What does everyone think?

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    So, I've been thinking a bit, and i'm wondering what y'all think it the most underused weapon/computer type in the game and why?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    One of the following:

Power Supply Beam: I'm not even sure if this really gets used at all, to be honest. Any ship that'll suck a lot of power will just slap on power regen/storage until they're good enough, or tweak their systems/tactics to stay in energy budget. And if they really need power from another ship, they'll add drain beams and have a second player in that computer to suck the target while the main pilot is killing it.

AstroTech Beam: It's useless, at least in its current form. It heals the first block it hits, but if you have more than one layer and got hit with a missile, that beam is not fixing the subsurface blocks because the surface layer's in the way. It's easier to go into build mode and right/left click the blocks back to full health, not to mention it'd work on damaged internals as well.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    AstroTechbeam.
    Not only it's not actively useful, but it's not efficient at all, althought it doesn't seem to use any energy at all.
    Only thing i'd use it for is to repair a ship's outer hull after a quick trip throught a sun...

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Fully agree with Tydeth.

I imagine power-supply be more useful, if you have a big planet, a small station and use it to supply your stations mega-shield or big guns with power.

To limit the value you lose by losing your station while not changing the total value of planet+station.

It may be useful if objects are able to make allied power-supply fire automatically and also allow a better usage of your docking-space with reactors.

But it needs a change in game mechanics to be that useful

Reactions: Elit3
    Reaction score
    Fully agree with Tydeth.

I imagine power-supply be more useful, if you have a big planet, a small station and use it to supply your stations mega-shield or big guns with power.

To limit the value you lose by losing your station while not changing the total value of planet+station.

It may be useful if objects are able to make allied power-supply fire automatically and also allow a better usage of your docking-space with reactors.

But it needs a change in game mechanics to be that useful
    I love the idea of a power generator base on a planet supplying power for large turrets in orbit. :)

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Missiles are put on ship quite often lately actually, sure not used a whole lot, but they are still on alot of ships lately (among Public chatters anyways)

Astro Tech would be the most useless, but Most useless weapon would go to Pulsars I think. Mainly used for toying around if anything

Reaction score
    Missiles are put on ship quite often lately actually, sure not used a whole lot, but they are still on alot of ships lately (among Public chatters anyways)

Astro Tech would be the most useless, but Most useless weapon would go to Pulsars I think. Mainly used for toying around if anything
    They're still pretty useless. Long recharge and low damage. (Although, they're good for targets without shields)

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    They're still pretty useless. Long recharge and low damage. (Although, they're good for targets without shields)
    I hear they are actually pretty good against shields, since they hit multiple blocks, their damage is sorta Multiplied I think? Its hard to tell because of the Hit damage indicator bug (Missiles don't actually do 1 damage, for those who didn't know) but they are quite powerful if done right

Reaction score
    No. I used a 2x 10x10x10 missile array and it damaged a 300,000 shield array by 1%

Reaction score
    they are not if you have good ones you bring down the shield and put an giant missle in his face and blow his
    *** **** down
    Why bother? a 2x 10x10x10 AMC gives much more DPS, and core drilling is the easiest way to bring a ship down.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Maybe, but I still consider Pulsars, which require you to get so close and only disable and push for like a second, to be more useless - 3-

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Worst thing about missiles is, that power, thrust and other stuff on sufficiently large ships is too redundant, thus not encouraging killing anything but the core with missiles.

• AMC array breaks into two parts? Now you got even more fire-power! (although for more e/dps because more weapons on a single computer since some update AFAIK)
    • Shields break? They just do 1 shield per block after a certain amount. No problem!
    • Hull breaks? It is pointless vs AMCs anyway!
    • Power line breaks? Now other power gens get the boni for 1mille regen.
    • Turret breaks? You used all your power anyway till now - NP again!
    • Thrusters break? Most ppls make 2+:1 thrust because each 10-thrust block on titans supports 99 other blocks. Maybe you can thank your enemy for lowering your power usage (so you exactly have sufficient thrust to keep flying at max speed to evade missiles.).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I hear they are actually pretty good against shields, since they hit multiple blocks, their damage is sorta Multiplied I think?
    Last time I tested it (in one of the .9something versions), each missile hitting shields only did its damage value to the shields, making them comically underpowered compared to AMCs. The only cases in which they were useful were against unshielded targets, and against poorly shielded fighters which your turrets were having trouble hitting (in which case you launched a ridiculous amount of fast KB missiles at once and hoped they actually went after the enemy).

Edit: Oh, and a third case, you could sneak up behind a reasonably well shielded ship while cloaked and fire several hundred dumbfire missiles at once, and provided you had enough missiles to take out the shields, the rest of the missiles would be overkill. Line your launchers up right and you could obliterate your target from stem to stern. It would probably be more efficient to use AMCs, but less amusing.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Like the guy above me said, with enough missiles, the enemy's shields become overwhelmed. I had one ship that could take out a 1mil shields heavy cruiser in one salvo. I think it was 360 1000 block launchers. Anything caught in the cloud when I launched would be vaporized.