What exactly IS a 'doom cube'

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Yea, I guess I'm one of few (if not the only) noob to have to ask this... :p

What are 'doom cubes'?!??!?!?!?!?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    basically, a giant cube of systems used to kill others as efficiently as possible.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I'd call that more an aberration than a doomcube to be honest (and I'm being polite).

That or the worst f*****g pile of *** d*mn crap this game has ever seen, that works too.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Its like a Cobblstone House in Minecraft ^^

Doomcubes are focused of destroying others.
    When you think about building a Ship you got 3 things you could build.
    A Ship as most effective as it could be (Doomcube)
    A Ship, that looks good (Real creativity)
    A Ship, that looks good and gots nice interior (for RP)

Why are Doomcubes so effective?
    Thats because the longer and wider the Ship is, its getting more and more unmovable.
    A Cube is the best way to prevent this negativ accelaration.
    You can fill your "Ship" with more Schields and weapons and other Ship Systems.
    But a Doomcube is uncreative as hell.
    Its just for destroying others. Its rather fair as it is sotial orCreativ in any form.
    Because of that, Doomcubes are the worst thing you could build.
    And because of that Cubes are not appereciated on the most servers.

Doomcubes: The most effectiv, and less Creativ or less Sotial.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    So a doom cube with wings, tubes and a bunch of RP icing would be OK? Does that then magically morph into a ship?

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    doom cubes are still are ships in a way just not pretty ships.
    The issue I've always had with this idea is that in space, what is pretty? Is the ISS pretty? No, it looks like a kid's lego session gone wrong but I'm sure a lot of thought went into building it.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    The issue I've always had with this idea is that in space, what is pretty? Is the ISS pretty? No, it looks like a kid's lego session gone wrong but I'm sure a lot of thought went into building it.
    a lot of time and thought might have went into making the systems but what about the hull.
    Most people uses a ton of time to make their ships look pretty and to work with the systems with that minimal space just to get blown up by a brick of systems that usually looks worse than a dirt house from MC

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    a lot of time and thought might have went into making the systems but what about the hull.
    Most people uses a ton of time to make their ships look pretty and to work with the systems with that minimal space just to get blown up by a brick of systems that usually looks worse than a dirt house from MC
    I get that but being blasted by a cube dipped in greeble feels much the same as being blasted by one without. I mean, many of the most lauded ships in the shipyard seem to be large rectangles that have had greeblelite sprinkled on them.*

*There is no issue with that, and I'm exaggerating to make a point

Last edited:

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I get that but being blasted by a cube dipped in greeble feels much the same as being blasted by one without. I mean, many of the most lauded ships in the shipyard seem to be large rectangles that have had greeblelite sprinkled on them.
    I can agree with that.
    But it does feel a bit better to get killed by a Cube that looks good rather than one thats just pure systems or one with one layer of flat hull.
    Indeed there are some ships that looks like rectangles but that is either because the design is like that, the builder is not good at shapes, or the builder just didnt care
    Though I must say there are some fantastic looking "cubes" out there, here are some pics of some more accepted cube ships

oh and thise one by pikayoda
    So cubes can be beautiful but doomcubes are usually not beautiful.
    We can therefore conclude that cubes are ships that are cube shaped like those in the spoiler, these ships can be pretty there as doom-cubes are ugly blocks usually made out of pure systems or systems with 1 single layer of plain hull.

Doom-cubes are not liked because there have been used no creativity to build the ship and the only time spent on the ship have gone into making it a cheap killing machine.

Reactions: Keptick

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    You forgot showing my Borg cube ^^

I never finished it, because its a Fu*** Cube ^^
    But im a big Startrek fan, and with that i really had to build that thing
    Soooooorrrryyyyyyyy!
    Your cube is a really good example of one of the beautiful cubes with interiors and that is a cube I would love to fight!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    You really wouldnt ^^
    This one shoots out to every direction and destroys Planets in one single shot.
    But like i sayd, ive never finished it.

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    You really wouldnt ^^
    This one shoots out to every direction and destroys Planets in one single shot.
    But like i sayd, ive never finished it.
    Sounds like my HODT :P
    You should try and find time to finish it, it already looks amazing in unfinished state.

Asvarduil

Builder of Very Small Ships
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    You forgot showing my Borg cube ^^

I never finished it, because its a Fu*** Cube ^^
    But im a big Startrek fan, and with that i really had to build that thing
    Aah, so this is what the guy in the Suggestions thread meant when he was talking about the Brett's Assholination Cuboid...

Resisting it sure looks futile.

Reaction score
    Yes ships with cubic dimensions have the most optimal turnrate on paper, but once you reach a certain size the turnrate stys the same anyways.
    The term doomcube isn't that appropriate.

When talking about doomcubes people actually refer to big, ugly, plain, blocky "ships" that are build be using the maximum dimensions of the advanced-build-mode.
    Like the ones Unnamed25 posted.

A huge ship with a ugly plain hull or naked chunks of system-blocks (shield-rechargers/power capacitors/etc. etc. etc.) build in a few minutes using symmetry and max dimensions in advanced build-mode can have equal combat stats as a ship with a fancy detailed armor and interesting shapes that took months to make and thats what people (understandibly) hate about it.

tl;dr: Its not about the cube shape, its about the effort put into it.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    Doom cubes are the most efficient ship design due to
    1. They maximize volume and minimize surface area. This means that doomcubes use fewer blocks per layer of armor.
    2. They maximize turn speed per mass due to smaller maximum dimensions.

Basically they're the only ships anyone should build, but they're ugly and even if they weren't, having one dominant ship shape is terrible in a game about building ships. How do we fix it? I don't know. The turn speed thing probably doesn't matter that much past a certain point, but if armor becomes more useful as most everyone (me included) wants then doom cubes will be buffed even more. I trust Schine had a plan, or at least a plan to make a plan. More surface area means more turret space, so that could be something.