1. 15th of October, 2019: SMD is currently under maintenance, the site may go down while we are working on it. Apologies for the inconvenience.
    2. We've removed some functionality from SMD in preparation for a migration to new forum software.

Voting has commenced!

Discussion in 'Council News' started by DukeofRealms, Apr 19, 2015.

1. DukeofRealms

DukeofRealms Count Duku

[​IMG]
      Greetings Citizens,

Voting for the Council of Intergalactic Representatives has now begun. There will be 7 seats for the council, we are using Single Transferable Vote with Droop quota to determine who will fill these seats.

You can vote at our council site here: http://council.star-made.org/

The ballot will close on April 25th 23:59:59 UTC

Individual votes will not be made public. The ballot system has been built as a closed automated system, as such not even Schine will find out the results until the closing of the ballot. Results will be released shortly after the vote has closed.

A great explanation of Single Transferable Vote

The Droop quota is the threshold calculation needed for a candidate to achieve a seat in the council.

It is calculated by this formula:
      (No. of Valid Votes/(Total Seats + 1)) + 1 = No. of votes needed for threshold

Valid Vote = A vote which had all 5 preferences filled
      Total Seats = 7, the total number of councillors

For example, if 123 people voted, and only 120 of those had valid votes, then the calculation would go as follows:

((120/(7+1)) +1 = 16 votes

So a councillor would have to get a minimum of 16 votes to reach the threshold and therefore get a seat in the council.

Rounding for decimals (in the threshold calculation) is done as follows:

All figures are rounded down, the decimal is discarded and only the whole number is left. For example, 15.9 would become 15.

NB: The only rounding done is on the quota calculation.

Thanks must go to Bench for styling the website and kramerc for developing it!

- SM Team

• Like Like x 10
    2. Comr4de

Whoo! Good luck everyone!

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
    3. Pholopalus

Pholopalus あなたは笑う、あなたは失う

I really enjoyed the voting page.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Crimson-Artist

Crimson-Artist Wiki Administrator

A bit late but Let the Voting Commence!!!

5. Azurite

Good luck gents!

6. Criss

Criss Social Media Director

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. Ret0rus

hi @all :D

i have vote my canidates but always the message: ,,This preference conflicts with another candidate,, blockade my submit.
      :eek: what can i do to fix this?

8. Master_Artificer

Master_Artificer Press F to pay respects

Darn, and you had answered all my questions too...
      Guess it's your lucky day Keptick

• Like Like x 1
    9. Megacrafter127

Each candidate has a number for the preference. These numbers may not be the same for 2 candidates.

10. Ret0rus

hi! :) thanks for you help - it works! :D

11. SmilingDemon

Great ... you have to vote for 5 people ... only doing 2 or 3 isnt working :/

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. yelby

Guess I'm making another video after church.

13. Visitor

A thing worth consideration for future voting and one I am sure was already suggested at least once on other occasion by someone else - make sure that the applications/applicant nicknames on the voting page have links to profiles and (preferably extended) post history.

Since I am well aware that some users behave quite differently than how they see/describe themselves in their applications and I want to actually see their past history and interaction with others on the forum - already quite a bothersome task, but necessary if I want my votes to be actually thought-out rather than some fanboy's/'that-guy-looks-okay-i'll-vote' crap - I am now quite screwed, since I have to manually look for every user before I can even check their posts. It's life-draining.

Another good point raised above - what if I (hypothetically speaking now) don't find many applicants worth my vote? Should I be forced to cast reamining, leftover votes I have after my choice at random then? Being able to not use all one's votes or give several to crtain users would be far better than the current system.

#13 Visitor, Apr 19, 2015
      Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    14. SkylordLuke

oooh snap!
      good luck people! :D

15. gravypod

You choose 5 candidates. You rank them from 1 to 5. The person with the most "1"s wins. This way, if your first choice doesn't get elected one of your other selections should.
      --- Updated post (merge), Apr 19, 2015, Original Post Date: Apr 19, 2015 ---
      Therein lies the main problem with this voting system. This is unavoidable.

You could do a standard most-votes election, but that would be hard because of the amount of candidates. If you want more information about how this happens, look up the events that lead up to Hitler's election.

16. SmilingDemon

gravypod the point is that i may not want to vote for more than 3 ... and not randomly support two who i may not want to see in the council at all.

17. gravypod

Read my comment again, I updated it with why this is happening.
      --- Updated post (merge), Apr 19, 2015, Original Post Date: Apr 19, 2015 ---
      Had it been discussed in the public's eye, I would have said to do a SNTV where the top N candidate would be chosen. It would have been much simple and represented a better portion of the community.

It is also how most of the western world does its elections, so it is how we are naturally acclimated to think.

Too bad, most of this confusion could have been avoided. :/

#17 gravypod, Apr 19, 2015
      Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    18. Markon

I think system is well organised, all things considered. Yeah it's not perfect but hey, if you have a vote remaining, just check out other people's apps and see 'hey I can work with him. Yeah I don't know him. Yeah he's not done anything for me but I can work with him'. That lets you choose out of more people to vote for.
      Good luck for all contestants!

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Criss

Criss Social Media Director

Yeah I don't see how only three people could make a significant impact when the purpose is getting in touch with as many people as possible, while also keeping it manageable. 7 seems like a good number.

20. Megacrafter127

In many STV systems, if a voter does not use all slots on his ranking, and all of his previous selections are ruled out because of the lack of votes, only THEN their vote is eleminated form the election altogether. But I guess the array-size is fixed here. :confused: