to get an idea of the "average ship size" because there isn't a useful one for it.

Generally, though, I find the game is a lot more enjoyable when ships are smaller, 100k-500k blocks.

Reaction score
    I've built ships that range from 9 TBC (total block count) up to the 450,000 TBC of my current WIP. Personally, I get the most enjoyment out of building ships between 50,000 and 250,000 blocks. So by my classification system, I enjoy building Corvettes (4-8K mass), Frigates (10-15K mass), and Destroyer (20 to 25K mass) the most.

Enough space to have an interesting interior, explore some interesting design ideas, and play with some interesting detailing all at the same time.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Honestly I'd say there is no meaningful average in total, as there isn't even a meaningful agreement on what constitutes a small/medium/large ship. Whats gigantic on one server could be a glorified shuttlecraft on another.

Reactions: Bladeriker