Read by Council Transport through a Warp Gate

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Hello again!

This idea is to allow a transporter to be linked to a warp gate, and then the player could teleport through the warp gate to another transporter on the other side if one exists.

For example:

1. Create a warp gate at your home base
    2. Create a warp gate at a secondary base.
    3. Link the warp gates both ways.
    4. Create a transporter and pad on both bases, pressing C on the transporter computer and V on the warp gate.
    5. Whoever has access to the specific transporters which are connected to the warp gates, they have the option to transport to the transporter on the other side of the warp gate on the other base.

This would make it easier to have seamless access to multiple bases, which would not only be cool, but it could help reduce server lag since players wouldn't have to build as large. It would also be easier to limit the access to the other base, because a clever player could basically create tiny warp gates that are blocked in, and only allow other players to teleport between bases as astronauts.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Personally I think the better option would be to fix small gates so when you walk through it you can walk out the other side similar to Stargate instead of using a transporter.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Personally I think the better option would be to fix small gates so when you walk through it you can walk out the other side similar to Stargate instead of using a transporter.
    That would be nice too. But the problem is what happens if the entity warping is bigger than the warp gate? Chaos and clipping?

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    That would be nice too. But the problem is what happens if the entity warping is bigger than the warp gate? Chaos and clipping?
    Well you couldn't transport an entity through. I'm sure players and entities can be handled differently. Gates designed for ships would have to move ships outside of the bounding box of a station.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Well you couldn't transport an entity through. I'm sure players and entities can be handled differently. Gates designed for ships would have to move ships outside of the bounding box of a station.
    Yeah, that is true, but I feel there is a debate to be had here between patchworking warpgates to work differently between transporting entities and astronauts vs it being more realistic and treating them both the same. I feel your idea is simpler and I do like it, don't get me wrong, but I also feel like it might detract from the realism a bit. Either warp gates need to transport ships and astronauts the same way (depositing them directly on the other side of the warp gate and could therefore NOT transport an entity that is bigger than the gate) OR transporters would be used to be what treats astronauts differently. This would preserve the continuity of how warp gates work and maintain realism in the StarMade universe.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Yeah, that is true, but I feel there is a debate to be had here between patchworking warpgates to work differently between transporting entities and astronauts vs it being more realistic and treating them both the same. I feel your idea is simpler and I do like it, don't get me wrong, but I also feel like it might detract from the realism a bit. Either warp gates need to transport ships and astronauts the same way (depositing them directly on the other side of the warp gate and could therefore NOT transport an entity that is bigger than the gate) OR transporters would be used to be what treats astronauts differently. This would preserve the continuity of how warp gates work and maintain realism in the StarMade universe.
    Oh yeah I would love if warp gates acted properly and you would actually pass through them either in a ship or on foot. I just don't know if it will happen, the game would have to check so many things to verify clearence, currently a gate only checks to see if your core passes the "event horizon" and, yes, warp-gates are still a core-centric mechanic. I've jumped ships much too big for my warp-gate simply by docking them to a rod and then piloting that rod through the gate.