Universe transfered from old version - game now crashes on any inventory screen

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hi all,

I last played StarMade regularly back in 2013-2014. My old client & server version numbers are 0.1421 - date 20140404 - build(?) 194643.

Upon copying the server-database across and loading it in the new version - everything (well - the couple of ships of mine that are near me) appears to be updated/transfered to new system correctly. Planets are now the new-style (non-disc).

When I loaded into my universe again for the first time in the new version I got a message saying that my inventory was too large for the new system, and that a storage box had been placed (where?) with my stuff in it. I was standing on the bridge of my ship, so checked the closest storage box but the game crashes upon pressing R to open. It crashes when I attempt to open other storage boxes, and also my own inventory. I've tried disabling the inventory limit in the server.cfg, but to no avail - it still crashes.
    edit2: I've tried hosting the universe on a dedicated server, and other players can access their own inventories. When I access mine, my client crashes but the server does not. Client throws a NullPointerException.

Any help would be appreciated.

edit: Also - as the planets have been converted, what will have happened to any planetary bases that were built prior to the update; are they lost?

Thanks,

Knuckles

Last edited:

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Your inventory was moved into a single meta item, an item that is in your inventory itself.
    Should look like this:
    upload_2017-6-29_21-17-2.png

As for the other issue where you crash, could you save a blueprint of that ship with the storage blocks and upload it here (or PM it me if you don't want to share it publicly). Preferable also a screenshot which storage chest is crashing you when you open it.

Also upload your logstarmade.0.log located in your ./Starmade/logs folder after you've reproduced this crash. So just get the nullpointerException, leave the game and upload that file :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Thanks for the reply! Currently I see nothing in my inventory bar whatsoever. It's blank.

When I open my inventory (i.e. just press 'I' in space) or any storage chest the game will crash - it doesn't matter which ship it's on.

My .log is attached. I've also included my ENTITY_PLAYERCHARACTER and ENTITY_PLAYERSTATE files, in case they're useful. I have no idea where my player inventory is stored, but my player state from the old version is much larger and so is my guess. I can, of course, also upload pre-conversion or current server-databases - or anything else - if these are not enough.

Screenshot showing entirely blank inventory: http://puu.sh/wxBIc/ccf401e7ee.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    I apologize for the late response but I wasn't able to login on SMD but that seems to be fine again.

The issue you have is because your inventory has old recipes in it, which causes you to crash when you open the inventory. Reported here: ⚓ T1068 Old recipes in storages or inventory cause nullpointer
    It should be fixed for the next release (which is probably in a week or so) but you could also prevent this from happening yourself.

Basically, download an old version again and use the old world to load in and open up your inventory, that shouldn't crash you. Simply throw out all of the old recipes and make sure to auto save (type /force_save in chat as admin). This will make your playerstate will have no old recipes in it, and won't crash you when you use it in a newer version.

Either export that old world again to the a newer version with your changed playerstate in it, or copy & overwrite your playerstate of the newer version with the one that you just made sure has no old recipes in it. I'm not sure if just copy & overwriting that playerstate file will work but it should be a bit faster than converting the entire world again to the newer format.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Ah, wonderful!

Thank you very much. The 'bugs' header at the top of the page wasn't redirecting correctly the other day (or the site was down) so I didn't manage to check existing bug reports.

I don't expect copying over an updated version of the old playerstate file would behave properly on the newer version (vastly different filesizes hint at changed file structure and presumably game does not check to see if individual files are from an old version to start the conversion process, but rather looks in a specific place for version details), so I'll just let the server convert a new copy of the old universe (or wait for the patch to drop if I don't get round to it in time).

Thanks LANcake.