Tips for cloaking ships

Reaction score
    I've tried to make a ship with a cloaking device, but so far, the power drain has been to much to handle. Are there any tips to help me with building a ship that can cloak?

My best guess is that you have to have insane power regeneration to counteract the drain, but the bigger the ship, the greater the energy usage.

Reactions: Ghent96
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    The cloak's power drain is based on the mass of the ship so the vessel has to be very light with high power generation to stay permanently cloaked. Most of my cloak designs are not even armed, shielded, or armored, because that simply adds too much mass to make the cloak viable. I like to use motherboard blocks instead of hull to hold everything together because they are extremely light. And make sure to use extremely efficient power reactor layouts.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I've recently struggled with cloaking as well. First thing to try is if you haven't already replace your current reactor block with a checkerboard design, filling the gaps with other required components. Reactors generate a great deal more energy for their mass this way.

Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The key things to ensure are efficient reactor design, and a proper understanding of the conditions you're building to.
    For efficient reactor design, explained in detail, see the relevant wiki page. In summary, though, make each group of reactor blocks as large as possible, and try to ensure that each reactor block in a group increases the sum of that group's dimensions by one. Make as many large groups as possible for the size, as required by the power demands.

Cloaking takes 1,450 energy per second for every unit of mass and, since it is best used alongside radar jamming (50 e/sec/mass), the total drain is 1,500 e/sec/mass.

As previously mentioned, if you must use cladding or decorative blocks, make them very light blocks such as motherboard. Non-functional blocks should be kept to a minimum, though.

Cloakers do not make for combat ships, due to their heavy specialization; don't worry much about weapons or shielding.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Remember, too, that cloaking is only really useful against players. Since its unlikely that you can make a combat effective cloaking ship, you might want to consider just using a radar jammer. This will give you a lot more freedom of design, while still providing you with a good deal of stealth. Even if players can spot you visually, they still have to know where to look and that they should be looking for an enemy in the first place. Without a radar indicator, that can be quite difficult.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    That's a good point. The AI may still try to shoot at you if you're jamming, but in my experience most pirates will either completely ignore you or hit you so rarely that mild shielding and a radar jammer make you effectively invulnerable.

Reaction score
    Thank you all for your suggestions! I'll probably be making a ship with a jammer instead then.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    The best way to do a cloaking ship is to maximize reactor block efficiency. You do this by building long lines, crosses and/or angles. Make the reactor array take up the largest dimension possible while using the least amount of blocks.

This is an example of a small basic cloaker/jammer. Maximum overall dimensions taken up by a minimum amount of blocks. Many successful stealth scouts look like upscaled versions of this.
    starter jump cloaker.jpg

Push your efficiency (power output/mass) as high as you can go but don't don't bother trying to break the 2 million power regen soft cap; as the extra regen per block decreases rapidly to the point where you are just adding unnecessary mass. If you want to get fancy you can build a cloaking and jamming ship that looks like an actual "ship" by using motherboard blocks in place of hull.
    Stealth Meme.jpg

Motherboards have very low mass; allowing you to cover your ship with something other than system blocks and give it some aesthetic value. Be careful though, these blocks are strictly decorative and have no armor whatsoever. It's kind of like using paper or aluminum foil for hull plating; It looks pretty, but don't get hit.

Lastly, don't expect your stealth ship to be a badass space battle-shark of doom. Warheads still suck and it's very hard to fit enough conventional weaponry AND shields to be a threat to anything much bigger than an Isanth. Play to the ship's strength and intended purposes; things like reconnaissance, covert ops, and smuggling.

I cannot confirm for sure but there was talk of a way to use the new auxilliary power blocks to make substantially larger cloakers possible. I have not tested this so do your homework and see for yourself.

I hope this helps.

Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I cannot confirm for sure but there was talk of a way to use the new auxilliary power blocks to make substantially larger cloakers possible. I have not tested this so do your homework and see for yourself.
    Power Auxiliaries are definitely able to produce larger cloaking ships than we've seen before. Docked reactors were also able to, but the unreliability was always an issue. The most efficient possible Power Auxiliary grouping (in terms of power/block) should be 9,891 blocks, but we also don't know the extent to which SM rounds its calculations, so anywhere close to there is pretty good, too.

At 9,891 blocks per auxiliary, you're getting 1,908,326 e/sec, 1,483,650 e/sec of which goes back into stealthing the aux group in question (1,500*989.1). That leaves 424,676 e/sec profit for each efficient auxiliary group placed, enough to support 283.1 units of mass. That's a "profit" of 28.6% of the mass you invest in power generation, as an increase in maximum supported mass (although upkeep costs for shields, thrust, etc. will cut into this a bit).

Power auxiliaries are actually a bit of a godsend for large-scale cloaking: they work best in configurations where damage to an individual part of them is limited, and fortunately, cloakers provide a perfect opportunity for such layouts! The exceedingly large dimensions engendered by the placement of an efficient Power Reactor setup also allow for Power Auxiliaries to be placed over significant surface areas, ideally in 1-block layers such that an explosion deals significantly less damage to a grouping than it otherwise could. Obviously, such a ship is still stunningly fragile, but Power Auxiliaries provide a way to give it some form, without sacrificing function.

Reaction score
    power drain has been to much to handle. Are there any tips to help me with building a ship that can cloak?
    The most basic tip for cloacing ships is, that the cloaking is not possible for very small ships below 15m length or so. They also need enough energy reactor lines. Its pretty easy if you make a ship of 20m into all dimension. I bet you tried some very small design based on your logic of "more power blocks mean less efficiency" - but thats not true, up to a certain point adding energy reactors gives a bonus to the former energy reactor if laid out in the normal reactor pattern.

And here we have many examples for you to take into account.

(I linked to the entry where I posted the smallest possible scout design - if you go smaller in dimensions the energy efficiency is not high enough. As you see, no one posted full time cloaker below 13m length.)

Personally I think thats absolutely illogical, but they made the cloaking formula so that really small scouts are not possible. (and I hope they one day fix that because thats just another thing that does not work in starmades combat)

Last edited:

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    The most basic tip for cloacing ships is, that the cloaking is not possible for very small ships below 15m length or so.
    Would you like to make a wager on that? o_O

Reaction score
    Would you like to make a wager on that? o_O
    Nah I tried to explain it for him in easy words. He stated he was not able to build a perma cloaker at all, so the first thing he needed to know was how he can manage to build one. =)

But I am curious: whats the smallest count of energy reactors you need to perma cloack? And whats the smallest count of reactors you need to perma cloack and have full speed? I did not manage to go below 13m without looking totally strange.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Smallest count? Sorry but I don't have the exact number. But have a look at this little guy.

SR-SB1 (Dare Devil)

An ultra light deep space reconnaissance craft/stealth bomber.

Dimensions: 11m long, 11m wide, 6m tall, mass; 12.4.
    Equipment: 2 torpedoes, cloaking device, radar jammer. Both the cloak and jammer can be run continuously while moving.
    This was from before I learned about motherboard blocks. I could probably make it look even more 'ship-like" and put a warp drive and a scanner on it if I removed the torpedoes.

Little Stealth Bomber.jpg

Reaction score
    So the challenge would be to get one below 10m? :D

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Challenge accepted... o_O

Reaction score
    You don't have to. No one forces you. Btw. I hope you know that challenges are nothing about a competition - I am not so horny about building another stealther. Nahhh maybe I am but I don't want to compete with you ;)

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Don't misunderstand. This isn't about competition. It's just good clean fun.

When someone says things to me like; "No way! You can't do that! That's impossible! :eek:" I have no choice but to exceed your expectations. That's what being a builder is all about; rising to the challenge and doing the unthinkable. You have to leave them wondering "How in the hell did you do that!?"

Why? You have to. Why do you have to? Because you can! ;)

In any case, the decision has already been made. If at all possible, I must now find out if it is indeed possible to make a perma-cloaker/jammer smaller than 11 x 11 x 6.

Stay tuned...

...oh and Tepacana, take good notes... this is going to be fun.

Crashmaster

I got N64 problems but a bitch ain't one
    Reaction score
    Cloaking+jamming hasn't really ever changed. Years ago small cloak ships could be and were made. These were two of my first ten ships ever. They were meant to fit in non-enhanced 7x7x7 docking areas.

Grasshopper

Unnamed

yuk

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I managed to make a permacloak/jammed ship with scanners and jump drive 8l/6t/7w ,It wasn't pretty and couldn't fly/cloak/charge jumps at same time ( the final downfall getting blown out of sky by pirates at 40k!) but if smarter then I worked quite well for station blitz's.

Reactions: Dr. Whammy

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I managed to make a permacloak/jammed ship with scanners and jump drive 8l/6t/7w ,It wasn't pretty and couldn't fly/cloak/charge jumps at same time ( the final downfall getting blown out of sky by pirates at 40k!) but if smarter then I worked quite well for station blitz's.
    Curses! foiled again... You know what they say; If you can't be the first, make sure you're not the worst... :confused:

I'll try and see if I can fit engines and a jumper on it and still keep it stable. I want to see just how far we can push this.