To come before the controvercy

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Hello players.

Just to come before more controversy ensues. Since apparently "not saying anything in public" means immediately twitter about it to some people, I have to take action. Beetlebear and I decided to walk separate ways.

I didn't fire him. He decided to leave after I didn't accept his demand for 10% of the game's revenue.

I also could have never fired him since I didn't hire him to begin with. He always made sure I knew "it was not about the money", and despite giving 1500$ when he needed it, and offering 40% of youtube revenue and 10% of merchandise income, he not only left the game but also the friendship by starting to insult me as a selfish coward.

I would not bring this out in public had it not been initiated by him.

I worked hard for more then 8 years, and 10 hours straight almost every day since 3 years, so I think two sets of textures are not worth 10% of that. I appreciate and value his work still. Despite him thinking he did the critical promotion work that made StarMade into what it is now and had the "ideas", he fails to tell me what ideas he had that are actually used in the game, and there are already a lot people that have done more promotion that he has ever done. Every time he started a youtube series or something else weekly he stopped working on it after 2 weeks. You can still see the proof on the youtube channel and the forums. Lots of people not having any contact to me have more videos about starmade, and some even did those textures themselves.

I would still have given him money when the profit were at a certain point (and I still will probably do it despite all that drama)

Work and updates won't be affected by this at all, as that was always my work. I have to look for new textures though.

Well that is all I wanted to clarify here.

I'm sad I lost a good friend over this. I wish him the best!

cheers,

- schema

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Things worked very well for as long as I\'ve been around, and I\'m sorry to see this happen. You\'ve always come across as a team, but sometimes very difficult decisions have to be made. Good job standing up for yourself and your work.

Reaction score
    Terrible to lose a business partner. Even worse to lose a friend. I hope you and him work together in the future again. Sorry to hear about this.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'m sorry to hear this. I\'ve had something like that to me in the past. <3 Bro love.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'m very sorry to hear that. Sometimes human being can be.. irritating, or irrational. I don\'t blame you for what happened, though I am saddened at the game has only one dev as of now. Not that you\'re innadiquate, of course.

However, I do have a suggestion. Perhaps you could start putting up bits of broken code, or requests for textures that players could work on/create of their own free will, to help lighten the work load some, and perhaps quicken updates? It\'s just a thought that may come in handy. Thinking out loud, I suppose.

In all regards, the best of luck to you!

Reaction score
    Meh, Texture Artists are dime a dozen man. You need someone who wants to help you get the game to a beta status and actually not care about money until that point. Also 10% of the game\'s revenue is all fine and dandy as long as your putting in 10% of the work at a minimum. I would not say the friendship is over just wounded, time has a way of mending things between bros.

Reaction score
    im sorry to hear that, best wishes that starmade developes further and beetlebear with at sometime come back an apologize

Reaction score
    who needs him their is lots of ppl here that would gladly help code and design for free

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Change can be good, for both parties.

Looking forward to future updates.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    It always sucks when these things happen. I hope that you two can patch things up some day. Thanks for your hard work, schema!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Dang, that\'s a shame. You\'re right, if he hasn\'t put in 10% worth then that\'s perfectly fine. It\'s a shame the friendship went with it. I\'m sure you\'ll find a new texture artist, I\'m pretty good at it myself :D

TheBlueThunder

Algorithm of hacks
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Schema, we your fans can make texture packs for the game. It would be like a contest, who makes the best texture pack gets to have it in the game on each update. But of course you will be the one who picks the best, or you can make a voting system to make it fair for your fans.

Its just an idea.

MORE POWER SCHEMA!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'m truly sorry to hear this. But life goes on and so does StarMade, You have an epic fanbase, if BeetleBear truly beleives that he deserves 10% of the games revenue just for two pages of textures and a few suggestions, then he should feel ashamed, StarMade\'s fanbase has don ten times that, and not one of them has asked for 10% of the games revenue.

I know that it sucks to lose a good friend, I\'ve had that situation many times. But like everyone else, I well say, I\'m sure BeetleBear well come to his senses in time.

Thanks for this amzing game Schema!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
    Bugger. That\'s gotta hit hard. Sorry for the loss of a friend and partner. I know that feel, man. I really hope things between you can only get better.

Old friends make the most bitter enemies.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Probably best you cut him loose. I\'ve also learned sometimes its better to give a little more to ensure success, but I doubt it was with him.

Reaction score
    Glad you stood your ground Schema. Good luck in keeping your head cool with all this, I know how it feel, I recently got to deal with this twice since the beginning of the year... Feel free to take some time for yourself, losing friendships you thought true is a painful stab.

Reaction score
    But he sounds like a bit of an ass, two sets of textures doesn\'t deserve 10% of the profits, especially when you\'re the one working unholy hours for a (currently) free game. That is kind of manipulative, and breaks the trust in your friendship.

However, cutting a relationship is never easy, and while it may not seem like it you made a smart or correct decision you have and it will work better for you in the long run. I hope you do well, we\'re all hoping, and as always good luck with the game.