Who wants this?

• Yes

• Maybe

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tsnonak

Let's Kautsch!
    Reaction score
    I am unsure if anyone else will do this, so I will...
    This is the second suggestion I am making and personally I believe it will be the best suggestion the Dock has ever seen, get this... #5X

Port it, complete it, fix it, balance it and don't change anything!

StarMade already has everything to make it a great game...
    It would actually be very similar to the Yogswarm days... just upgraded!
    It was cool then, but StarMade looks way better now!

Add the missing block Shapes etc..
    Expand the config options for Servers.
    Refine and optimize bobby, fleet, and NPC AIs.
    Create a window for LUA Scripts that lets players choose one for their crew, (and maybe (limited)effects), give them purpose.
    So what if sektor changes are a little clunky, it wouldn't be nearly as bad if sektors were default 10km and not happening 10x a minute.
    Maybe shrink the Universe a little, no server needs that many galaxies anyway, and with a working Rules system Admins can set limits, zones and much more. The community makes a ton of awesome content... use it.

What I am getting at is that everyone would be happy if it just worked the way it is, young and old.
    I am sure the answers to all the problems are already there and just need to be found.

The two biggest problems I see here, in case nobody else has noticed...

1.The classic Game Scope Pitfall that has killed so many other games with great potential.
    2.The Community pushing for more of everything... to infinity and beyond... yaar!

I would like to end this with a small reality check.
    Back in the day...
    There was no Steam early access.
    There was no community pushing the Devs.
    Good games took a long time, and we got a finished product.
    Nowadays games take even longer because they're so omfg-hugesupermega(buggy)stuff that never really gets done anyway.
    What we have here is a failure to communicate, it is a sign of the times.

The List of broken and incomplete stuff...
    Reserved for later, maybe.

See you in Space
    TSN

Last edited:

OfficialCoding

Professional Quickfire Hater
    Reaction score
    This is really good. I like it. I think that schema should finish the universe update and fix stuff like sectors and give us the updated planets and stuff, but for the most part i agree with you :)

Reactions: Tsnonak
    Reaction score
    Correct me if I am wrong, but it almost seems as if you are describing about half of what the universe update is trying to accomplish, minus a few larger things like sector transitions, region resource generation, and population while retaining other things such as better NPC, fleets, and bugfixes.

Not that I am against the idea so much as it makes me wonder if this were to be done, how much would it really reduce the time for release?

On the whole, it would be a good idea for several reasons, including a financial for Schema where they could market a complete, bug-free game, and use the rest of the update of regions, etc., as an expansion pack (elite dangerous and horizons come to mind)

I wonder if maybe schema would do it that way, because the ONE theme i remember reading for years is still consistant above all others, "please fix the bugs".

Tsnonak

Let's Kautsch!
    Reaction score
    I`ll have to admit, I am not really much into TLDR-posts, so I'll do my best to keep it short...

it will essentially be a different game.

* RTS stuff will be improved, but will not go too overboard.
    The main game mechanics of the universe update itself will go more in the direction of grand strategy, but also requiring personal involvment at points.

This would all be done with a new resource: "population".
    An AI system would visualize them (spawning people walking around in those areas).

This will be all in the universe update, it is in fact the very core of it.
    I'm leaning towards resets...
    Maybe I'm the one reading this wrong, but...

RTS?
    "visualize them"?
    "it is the very core of it"
    "it will be a different game"
    "personal involvment at points"?

I don't recall StarMade being an RTS.

This sums it up best...
    All those things were planned, and a lot of it still is, but it's just very hard to get cohesion on it.
    So basically a whole lot of new game changing RTS stuff, which will also need to be fixed, balanced and...
    This makes me curious, what is the price, what is being abandoned now?

DLCs, sure, whynot, everybody else is doing it, well, not everybody.
    DLC MODpacks... It could be an interesting possible!

Yes, you got it!
    The single most consistent persistant is: "just please fix it".
    Thats all folks!

After all that has happened here, can any of you even still imagine how good it would be if everything just worked?

Last edited:
    Reactions: Malum Phasma

Tsnonak

Let's Kautsch!
    Reaction score
    This is really good. I like it. I think that schema should finish the universe update and fix stuff like sectors and give us the updated planets and stuff, but for the most part i agree with you :)
    To me this reads like a double negative, or positive, I'm not sure, anyway, either way...
    It sounds like you should have voted yes then, because all the RTS stuff : "is the core of the update".

Maybe, maybe should not have been an option... I goofed.
    whoever votes maybe is a rotten egg!

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Hard disagree, my guy. Let the devs do as they will. We have no reason to believe Starmade won't be finished. If Schema has been going at this at about the same pace for what is literally almost a decade, why push him to release a neutered facsimile of his vision?

We're talking about art here, my dudes. Let the man art and if you don't like how he arts, go consume some different art.

Tsnonak

Let's Kautsch!
    Reaction score
    Hard disagree, my guy. Let the devs do as they will. We have no reason to believe Starmade won't be finished. If Schema has been going at this at about the same pace for what is literally almost a decade, why push him to release a neutered facsimile of his vision?

We're talking about art here, my dudes. Let the man art and if you don't like how he arts, go consume some different art.
    Just for clarification purposes:

This is just a Suggestion, in the suggestion thread, nobody is pushing anybody to do anything, please do not get all emotional.

I have not made any claims that StarMade will not be finished.

If I am impeding on Schema's vision, then I apologize, as that is not the intention of this suggestion.

I am not a consumer, I am just a server Admin that enjoys the kreativ aspects of StarMade, I do not even really play.

To be honest, I find your post rather manipulative and deragatory.

Thank you for your comment and time.

Oh forgot to clarify my perspective in all this:
    I think, Starmade in its current state is a good indicator of Schema's original vision, albeit modified a little with attempts to please the community and upgrades. If StarMade turns into a "neutered facsimile" of Schema's original vision because of this community, I am happy to inform you that I will also be resigning my position, and you'll never have to read another stupid post from me again.
    You will not be the only one glad to see me go.

Last edited:

Tsnonak

Let's Kautsch!
    Reaction score
    Yes I am fully aware, this suggestion post is likely to be 99.96% completely pointless, but I'm just kinda like that, relax folks, it's all good...
    Not much happening here anyway, and, well, so jff ...

Correct me if I am wrong, but it almost seems as if you are describing about half of what the universe update is trying to accomplish, minus a few larger things like sector transitions, region resource generation, and population while retaining other things such as better NPC, fleets, and bugfixes.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I dont see anything I suggested being part of the Universe Update.
    I was under the impression it involves porting and revamping the game into a flat finite RTS.

We're talking about art here, my dudes. Let the man art
    Who do you think you are you kidding, my guy?
    The original Vision was crushed when this community started bitching, moaning, groaning and telling the man how to make his game.

In the end, it's all good, I'm fine with Schines descisions, it is their game after all.
    I really like the Hope Station concept.

One more thing...
    Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to make it sound bad, in fact I believe Schine will make StarMade a very good RTS, it will just be very different.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Being a post, it may be hard to understand the emotion behind whats written. So just in case, and to be clear, I have not nor have I ever been upset by any post made on this forum to date. So I am neither upset or even trying to be argumentative or negative. I am just discussing.

I am on mobile, so i dont know how to properly quote appropriate posts at the moment, so my apoligies.

The roadmap to the universe update was stated that AI and graphics (through transferral of key code sections to C++) would be improved and thus, infers bug fixes in those areas.

My reading of the various posts by schine seems to point at phase#3 as making it the view you are describing.

https://starmadedock.net/threads/small-status-update.31330/

Illustrates partly where I get my info. As well as the roadmap itself.

https://starmadedock.net/threads/discuss-with-the-devs-july-18-2019-sis-shortform.31343/#post-377359

The above thread is where it becomes much more clear that the game is headed in a different direction, and is where i also posted my fear of a finite universe. (yea you can still travel where ever but regions as currently described make it pointless to do so.)

To shut up and get to the point, i voted "maybe" due to all the heavy unseen, interior work performed on Starmade the last year/year and a half. Would creating a bug-free starmade "2015" now take longer since all this has been done? Did we pass that point of no return to where if that were done, go back to old Starmade i mean, result in a beta in 2022 or later instead of possibly 2020 or 21?

As you see by my original post, I agree with most of what you said, maybe I misunderstood some of it, if so, apologies. But for me, I am ready for a stable, less buggy, less glitchy beta.

Tsnonak

Let's Kautsch!
    Reaction score
    I am on mobile, so i dont know how to properly quote appropriate posts at the moment, so my apoligies.

My reading of the various posts by schine seems to point at phase#3 as making it the view you are describing.
    No apologies necessary, it is refreshing to see polite posting instead of argumentative and negative.
    Yes I understand now, thank you for clearing me up on that, I was just going off the "Discuss with the Devs".
    We now know what phase 3 entails.

As far as I know, the Bug-fixing phase will come after the Update, I think Schema mentioned that in the Live Interview back in January.
    There is no mention of it elsewhere that I am aware of.

Well, since you and OC posted before I made the rotten egg rule...
    It doesn't apply to you two, fair is fair!

2015 was missing a lot of good stuff that makes it a great game as is today, but yeh, we may already be past that point.
    I made this thread to just throw it out there.

On a side Note, it may even make a Legacy server all the more interesting, if there is a way to patch it up with new snippets or scripts in the future.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Well, if bug fixing comes after the Universe update, and not a part of that update. Thats just gonna flat out suck.

I think in that case, it would be great to try to make a reasonably bug-free version of it as is, and then continue to the universe update. We can only dream my friend! :LOL: LOL

OfficialCoding

Reaction score
    Well, if bug fixing comes after the Universe update, and not a part of that update. Thats just gonna flat out suck.

I think in that case, it would be great to try to make a reasonably bug-free version of it as is, and then continue to the universe update. We can only dream my friend! :LOL: LOL
    yeah I think that Schema should focus on the universe update, then fix the bugs. That way he only has to bug fix once, instead of twice. Face it, the universe update is gonna be buggy so I think we should just get something we can play around with, then leave it in Dev until most of the bugs are fixed.

Reaction score
    While I completely understand the meaning and why of waiting until after the universe update for bug fixes, it seems that would mean waiting another year or two for a more stable game. Waiting the years I have so far is what weighs my opinion so heavily atm.

But OfficialCoding , we know that what you are saying is what is happening regardless. I was just throwing my two pennies out there.

Reactions: OfficialCoding

OfficialCoding

Reaction score
    While I completely understand the meaning and why of waiting until after the universe update for bug fixes, it seems that would mean waiting another year or two for a more stable game. Waiting the years I have so far is what weighs my opinion so heavily atm.

But OfficialCoding , we know that what you are saying is what is happening regardless. I was just throwing my two pennies out there.
    yeah we all want a stable game. Schema probably should have gotten another coder years ago. The game is probably far too complex to do that at this point so we'll just have to wait until he finishes.

Reactions: Malum Phasma