[TuT] Steam overlay in Starmade

Reaction score
    (My main language is Polish so there may be some typos!)
    Have You ever tried to make Steam Overlay work with Starmade but You failed? Well, if You do everything as shown below, You should be able to surf the internet without alt-tabbing out of Starmade!

1. Add javaw.exe to Steam as a shortcut.
    Don't worry, if you installed java without changing the directory, it should be in
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\".​
    (If Your OS is x64, You could use the x64 java, just change the "\Program Files (x86)\" to "\Program Files\")

2. Locate Your Starmade launcher exe or jar.
    Shift-RMB on the file and click "Copy as path".

3. Edit the properties of the Java shortcut in Your Steam Library.
    RMB on java and click "Properties". Then in "Target:" change the directory to:
    "[your java location]" -jar (paste the path here)".​
    Mine's looking like this:
    "C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "D:\games\StarMade-Starter.exe".
    Then in "Start In:" paste the path again but now, delete the launcher file part, like that:
    "D:\games\StarMade-Starter.exe" ---> "D:\games\".​
    The name and the icon is up to You!​

Everything should be working if You set it up correctly. Have fun!

Reactions: Sven_The_Slayer
    Reaction score
    Is Steam count the Hours of playing Starmade in my Account? Or only for use internet browser in game?

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Is Steam count the Hours of playing Starmade in my Account? Or only for use internet browser in game?
    I think steam can only track stats of games in the library. I like having the overlay so chat functions work and you can use the steam screenshot function, although starmade has a good screenshot system already.

Reaction score
    I think steam can only track stats of games in the library. I like having the overlay so chat functions work and you can use the steam screenshot function, although starmade has a good screenshot system already.
    Ah okay thanks by the way :)