Turret options

Reaction score
    Turret options,
    I like the current turret options but also at the same time I think we need a enemy selection in it rather then any. So if your not attacked the turrets won't attack but if your attacked and the the ship or ships turn in to enemys. Besides the fact if your on a pvp sever I guess any would be ok but being on a pve sever or a sever that has certain condtions that must be met be for you attack.That way you would not have to worry about your turrets attacking friends or random people passing by.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Turret options,
    I like the current turret options but also at the same time I think we need a enemy selection in it rather then any. So if your not attacked the turrets won't attack but if your attacked and the the ship or ships turn in to enemys. Besides the fact if your on a pvp sever I guess any would be ok but being on a pve sever or a sever that has certain condtions that must be met be for you attack.That way you would not have to worry about your turrets attacking friends or random people passing by.
    If you set your turret to "SELECTED TARGET", you an actually build "safeties" on your turrets to keep them from firing. Dock a 3rd entity to the cannon barrel with a force field/door in front of the weapon output. Use wireless logic to turn off the barrier and allow the turret to fire. This method works surprisingly well for me.

The only downside is that the turret will ONLY engage the target you select.

Also, I think AI can be switched on/off via logic now. I haven't tested it yet though.

Edited for correction as per Coyote27

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Doesn't "any" only attack hostiles anyway?
    Selected Target is the dangerous one, meaning that you need to turn your turret AI off unless going into battle.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    "any" attacks any hostile (red) target. You can then set 'treat neutral as hostile' to set neutral factions to the red marker too. Neutrals can also be set to hostile upon them attacking you.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Doesn't "any" only attack hostiles anyway?
    Selected Target is the dangerous one, meaning that you need to turn your turret AI off unless going into battle.
    You are correct. I've edited my post accordingly. Thanks.

A safety on a turret set to "Selected Target" will achieve the desired effect. On the other hand, safeties on turrets set to "any" may come in handy when docked at a non faction base to prevent accidental war declarations. It can also keep your turrets from killing you by accident when you get attacked outside of your ship.

Reaction score
    So what your saying is a turret set to any won't attack random people and only attack people that attack first?

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    So what your saying is a turret set to any won't attack random people and only attack people that attack first?
    That is correct. UNLESS your faction is set to "consider neutral hostile"; in which case your turrets will shoot at almost anything that isn't part of your faction.

Clarification:

ANY = turret fires at hostiles only and ignores everything else unless your faction is set to "consider neutral hostile".

SELECTED TARGET = turret aims at and fires at whatever you select; be it friend, foe or neutral.