Unknown Computer shutdown while playing StarMade

Reaction score
    In general, what is happening is that I open up the game and start playing on my creative singleplayer world. The game runs fine for about 15 to 30 minutes, then my computer suddenly turns off. My game ran perfectly fine the day before, and I didn't make any major changes to the game settings or major updates to my PC. I can still play many other games on my PC and this problem only occurs when I play StarMade.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    In general, what is happening is that I open up the game and start playing on my creative singleplayer world. The game runs fine for about 15 to 30 minutes, then my computer suddenly turns off. My game ran perfectly fine the day before, and I didn't make any major changes to the game settings or major updates to my PC. I can still play many other games on my PC and this problem only occurs when I play StarMade.
    What are your PC specs?

Do you use Hardware Monitor or a similar program to keep an eye on you system temperature? I once had a CPU that would overheat and lockup my PC; especially when playing StarMade. Adding a large cooling fan got rid of the problem by cutting the temperature in half.

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    What are your PC specs?

Do you use Hardware Monitor or a similar program to keep an eye on you system temperature? I once had a CPU that would overheat and lockup my PC; especially when playing StarMade. Adding a large cooling fan got rid of the problem by cutting the temperature in half.
    was gonna say. the only time ive had this was with an overheating laptop. oddly the fan eventually broke completely, the laptop stopped shutting down and games ran far better than they did before.
    i still have it actually. might enliven it with some linux.

anyways, to the OP, this does sound like a potential heat issue or other hardware issue.

Reaction score
    Follow up. I discovered that my PC is overheating. I don't understand how, but somehow StarMade was the game that heated my PC enough to activate the automatic shutdown.

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    Follow up. I discovered that my PC is overheating. I don't understand how, but somehow StarMade was the game that heated my PC enough to activate the automatic shutdown.
    could be fans, could be the power supply or god knows what.
    glad you have a lead to follow now though. please do shout if you need more help - im no tech magician, but some people on here are and can probably advise you some. :)

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    My occupation is actually desktop support so I may be able to help you.

As for the fix for my issue, I replaced the cheap fan/heatsink that came with my I7 CPU with an older version of this...

upload_2018-12-22_10-21-47.jpeg
    https://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Computer-Prevention-Heatsink-CNPS9500AT/dp/B000HKDA0U/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1545492257&sr=1-2&refinements=p_89:Zalman

If you're running a laptop, those rubber feet on the bottom of it are to allow air through the machine. Sometimes they pop off so you need to leave extra room for proper cooling.

Try elevating the unit a few inches off of your play surface. A milk crate actually works well for this.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    if i do see it right (from your Dicord answers to Captain Skwidz) you are using a 4 year old Notebook.
    that in itself shouldnt be a problem (aside from, yes Starmade utilises the CPU a lot) but the age suggests that depending on the way it was used that the CPU cooler fins might be blocked by dirt (i had that problem myself on an sattelite notebook)
    you can try to place something under the back side of the notebook to lift it from the surface to make it take in more cool air,
    or you do find some one able to disassemble it for cleaning the cooler system.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    If SmilingDemon is correct, a can or two of compressed air could help get rid of dust if you can't disassemble the unit. Spray the vents on bottom and the sides of the laptop. Be sure to keep the can upright so you don't get any of that mist into the computer.