Warp

What would you think?

• meh

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    I dont know if someone wants this but who thinks it would be a great idea to add a warp drive. A module that instead of charging, it drains energy its online and when its on the ship is on warp. so we can go galaxy to galaxy if we have enough power. that would be great.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I believe the devs already have ideas for some kind of warp drive separate from existing jump drives for capital ships, but I don't recall much information being available on this.

PLIX

Thats XCOM baby!
    Reaction score
    maybe not exactly a warp drive but a pimped out overdrive that makes you go fast but drains lots of power and allows you to go bit faster than with the jump drive cause you can charge jump drives while docked to a station and inherit the power from it

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I believe the devs already have ideas for some kind of warp drive separate from existing jump drives for capital ships, but I don't recall much information being available on this.
    I was going to add much the same thing. Capital ships are planned to use a separate travel method than regular ships - warp drives. If I recall correctly, their plan was that capital ships are really going to be more like "mobile stations" in that they cannot move with thrusters or jump drives, but instead can warp from one sector to another. From that kind of description, it sounds like it wouldn't be much different than "admin warp," except that range limits will be imposed.

This isn't the kind of warp that the OP is describing, obviously.

Personally, I use Overdrive as warp. You have to engage it, and it allows you to go faster than normal server limits.
    [doublepost=1481924729,1481924638][/doublepost]
    maybe not exactly a warp drive but a pimped out overdrive that makes you go fast but drains lots of power and allows you to go bit faster than with the jump drive cause you can charge jump drives while docked to a station and inherit the power from it
    It would be hard to go faster than a jump drive. That's nearly instantaneous, with any delay likely due to loading the system sector you arrive in.

PLIX

Thats XCOM baby!
    Reaction score
    the thing is you have to charge upthe jump drive but with a warp drive you go without recharging pretty much just go really fast in a straight line without the ability to turn and use power over time

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    the thing is you have to charge upthe jump drive but with a warp drive you go without recharging pretty much just go really fast in a straight line without the ability to turn and use power over time
    I suspect that the reason they went with jump drives, rather than boosting ship speed, is to govern server load better. If you're traveling through each sector in your path, and doing so very quickly, you are creating a lot of work for the server. A public server, trying to track that for multiple players will quickly start to struggle with the lag produced. The jump drive only needs to determine which sector you will arrive at and load that one sector.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I suspect that the reason they went with jump drives, rather than boosting ship speed, is to govern server load better. If you're traveling through each sector in your path, and doing so very quickly, you are creating a lot of work for the server. A public server, trying to track that for multiple players will quickly start to struggle with the lag produced. The jump drive only needs to determine which sector you will arrive at and load that one sector.

So the FTL stuff will probably happen once optimization improves?

Reaction score
    So the FTL stuff will probably happen once optimization improves?
    thats exactly why they did it lol. But they could easily do it by just Slow teleporting you around.... Move the player and entity into a skybox (like the jumps tunnel effect (Which is really just a loading screen)) and then just track which sector they would be "moving" through, so that if the ship runs out of power or is interdicted (assuming they add interdiction) The ships just pops out into the correct sector like jumping in.

Itd be easier to "tow" ships in this method too by having the warp engine open a window that last for a certain time, a span of 30 seconds give or take and any entity that enters is just put in the same moving instance. Easy peasy, (I say with no idea of coding, but it seems like it would be pretty simple to have a static skybox instance with a tracker predicting where theyd be moving through) and then have each entities mass calculate into the power drain.

The only problem i forsee with this would the lag on reentry.... though its pretty much identical to the jump mechanic, just with longer range and spaced out. Im pretty sure they could even just twean the jump drive coding.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I really want multiple options for space travel. Warp, impulse, jump, and trans dimensional. I would love it if there was a "starmade neither" that you could go into, your ship would be out of this dimension, and they for every meter you move there, you move 100-1000 meters in real space.

the trick is to make the transdimensional stuff dangerous. like very risky.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Has anyone else noticed that, every few weeks it seems, someone with a star trek ship for their avatar shows up and makes a suggestion to make the game more like star trek? I mean, this isn't a totally terrible idea, but it's an interesting phenomenon.

I mean, I don't recall anyone with a star destroyer profile pic showing up and asking for compound-beam weapons or drives that shift you into hyperspace.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Has anyone else noticed that, every few weeks it seems, someone with a star trek ship for their avatar shows up and makes a suggestion to make the game more like star trek? I mean, this isn't a totally terrible idea, but it's an interesting phenomenon.

I mean, I don't recall anyone with a star destroyer profile pic showing up and asking for compound-beam weapons or drives that shift you into hyperspace.
    what about me? i keep asking for the 40k warp. We would call it the starmade nether and it awesome.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    I think this line from server.cfg is for the not-yet-built warp drive.

PHYSICS_SHAPE_CASTING_TUNNELING_PREVENTION = false //Makes a convex cast for hight speed object to prevent clipping. High Cost. (Bugged right now, so dont turn it on)