VoidFlare Gaming (VFG) Mod to Starmade

Reaction score
    From the conversation in a new server build that is a current work in progress.

Changes to the balance of weapons, defensives, and utility blocks in Starmade. This is an ongoing process. Current road map for this looks something like this:
    1. Balance Base weapons (Normalize the base weapons to something meaningful)
    2. Balance slaves (Create a broader variation with slaves)
    3. Balance Armor types (Reduce number of meaningless variations)
    4. Balance Shielding (Meet new weapons numbers)
    5. Balance Thrusters and Overdrive
    6. Balance power regen/capacity
    7. Balance items like Cloak, Jammer, Jump drives,
    8. Balance Offensive Effects
    9. Balance Defensive Effects
    10. Revisit any outlying, outstanding or obvious issues
    Currently Step 2 has been reached. This is an iterative process (Look that up if you're not familiar).

Objective:
    To encourage diversity in builds for with offensive, defensive and utilitarian uses.

Specifics:
    -Spread weapons out with more unique build options.
    -Encourage a shield versus armor dynamic
    -Create a give/take relationship with every item and device
    -Attempt to counterbalance the AOE Missile issue in current combat
    -Use balance to create a pocket role for smaller ships
    -Avoid if possible the nerf hammer on current ship builds
    -Try to make combat more fun!!!

Scope:
    Blocks that have an effect in combat. Will not cover logic, AI, or other decorative blocks with the exception of hitpoint balancing.

Deliverables:
    Rebalanced Weapon sets
    Rebalanced Armor and HP sets
    Rebalanced Utility items (thrusters, salvage, cloak, scanner, jammer)
    Rebalanced Effects
    Rebalanced Shielding
    Rebalanced Energy Systems to match changes.

Process:
    The process for balance will be two fold. First an effect on the WHAT needs to be done. This means that WHAT kind of damage, what effect, what cost, what negatives and what positives for an item needs to be done. This is the most controllable aspect of the game since WHAT something does is entirely separate from the next part for player use.

The second part will be the HOW of items. This is more complex since it has to account for HOW a player uses the effect. So if an items WHAT is out of balance due to the HOW it is used then the HOW will cause a rebalance on the WHAT. Consider this more theory crafting and application, and less numbers in this phase. Typically the balancing will be done by Binary algorithm. (Form of Binary Search used for balancing something).

First focus will be the WHAT of the items. What they do is the core of the issue, which means damage sources first have to be handled as the base of the WHAT. Then Secondaries on weapons since they act as multipliers on the base weapons. Then Armor to absorb any changes in damage. Finally Shielding will be handled.

Next is the HOW of the items. This leads to utility items such as Thrusters, energy sources, and effects.

Current work:
    Some screenshots of these crazy excel files I am working on. Please don't criticize the names I put on weapons. I am not a writer, I am an engineer. I am great with numbers, I defer to others for naming things and so on. They are just placeholders to help me remember what the 'theme' of something is.

Base Weapons:
    upload_2015-6-10_1-23-58.png

Slave Effects:
    upload_2015-6-10_1-25-42.png

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    "Bursty Laser Chainsaw"

Jokes aside will this include new blocks???

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    "Bursty Laser Chainsaw"

Jokes aside will this include new blocks???

I do not think we will be adding any new blocks. At least not in the near future, we are just tryin to get the server ready for release to the public.

Reaction score
    I will leave new blocks to the Devs, when they bring them in I will work them into the plan. For now I will keep the scope of what I am working on manageable.

Granted the feedback I generally get isn't helpful. Changing block configs seems like violating a religion in Starmade. FullMetalFox has been very helpful though.