Turret placement help needed <---Moderator, can you close this?

Reaction score
    Okay. So my currently being built "dreadnought" (It's going to be more of a mothership and just the command deck gives the ship over 30 million power capacity. The command deck is length 560m+ and 374m wide if you want to know and there will be a saucer ( the saucer is much larger, by how much, not sure as its still on paper) like hull under it holding multiple hanger bays and a couple massive power cores and shield generators) (The ship is going to resemble a Star Trek federation cruiser) So basically it's going to have a huge ton of multi-purpose turrets (each one has rapid fire cannons, lock in missiles or sniper cannons and missile + beam) however when I mean a ton of them I mean like practically 1/3ish of the ship is covered in them, which brings up the problem, what is the quickest and most efficient way to place down 1,000+ turrets? In the past for a trial battleship I used a "turret carrier" but it was horribly inefficient. Any ideas? And yes, I'm working on it on my own.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Depending on how you set this up you can build things into a mounting plate to speed things up. I use this with multiple power cores but it also works with some turrets depending on setup.

I build a frame and that fits into the power room with the cores fitted. In my case I was trying to put 48 of them in so I built a frame that holds 16 of them. Dock up 16 add temporary thrusters. Blueprint the frame with 16 docked reactors. Then fly it up dock it up then remove the thrusters. I have built a frame that 6 turrets sat inside the hull. Also required to power the 6 turrets. But tricky to setup a lot of mucking about.

In the case of turrets the majority of the time is wasted flying. If you make a frame with many turrets on it and thrusters and blueprint it. Then fly that to where the turrets need to dock. Jump into build mode on the frame and remove all the rails which undocks the turrets or just use an admin command to delete the frame. Now all the turrets should be in docking range of the ship. This should save you a bunch of time.

Reaction score
    Ah well I'll be adding the turrets after I complete most of the ship. Which probably won't be completed for another couple months due to how large it's supposed to be on paper.

Reaction score
    Depending on size, you could template or copy/paste them onto dock points with a rail docker and core for the turret in place already.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I've heard in forums that it will almost always be better to consolidate so many turrets into fewer, more massive turrets. More massive turrets cover both larger versions of existing turrets, as well as multiturret racks.

If I were you, I'd not only consolidate turrets (I know, not optimal), but I would also wait to see if the devs decide to implement build-mode blueprint insertion (adding a turret from your blueprint list directly to a turret rotor in build mode). Blueprint insertion is a hugely popular suggestion, so I figure the dev team will implement it sooner or later.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    1000+ turrets eh?............

I suggest you modify your plans. That is a bit ambitious. What is the largest ship you have completed and tested before this one?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    what is the quickest and most efficient way to place down 1,000+ turrets?
    Be aware that every core is an entity and that loading to many of them in one sector will crash StarMade or the server that is hosting it. You may also not be able to move the ship without setting of every alarm bell on the residents admin lag warning screen. If this ship is to opperate in a Multi player environment then it should still work even while around other players.

I'm not saying don't do it don't get me wrong. But get an admin in on it and let him spawn it and test it a few times. Before hanging it full like a christmas tree. It will save you a lot of disappointment. I did this with my Enhanced Pocket Battleship and could make revisions before committing to fill the blueprint. As others allready said having less and better designed turrets works way better.

Resently on some of the more populated servers "not gona say any names here" people had there whole Home Base with docked ships get /destroy_entity_dock by the admin because it lagged. They didn't even bother to selectively lower the entity count. Since most server owners don't play the game they just host it. And do not want to be bothered by it going wild every two hours.

Edit Lukwan we both thoughed the same thing ;)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Also its possible to lag out the server enough that the turret don't align with the target its trying to shoot resulting it in never firing as the turret is switching between aiming to each side of the target but not being within the angle it can fire at.

Reaction score
    1000+ turrets eh?............

I suggest you modify your plans. That is a bit ambitious. What is the largest ship you have completed and tested before this one?
    as someone said I might decide to combine a bunch of the turrets into one
    [doublepost=1471106463,1471106408][/doublepost]Also The ship will only be like around 300-400m tall, 1.5/3 of it being the lower hull..... actually probably less... as the hangers are designed to be holding disposable drones like the imaged linked, but perhaps a bit smaller
    [doublepost=1471107167][/doublepost]
    Be aware that every core is an entity and that loading to many of them in one sector will crash StarMade or the server that is hosting it. You may also not be able to move the ship without setting of every alarm bell on the residents admin lag warning screen. If this ship is to opperate in a Multi player environment then it should still work even while around other players.

I'm not saying don't do it don't get me wrong. But get an admin in on it and let him spawn it and test it a few times. Before hanging it full like a christmas tree. It will save you a lot of disappointment. I did this with my Enhanced Pocket Battleship and could make revisions before committing to fill the blueprint. As others allready said having less and better designed turrets works way better.

Resently on some of the more populated servers "not gona say any names here" people had there whole Home Base with docked ships get /destroy_entity_dock by the admin because it lagged. They didn't even bother to selectively lower the entity count. Since most server owners don't play the game they just host it. And do not want to be bothered by it going wild every two hours.

Edit Lukwan we both thoughed the same thing ;)
    I'm pretty sure not all of it will be in one sector at one time.......
    Also the hangers is just hypothetical, I may not add them...I probably won't as I won't need it. So the lower hull will simply a couple energy/shield cores. also I might turn some of the turrets into forward mounts on the saucer
    [doublepost=1471108779][/doublepost]I might settle for the numbers of barrels for an equivalent of 1000+ turrets *the turrets I mentioned were going to have 2-4 barrels.* which is technically 2-4 turrets for me. -_- I know having too many entities will lag the server all too well, (I accidentally spawned in about 50 defense platforms with 40+ turrets on it, each had 2 cores, I may of spawned in about 3000-4000 entities in one sector by accident :p) The yellow area may reduce in size due to the non-existant hanger bay further increasing "empty space"

Attachments

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Woah....maybe go smaller on turret numbers. Over 1000 entities on a multi-million block vessel is just begging for lag and crashes.

Maybe make some absurdly large turrets (And no multiple barrels on a turret base. Those just glitch out. They won't track targets properly) and place down fewer of them. Otherwise you will probably hate the process of placing turrets while lagging to death.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Here is a diagram of the ship's hypothetical saucer size if that helps. So yeah..... I hope the devs work on the blueprint spawning system.... XD also I Zoomed out
    For a saucer, I would recommend one gigantic ball turret in the middle (I know, it's irritating to relocate the bridge elsewhere). Either that, or the fancy turret-around-the-edge of the saucer, with the y-axis rotor in the center of the saucer. These two solutions give you a single large turret with 360 degree (or nearly so...) coverage without being exceedingly ugly. You could theoretically combine these two turret options, but the outer edge turret will require an extra hollow area inside the ball turret for the edge-turret's y-axis rotor.

Reaction score
    1000+ turrets, welcome to lag heaven. Best way to bring them in is build a tray and put 5+ turrets on it and blueprint them in.
    Will be easier with admin commands/singleplayer.

Fly the tray to the ship and have friends undock/dock to the ship, repeat

Reaction score
    High angle gun basic example.png
    Woah....maybe go smaller on turret numbers. Over 1000 entities on a multi-million block vessel is just begging for lag and crashes.

Maybe make some absurdly large turrets (And no multiple barrels on a turret base. Those just glitch out. They won't track targets properly) and place down fewer of them. Otherwise you will probably hate the process of placing turrets while lagging to death.
    ...Why would I put barrels on the base? Turrets I build are "high angle" turrets, they have two cores one for the base and one for the barrel, attached to the base via a rail docker. This allows the barrels to move up and down hence the name "high angle gun" like the image I posted
    **Note I won't be placing many of these on...primarily for missile defense.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    ????? Turret naming conventions:
    Mothership: First entity in the chain. Has turret axis for base entity.
    Base: Second entity in the chain. Rotates via turret axis.
    Barrel: Third entity in chain. Rotates.

The way you described it sounded like you were going to use multiple separate barrel entities on one rotating base. Which is a very bad idea.

Reaction score
    For a saucer, I would recommend one gigantic ball turret in the middle (I know, it's irritating to relocate the bridge elsewhere). Either that, or the fancy turret-around-the-edge of the saucer, with the y-axis rotor in the center of the saucer. These two solutions give you a single large turret with 360 degree (or nearly so...) coverage without being exceedingly ugly. You could theoretically combine these two turret options, but the outer edge turret will require an extra hollow area inside the ball turret for the edge-turret's y-axis rotor.
    -_- hard to move the "bridge" when its apart of the "command deck" I'd have to rebuild a 85000+ block unfinished command deck as the core is located on the bridge within the command deck behind multiple layers of advanced armor and soon to be strong shields
    [doublepost=1471215802,1471215602][/doublepost]
    ????? Turret naming conventions:
    Mothership: First entity in the chain. Has turret axis for base entity.
    Base: Second entity in the chain. Rotates via turret axis.
    Barrel: Third entity in chain. Rotates.

The way you described it sounded like you were going to use multiple separate barrel entities on one rotating base. Which is a very bad idea.
    Those are added as "anti missile/fighter turrets" I use single core turrets for anti capital ship/starbase warfare. thats what the "Massive turrets" are on the ship, anti capital ship weapons.

**I only need better angling turrets for fast moving targets, a capital ship is less likely to be able to evade a non-angling gun, but a fighter can, and these huge ships turn SLOWLY. So I make sure I have some weapons that can deal with fighters so they can't strafe me as easily and missiles can be shot down.
    or for example if a fighter is directly above me, the ship could easily be bombarded by fighters from directly above.

Attachments

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    That missile turret isn't going to do squat against anything. That won't take down most peoples' drones, let alone fighters. Don't even think about it harming capital vessels.

It's far too small for the task you want it perform.

Basic turret design says that you make a base. It contains rail mass enhancers (If necessary) and possibly shields. The barrel should have the weapons systems and be capable of whatever amount of rotation you want. Do not add multiple barrels. Don't bother with additional turrets on top of existing turrets. There's no point, it just creates more lag and glitches. Make sure that all your turrets (Except for the very largest meant to destroy ships of your own size) have good firing arcs---if this ship becomes as big as you claim it's going to be, you are gonna be getting outmaneuvered by vessels with half a million mass....which would hurt if you don't have adequate turrets.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    That turret won't do squat against anything.

First of all, you have two barrel entities connected to one base. So basically each entity could potentially aim at separate enemies, with both trying to control the base. Bad things happen.

Second, By the looks of things you have a single Cannon-Cannon setup. That's all well and good for shooting down missiles, but its pathetic damage and even unshielded ships would laugh at you.

Thirdly, it looks kind of ugly. Not really important, but eh.

Reaction score
    That turret won't do squat against anything.

First of all, you have two barrel entities connected to one base. So basically each entity could potentially aim at separate enemies, with both trying to control the base. Bad things happen.

Second, By the looks of things you have a single Cannon-Cannon setup. That's all well and good for shooting down missiles, but its pathetic damage and even unshielded ships would laugh at you.

Thirdly, it looks kind of ugly. Not really important, but eh.
    its an EXAMPLE.
    therefore not being placed. as I'm designing newer ones.