Unified power draw

Reaction score
    After experimenting with using auxiliary power to augment the stealth capabilities of ships (i.e. increasing the overall amount of other system blocks that can be stealthed by cloak/jam) it became increasingly obvious that not all power sinks (things that use power) use power the same way.

My work showed that cloak and radar jammer draw power from a ships capacitor asynchronously with power generation at a rate which varies with client connection quality. Unfortunately there are not many ways to address connection quality, but evaluating the power on the server for each loaded ship I feel is a better alternative to the current and completely unpredictable situation.

To break this down:
    If we exclude weapons as an obvious exception, power sinks and power sources do not get evaluated at the same time and then applied to the capacitor. They instead are evaluated whenever it becomes necessary using a ships capacitor as sort of a buffer.

The obvious solution to fix this (and prevent stealth ships de-cloaking when they clearly have sufficient power generation) I suggest is the following:
    Case 1: Weapons
    Subtract weapon power cost per tick from the capacitor as normal.
    Case 2: Radar jam, Cloak, Scanner, Jump drive/inhibitor, Shield recharge, Rail mass enhancers and anything else I've forgotten
    Capacity = Capacity + (Total gain from power sources - Total cost from power sinks)

This should take care of every potentiality but if you think of one that you don't think is then please mention it so I can address it if necessary.
    What are other player's thoughts on the issue of cloaked ships (with or without aux power) de-cloaking when they clearly shouldn't?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I use a lot of cloaked ships. The only time they decloak when they should not is when the server is under stress or my connection goes bad. That effects other things to like not being able to jump even though your jump drive is fully loaded.

Beware that armor adds weight and weight draws extra power. Holding the charge jump drive button while accelerating also adds extra power drain.

Firing weapons will break your cloak but not your radar jam. What i do is decloak fire my weapons and recloak. That way you don't get the cool down penalty.

You need enough power stored to fire your weapons. Don't let it go to the point the firing the weapons depletes all power as then there is a delay in the power charge preventing you from recloaking.

Reaction score
    He's not looking for advice, nor does he seem to need it. Instead, he's proposing a reasonable solution to the problem of spontaneously decloaking vessels.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    I think ping/synch is definately an issue, but in my experience it's not an issue if you don't "redline" the system. I'm also not sure what you're getting at in power equation there. I think the simulation drawing power "as it's used" for all systems as they tick is a bit more in line. Unless you're pushing for an updated/accumulated universal value only on specific frames?

Reaction score
    Really, a continuous power production instead of one second intervals would be more useful, unless everything power-draining is just limited to occurring in second intervals, to allow regen a chance to keep up.