What is a titan?

Reaction score
    Yes, I know that it is a big ship, but what I would like to know, (without starting another debate on ship classifications) is what sort of stats each of you personally considers to be a titan? And not just in terms of size, but stats as well. How much power cap? e/s? Shields? Thrust? Armor?
    Would especially love to hear from some folks with pvp faction experience (just vague numbers is great, no need to give away your best ships' secrets).

jontyfreack

Pipe-God-Emperor of starmade
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    a very big ship.

well I would say for me (I build for looks more than systems) any dimension more than 700m ish

Reaction score
    700m in dimension, or double the servers general size of ships.

40million shields at a minimum

15 million armor

And a weapon that can take out a large chuck of shields, preferably all the opponents shields (beam/beam/ion is my fav)

As for power cap, it has to suit the size. Personally i run 2mil + 9 powergen batteries for regen at 400m and i still have power problems. For capacity you want enough for 2 volleys of storage.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1458148662,1458147633][/DOUBLEPOST]Titans are pretty much the hammer of the fleet, build them to take a beating and be able to dish it out. Thrust doesnt matter as much as your so big you just take the hits, have turrets or swarmers for dealing with those that dodge your firing arc.

The idea/purpose of a titan is pretty much like a battleship in todays terms, in a fleet battle you pick the biggest target and smash it. Anti fighter is left to those that are smaller or for the drones

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Since Schine doesn't want to make any "official" ship classifications, its going to be different for every server, but IMO a titan is:

Roughly a kilometer long on it's longest axis.

Shielding in the tens of millions (30+ million bare minimum, I'd consider 50-100m to be a much better range).

Multiple docked reactors because otherwise it doesn't have enough power to move.

Hundreds of millions in battery capacity.

Likely going to have tens of millions of armor as well due just to how much surface area you have to cover (all of which would be in standard armor or better).

Dozens upon dozens of turrets.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    My titan definition for Starmade is purely size-based, so a titan can perform any role and be as weak or as strong as the builder wants:
    1. At least 1000 blocks in at least one dimension
    2. At least 1 million blocks (so excluding stick ships like jump-explorers, stick carriers, stealth sticks, etc.)

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Role wise, I consider a titan to be the backbone of a fleet. Its a tank. Its big, its slow, it has tremendous firepower, but alone its pretty vulnerable. Half of it's job is the pure "Holy crap, LOOK AT THAT THING!" intimidation factor, but it's main role should be to assist the fleet. Tons of point defense turrets, tons of covering fire, lots of stuff like EMP and ION turets draining away resources, etc, but most of the actual damage should be coming from the destroyers, cruisers, and fighters that accompany it.

A titan is generally going to be too big, slow, and clumsy to ever be able to bring it's fixed on-board weapon systems to bear on a target that isn't a station or another titan, simply because most ships are going to be smaller, faster, and more agile to the point the titan won't be able to physically turn and point at them long enough to fire anything.

Anything that *DOES* get in the crosshairs of a titan though should pretty much be toast in a single blast.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    A titan is a ship that everyone strives to have, but those who do have don't use. It's also the single largest ship per faction; if you have more than 1, it's not a "titan", it's just a "X class" imho.

Reactions: faiyde and Lecic

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    A titan is a ship that everyone strives to have, but those who do have don't use.
    ^This^

These days titans lag servers so badly (generally because of rail turret lag) that they're pretty unusable in combat...

Reaction score
    Well alright then, it sounds mostly like what I'm hearing is "Don't bother building one." I guess I'll stick to smaller ships then. Thanks for all the responses y'all.

Reaction score
    Well alright then, it sounds mostly like what I'm hearing is "Don't bother building one." I guess I'll stick to smaller ships then. Thanks for all the responses y'all.
    For use? Yeah, you're probably better off with several smaller ships, both for resource efficiency and not lagging the server to death.

For the fun of the build though bigger ships can be really rewarding.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well its like anything else, there are costs and tradeoffs to everything.

A titan as part of a well built fleet is going to make you damned near unstoppable. A titan as part of a poorly built fleet is still going to be a major threat. A titan on it's own is going to get blown to hell and back.

With fleet control in the game, one person can now actually build and control the support vessels for a titan. I would expect to see their use increase from here out. On the flip side, one person can now also more easily command a fleet of smaller ships that have historically been able to take down lone titans, making the use of a single titan much harder.

All in all, I'd say the balance is maintained, its just scaled everything up again. Only instead of ever increasingly large ships, its moved to an ever increasingly large number of medium to large ships.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    A titan on it's own is going to get blown to hell and back.
    Except for the highly illusive turret boat titan which is the premier design for killing lots of things no larger than 1/5 its mass.

Reaction score
    Something that is bigger by systems than 95-99% of factions' ships. Yes, all factions on the server. A doom star is definitely 99-100% of everyone.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    The centerpiece of a fleet. The culmination of days or even weeks of work. A moving, armored space station. The second and third generation of Greek deities?

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The centerpiece of a fleet. The culmination of days or even weeks of work.
    More like weeks or months of work. I don't think anybody is going to churn out an actual functioning Titan that isn't a shoebox in only a couple of days.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Yes, I know that it is a big ship, but what I would like to know, (without starting another debate on ship classifications) is what sort of stats each of you personally considers to be a titan? And not just in terms of size, but stats as well. How much power cap? e/s? Shields? Thrust? Armor?
    Would especially love to hear from some folks with pvp faction experience (just vague numbers is great, no need to give away your best ships' secrets).
    I see titan as the category applied to operational ships outlying the high end of the size/power curves. Freakishly big. Literally everything beyond what 99% of other operational ships are.

This assumes, of course, that they function. Ships too large to be used for any real application in-game are not Titans, they're Epic Fails.