Weapon Range Controller

Reaction score
    I have had some fun with Ship building and turret creation. I have enjoyed the way the current weapons interact with each-other when slaved together.

I would like to see a weapon range module added to extend weapon range on different weapon systems. at a cost of power/cool down.

While I do enjoy having a cut laser (Beam/Cannon) the 1K range does limit it to extreme point defense or internal ship protection. In much of science fiction ships which have beam weapons use them as either the primary weapon system with Missiles/Torpedoes being secondary, or massive deck cannons with beams being point def. As for big deck cannons, right now I can use (Cannon/Beam) to get a 6K meter cannon which is not bad, or a 3k beam (Beam/Beam) also not bad, but not a true cutting beam. If the range controller did little more than double range to a set maximum limit which could be set in admin controls, that would be a plus.

Of course if there is an admin command or value that can be change to do this now I would love to find out where it is.

And yes 9.6k meter range missiles are a bit much as most of the time a player cannot even view that far, though with the introduction of a long range sensor that allowed for a filter to be used may make these a better option.

Just my thoughts.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think beam systems should have a special exception for use as an effect system for beams, to give longer range without adding to the damage value, at the cost of more power. I think the added power-cost alone would be an adequate balancing factor for the extended range.
    Beams wouldn't work as an effect for cannons, missiles, or pulse.

So you could finally have a steady long-range cutting beam. Maybe to keep it from being an infinite beam, force the beam to stop after a maximum of 20 seconds of firing time (still epic!) and give it a mandatory 5-second-plus cool-down.

This would give you excellent control over extending beam range with a counterbalance of power requirement and a lack of additional effect (E.g. EMP, piercing, or explosive).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    At the moment you can extend all weapon ranges by changing the servers sector size. Doubling the sector size will double all weapon ranges. All weapon ranges are set as a multiple of sector size. This also applies to a lot of support weapons/salvaging. Just I don't remember their range multipliers.

Beams 0.5x sector
    Cannons 1.0x sector
    Beam/Beam 1.5x sector (was 1.0x in earlier versions)
    Missiles 1.6x sector
    Cannon/beam 2.0x sector
    Missile/beam 4.8x sector (was 3.2x in earlier versions)

Otherwise I Imagine there should something editable in the config somewhere for beam ranges.