Recognized by Council weapon's shot size and spreadings damage.

Reaction score
    Hi i'm strikyer :D

today i'm talking about weapons and their fire,
    like many people, attack with a huge ship to an other huge ship can be long and even boring because by doing that shoot small holes without seeing difference returns to us to question our arsenal's power.
    that's why I came to the idea of bigger shots according to their firepower.
    it would be enough to make a small menu with the option to choose from a larger caliber weapon based on this simple equation:

shot= Firepower / radius²

for example:
    shot:
    -radius:3
    -damage:150
    shot= 150/3²
    shot= 16,666... damage per bloc

with this we can make more explosive fights, dangerous and equally balanced!

thanks for reading this,
    Strikyer.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1448372967,1448370137][/DOUBLEPOST]sorry if the english is bad, i'm french

Reactions: Lukwan

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    This is actually surprisingly well thought out. Well done. The only downside I see is that many people will most likely choose to have the smallest possible radius, just so they get more concentrated damage, I'd rather deal 150 damage to a small area than apply 16.666 damage to a bigger one.

Reactions: QuantumAnomaly
    Reaction score
    yes but 150 damage are really anything, most of my ships deals ~250 000 damage for a cannon, if i combine it with a 5 radius it makes 10 000 damage for this 5x5 zone, it can make a really powerful cannon, don't you? with this system, we can ahinilate a normal ship (20x20) in a small amount of shots!
    when you are at 400m of a enemy ship, aim the core with a 1x1 radius cannon is need to be a chirurgical doctor... xD

Reactions: QuantumAnomaly

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    yes but 150 damage are really anything, mos of my ships deals ~250 000 damage fo a cannon, if i combine it with a 5 radius it makes 10 000 damage for this 5x5 zone, it can make a really powerful cannon, don't you? with this system, we can ahinilata a normal ship (20x20) in a small amount of shots!
    when you are at 400m of a enemy ship, aim the core with a 1x1 radius cannon is need to be a chirurgical doctor... xD
    Hmm... True, I suppose, it does make a lot of sense, and would mean that only massive cannons can increase their radius, or else the cannon will do virtually no damage, so that's good. It'll also work well with the recent HP update.

Yeah, sounds pretty good to me. I can't really think of any issues with it.
    I'm interested to see how other people see this suggestion.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I always thought that something like this would be great. Waffles always bugged me a little, and when I first started playing I thought that one thick beam weapon would work, and render, way better than a dozen thin beams. Same would go with missiles and cannon fire, making big missiles easier to shoot down, and large cannon balls that would actually punch through large ships rather than leaving a checkerboard pattern on the surface.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I think it also does a few things for rendering. Rendering one big beam or bullet is much easier than having to render 300 beams on screen, or a hailstorm of rapid cannon fire from a capital waffle gun.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I like your idea. I have wanted something like this for a while. Also, don't worry about your English. It's my language and I speak it badly too!

Reaction score
    This would work really well. It would give the feeling that you were actually doing damage with all of the small radius weapons(everything but nukes). Because currently cannons, fast firing missles, and beam weapons even on the thousand blocks scale only damage a few blocks, wasting most of their damge unless used against shields. Your 10000/10000cannon/pulse seige cannon wouldn't feel so much as pew........pewmore as a BOOM! Weapon. Salvage beams could be used in larger groups than 20 at a time(at that point they do one block per tick) and would do away with 500 by 500 by 20 salvage bricks eating planets in a second and crashing the server.

My only worry is that this would result in weapons with area of effect damages would be less useful because you can do that with other things. All weapons would have to start at one block, and for more power and damage reduction(per block, not overall) you could expand the radius. Missle/pulse weapons would start out with huge damage in one block to reach normal(still large) damage in its default 72 block explosion.

It would be really weird if you had the starting 5 salvigers and set the radius to like 1000 and slowly mined a planet. It would have to round down the damage if it was less than one or something to stop things like that. Giant mining platforms could still eat entir planets, but they would only use one laser, instead of the dreaded 10000 laser array you usually need.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    This would work really well. It would give the feeling that you were actually doing damage with all of the small radius weapons(everything but nukes). Because currently cannons, fast firing missles, and beam weapons even on the thousand blocks scale only damage a few blocks, wasting most of their damge unless used against shields. Your 10000/10000cannon/pulse seige cannon wouldn't feel so much as pew........pewmore as a BOOM! Weapon. Salvage beams could be used in larger groups than 20 at a time(at that point they do one block per tick) and would do away with 500 by 500 by 20 salvage bricks eating planets in a second and crashing the server.

My only worry is that this would result in weapons with area of effect damages would be less useful because you can do that with other things. All weapons would have to start at one block, and for more power and damage reduction(per block, not overall) you could expand the radius. Missle/pulse weapons would start out with huge damage in one block to reach normal(still large) damage in its default 72 block explosion.

It would be really weird if you had the starting 5 salvigers and set the radius to like 1000 and slowly mined a planet. It would have to round down the damage if it was less than one or something to stop things like that. Giant mining platforms could still eat entir planets, but they would only use one laser, instead of the dreaded 10000 laser array you usually need.
    I dont think you should be able to directly set the radius, rather, a shape is built from the weapon configuration of linked modules that are set as an output. This way, you could have a flat, wide beam, or a square bullet, or a star-shaped missile. With enough flare added to the shape, it wouldnt even have to actually BE three dimensional to LOOK like it was.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    There's the argument that it would be too performance intensive because the explosiom system uses a lot of ram. But seriously, I'm pretty sure that it would still be better than rendering a million projectiles at once and their different hits.

Honestly, I think that ram consumption really isn't an issue (unless your computer is 10 years old), and it'd probably decrease the load on the GPU (and the CPU) as well.