Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Support Alterintel

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Just a much needed poll on what people think about the Power and Shield systems. I'm very curious (as are you) what people *really* feel.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    For reactors; most of the problem can be solved by severely reducing the distance between reactors and stabilisers - something like "distance = min( pow( (reactor_blocks - 1000), 0.3333) + 10, 1)".

For RC; I think it should be more like "number of RC points = 99 + reactor level" (where chambers cost a fixed number of points rather than a fixed percentage), so that larger ships get a small improvement in chamber flexibility. "Same chamber compromises as a noob that joined the server 10 minutes ago" is not an adequate reward for spending hundreds of hours of mining and manufacturing to be able to build a large ship.

For shields; the bubbles are excessively difficult (especially if you try to have multiple independent shield generators) because there's too many dependencies - power consumption depends on both regen and capacity, bubble size depends on regen, shield generator placement depends on bubble sizes and ship shape, capacitor placement depends on generator placement and bubble size, ... Getting something that doesn't suck involves an excessive amount of compromises and "trial and error" and frustration. Some of these dependencies need to be removed or weakened (e.g. make the bubble size customisable to break the dependency between bubble size and regen/capacity/power consumption).

Ideally, I'd like it if the "shield generator XYZ box-dimensions" effected the bubble's XYZ shape, so you could make the bubble "egg shaped" (elliptical) by making one dimension longer than the others, and could use "3 sticks" for a large bubble or "dense cube" for a small bubble (with the same regen in both cases). However this wouldn't be too easy for developers to implement, and wouldn't be cheap (for overhead/performance).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    If Stabilizers could be reworked into something far more benifical to building and player engagement the system would be fine (with testing and minnor tweaks to the rest).

The stabalizor system is far worse for creative building (despite that being one of the GOALS of the system) and only harms the game in a misguided attempt to make RP ships "better" (while in fact it made them all far, far worse and somehow actually buffing hardcore PvP ships?? Wtf?).

As much as I love the devs I am suprised this made it into a pre-release build. The only concluesion I can draw from that is that whoever designed the system does not understand the core game mechanics, and has only basic knowledge of ship combat or building.

This is not acceptable for a chief game developer.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I thought I'd club together the Poll, now including both the main current issues :)

Exozen

C-D SOLDIER
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    ...As much as I love the devs I am suprised this made it into a pre-release build. The only concluesion I can draw from that is that whoever designed the system does not understand the core game mechanics, and has only basic knowledge of ship combat or building.

This is not acceptable for a chief game developer.
    The chief game developer does not play the game. The other devs only possess basic knowledge. The Creative Director, Bench, who actually knew shit, is dead, missing, or resigned silently.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Your poll is somewhat flawed, most people want stabilisers completely removed BECAUSE they're a useless mechanic that just forces needle ships.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I only want that logic pipe between reactors and stabilizers removed. Can't build properly with that in the way.

Reactions: Serene-Switch
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I only want that logic pipe between reactors and stabilizers removed. Can't build properly with that in the way.
    It's like an infestion slowly eating away and multiplying in your ship :3
    Still not the most... visually pleasing thing to have going down crew coridoors XD

Reaction score
    It's like an infestion slowly eating away and multiplying in your ship :3
    Still not the most... visually pleasing thing to have going down crew coridoors XD
    To be fair; there are special blocks that can be used control where the "purple beam" goes that can be used to make sure it doesn't go through crew corridors, etc.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    To be fair; there are special blocks that can be used control where the "purple beam" goes that can be used to make sure it doesn't go through crew corridors, etc.
    please be more specific. A lot more...

Reaction score
    "To be fair; there are special blocks that can be used control where the "purple beam" goes that can be used to make sure it doesn't go through crew corridors, etc."

please be more specific. A lot more...
    There's "stream node" blocks that can be used to control where the stream goes.

For an example, here's a picture that I stole (originally posted by Dire Venom - see Pre-Release Stab.Intergrity Update Dev Thread ):