Thrust Management by thruster group

JNC

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Can we get some additional options in the thrust management window that allow us to manage either specific thruster groups or all groups, etc. This way, for example, we could designate a specific group of thrusters that are on the side of a ship to only provide sideways thrust to the thrust pool!

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Given the potential number of thrusters that SM would have to track, it makes sense to keep the option global for each ship.

If this suggestion gets traction I would also like to see logic control for thruster-groups and a limit of eight groups per ship.

JNC

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well, SM already tracks every individual block, and block groups; hit 'G' and than 'entity structure' and you'll find them there. Not suggesting logic or a limitation of groups.... sounds like a new thread you should make.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I feel like this might be a bit of an issue for me, seeing as how I use thrusters as a filler block once all my weapons, power, shields, armor, and passives are in...

JNC

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It would be an additional option... you could 'manage' individual groups or just stick with all the thrusters.

Reaction score
    It wouldn't be necessary to have thrust management at all - thrust could simply be assigned by the direction thrusters are facing.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    It wouldn't be necessary to have thrust management at all - thrust could simply be assigned by the direction thrusters are facing.
    And destroy every existing ship, while making the game more complex and getting around outside bases via thrustersticks more difficult at the same time?

Reaction score
    And destroy every existing ship, while making the game more complex and getting around outside bases via thrustersticks more difficult at the same time?
    Alpha?

Thrustersticks would just require 6 thrusters instead of 1.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Alpha?

Thrustersticks would just require 6 thrusters instead of 1.
    Alpha is not a reason to break every single existing ship for zero reason. What does block-based directional thrust actually add to the game, besides making building a ship a bigger pain in the ass, and, as stated previously, requiring you to make a shitty ball of thrusters instead of a 3 block long stick when you just want to be able to quickly move your ass from point A to point B around a sector?

Reaction score
    Lecic is right. The present thrust mechanism is good enough. You CAN change your thruster settings so that "one bank" provides sideways thrust---set it so that a slightly larger percent of total thrust is for sideways. RP the rest. The global menu gives us all the options we need, no reason to get more complicated.

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I as a person who likes to use thrusters in a decorative way honestly don't like the idea of making something I use for decorative use messing around with the thrust profile of my ships.

Reaction score
    Alpha is not a reason to break every single existing ship for zero reason. What does block-based directional thrust actually add to the game, besides making building a ship a bigger pain in the ass, and, as stated previously, requiring you to make a shitty ball of thrusters instead of a 3 block long stick when you just want to be able to quickly move your ass from point A to point B around a sector?
    Relax, my idea isn't new or obscure, it's obvious. The devs have undoubtedly considered it in the past and decided not to use it.

It's just that the OP's idea adds nothing to the game. It's effectively identical to the system we have, except that your thrust profile may change as you take damage. So he may as well either not make the suggestion, or go all the way and suggest thrust by module direction.

But just for the sake of it, to reply to your actual post:

It would be trivial for the devs to include a conversion to the new system which would just rotate existing thrust blocks according to the percentages in the thrust settings. No need for anything to break. Did you object to the removal of docked thrusters breaking ships? There's no auto-conversion for that.

What it adds to the game is more control than the current system: forward, back, left right, up down all become individual values, so there's more scope for lowering thrust in chosen directions to improve ship efficiency.
    Also it would allow "swing-wing" designs, where docked thrusters can be rotated to change the thrust profile on the fly as needed. All manoeuvrability thrust could be diverted to forward thrust to escape a fight for example.
    It would also allow for tugs to move large ships into docks faster than they can move themselves.

The terrible, terrible cost and inconvenience of placing 5 extra thrusters requires a pretty dramatic point of view to describe it as "shitty" compared to one with 5 less thrusters. I doubt it would factor into the decision of any new feature.

Last edited:

JNC

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Look... lol, by having the OPTION to manage thrust groups individually or not it would cater to those of us that want a changing thrust profile with damage, and those of us that do not. I'm not suggesting thrust based on module direction (even though i myself am ok with that).

Obviously 80% of you that are all butt hurt about this would just not use the additional management and would stick with the 'all or none' option.

Reactions: Lecic

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    It would be trivial for the devs to include a conversion to the new system which would just rotate existing thrust blocks according to the percentages in the thrust settings.
    And you know this based on your extensive history of working on Starmade's code, I assume? Nevermind that thrust profiles don't even properly save with the blueprint.

Did you object to the removal of docked thrusters breaking ships? There's no auto-conversion for that.
    I don't object to overpowered exploits being removed, no. Also, ships with docked thrusters patched still worked. It's not like docked thrust was REMOVED. They just became slower.

What it adds to the game is more control than the current system: forward, back, left right, up down all become individual values, so there's more scope for lowering thrust in chosen directions to improve ship efficiency.
    And could this not be accomplished by just making the thrust sliders include separate forward, back, left, right, up, and down values, instead of the current merged f/b, l/r, u/d system?

Block-based directional thrust adds nothing to the game that the existing system combined with an optional "per group" system don't already have, and would make shipbuildng and general QoL within the game worse.

Reaction score
    And you know this based on your extensive history of working on Starmade's code, I assume? Nevermind that thrust profiles don't even properly save with the blueprint.
    Extensive? No.
    But yes, I am familiar with the ship file structures, and it's trivial to rotate blocks.

I don't object to overpowered exploits being removed, no. Also, ships with docked thrusters patched still worked. It's not like docked thrust was REMOVED. They just became slower.
    I'm sure there are plenty of players who feel it broke their ships: "breaking" ships is acceptable in Alpha.
    (I personally support aux power instead of docked thrusters).

And could this not be accomplished by just making the thrust sliders include separate forward, back, left, right, up, and down values, instead of the current merged f/b, l/r, u/d system?
    Absolutely it could.

Block-based directional thrust adds nothing to the game that the existing system combined with an optional "per group" system don't already have, and would make shipbuildng and general QoL within the game worse.
    The per group system doesn't have any effect eccept to change the thrust profile as the ship is damaged.
    I've already given you examples of what it could add to the game that other systems can't.

Again, don't get so upset. It isn't going to happen.

JNC

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The per group system doesn't have any effect eccept to change the thrust profile as the ship is damaged.
    I've already given you examples of what it could add to the game that other systems can't.

Again, don't get so upset. It isn't going to happen.
    And don't forget, the suggestions isn't for an 'either / or' system, it's just for the option to have both. It would be on a ship-by-ship basis... I think it has RP value if the group of thrusters, for example, that face one way actually thrust that way. Obviously, if you use thruster blocks for decoration than you wouldn't use this option as it would have poor results.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Ya know...

...push and pull computers are already logic link-able and make for a fun 'cruise-control' or air-brakes.

What if we turned them sideways or on their head? If a Push drive would push in any direction that the computer faced (like weapon comps) this thread would be moot.

Directional Push computer.

Last edited: