1. Hey Guest! We're currently translating StarMade. Anyone can translate, if you can, feel free to!
      Dismiss Notice
    2. Hey Guest! We're currently looking for new forum administrators. If this interests you, head over to this thread.
      Dismiss Notice

Transporter Chains.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Daniel L., Apr 21, 2017 at 8:02 AM.

1. Daniel L.

It should be possible for teleporters to chained together as relays to allow the player a seamless teleportation over long distances.

Sorry I could not write this longer, I'm strapped for time. I may fill out more details later.

• Like Like x 1
    2. alterintel

alterintel moderator

I thought this was uniquley appropriate here:

A really cool Idea. I like it.

Measures would have to be put in place to prevent abuse though.

3. KaRe

How would that work, since transporters usually target objects in the same sector? You'd need a huge chain of ships and pray no one finds them.

4. Ithirahad

Ithirahad Arana'Aethi

They can. Transporters can take you to an adjacent loaded sector. One ship/station per sector can do that for you.

5. aRottenKomquat

As a similar suggestion, what do you guys think of a higher tier of transporter that allows far greater distances (several star systems perhaps), but costs like 1000x more resources and power to use? And it can only target the tier 2 transporters, not the current short-range ones.

6. Brokengauge

Can't we already do that with warp gates? Or do those only work on ships? I haven't messed with them yet....

7. aRottenKomquat

I think warpgates only work on ships. I don't know if you can walk through or not in astronaut mode.

8. Brokengauge

That'd be funny if it only worked on ships. What if you have passengers? You and your ship warp out, and they're stuck in open space? lol

• Funny Funny x 1
    9. Ithirahad

Ithirahad Arana'Aethi

Anything that happens to a ship is supposed to happen to aligned players as well, but this is kinda besides the point, as... yes, players can walk through warpgates. This was added a while ago. If it broke, it's broken and that's a bug.

10. KaRe

Which adds another question. Why should we add this if warp gates can practically do the same thing, and at a greater distance as well? Transporters are meant to be short range warp gates that are exclusive to players, warp gates are meant to be sector to sector and system to system anything that passes through it.

Edit: Plus, with the FOW update, warp gate lines aren't visible on the map until you encounter one of the entrances.

#10 KaRe, Apr 21, 2017 at 5:12 PM
      Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 5:17 PM
    11. Ithirahad

Ithirahad Arana'Aethi

We shouldn't add this. :P

Transporters aren't meant to be 'short range warpgates', they're meant to be site-to-site transporters for convenience (and to make certain NPC mechanics simpler later on). Warpgates are meant to be long-range transport gateways for practicality.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Valiant70

Valiant70 Cyborg Ninjaneer

Astronauts may float through warp gates. At least, that used to work. I haven't tried lately.

• Informative Informative x 1
    13. Lone_Puppy

Wheb they first came out i setup transport relays from our planet to the nearest shop 5 sectors away. Was way more convenient than flying there. Would have been great if i could chain link them like McKays gates.

14. MrGrey1

Personally I'd be happy if I could just activate a transporter with a button rather then having to open the gui. Other then ease of use it would also enable setting a transporter to a specific destination and then hiding the terminal so that the transporter was only usable to that one preset destination. This would make setting up a rigid transport systems around a vessel an option and allow much greater control over who could go where...

• Agree Agree x 3